Teen Scuba Camps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a list of some of the better-known ones.

1. SeaCamp (the original one). Oldest of the outfits. NAUI-run. Probably has the best OW certification program out of all the teen *camps*. Land-based out of Big Pine Key, priced better than international scuba programs. Dive sites are now regarded as mediocre, although the instruction is first rate.

2. CIMI. One of the 2 (or three?) teen scuba programs on Catalina Island. Considered a close second to SeaCamp in terms of scuba instruction. Temperate water diving. Pricing competitive.

3. ActionQuest. Oldest of the *active* Caribbean teen liveaboard programs. Primarily centered out of the northern Caribbean, but has other international trip options. More expensive than U.S.-based scuba programs, but the diving tends to be much better. Liveaboard trips offer opportunity to visit various ports of call, and get heaps of scuba diving in. Some programs favor sailing over scuba.

4A. Broadreach Summer Adventures. The other "big" international teen scuba outfit, intitially formed from ex-ActionQuest staff. Strong Caribbean liveaboard programs, but a large and growing variety of other international scuba trip options. All Broadreach programs have a community service component to them. Recreational programs similar to ActionQuest's.

4B. Broadreach Academic Treks. Broadreach's "academic" spinoff; pretty new. Scuba-based programs are college-accredited field courses. Also have community service options.

5. Odyssey Expeditions. Another Caribbean teen liveaboard outfit formed from ex-ActionQuest staff. Smaller operation, primarily limited to northern Caribbean.

6. SeaTrek BVI. Teensy Caribbean liveaboard program consisting of one or two boats, I *think*. Very mom and pop.

7. Sail Caribbean. I don't remember if this outfit has a scuba program, but it's well known for its sailing and recreational liveaboard trips. Sail Caribbean boats tend to travel around northern Caribbean in one large flotilla, which is kind of fun.

padrediver:
Seacamp was designed for 'budget teen dive camping".
They used to have scholarships, reducing cost to zero,
other than transport to Miami for Greyhound to Big Pine.
OK...it's not Broadreach....but it's got some of the best
coral reef diving around....or used to. The living accomodations
are rather spartan...but you are not going for 5* accomodations.
It's way, way better than NO scuba camp.
I went in "66/'67 and fondly recall the place to this day!(obviously)
They now charter there own busses, went there this summer and had a BLAST!!!!

I recomend sea camp to everyone and I mean everyone.

Only one dive site is medocore(ledge line) we normally make the haul out to lou key 30-60ft deep, great vis.

If anyone is considering going or sending there kids, talk to me.

Oh ya and...........

Does anyone remeber "Fish Camp" located in tavneier mm 99.7 it was sea camps rival untill it shut down in the 80's, my dad was the derector(SP) for a few years.

Its now a nice hotel, were I stay on keys trips.

hgroberts:
Only one dive site is medocore(ledge line) we normally make the haul out to lou key 30-60ft deep, great vis.
Diving off Big Pine Key is mediocre in comparison to the sites dove by the international dive camp companies. Even at Looe Key, assuming a seacamp trimaran can even get out there. Which they often can't in June or July due to rough seas, or the threat of rough seas. I know that area and those boats very, very well.

It's not the diving that's Seacamp's strong suit, however, but the snorkel-based marine science programs. I do recommend seacamp's NAUI OW certification program over anybody else's, as the quality of instruction and time allocated appear unbeatable by the competition, by a VERY long stretch. But if a teen is already a certified diver and wants to enroll in a scuba-intensive program (and can fork over the additional cash), operators like ActionQuest, Broadreach, and Odyssey are much better.

6. SeaTrek BVI. Teensy Caribbean liveaboard program consisting of one or two boats, I *think*. Very mom and pop.

We now have 5 boats:):) And we are the only summer camp at sea in the BVIs that own their own boats! Still very mom and pop as my wife and I run the program and are invovled with the day to day operations. We have 3 dedicated marine biologist that offer an indepth marine science program. Check us out...Sea Trek BVI; Sailing, Scuba Diving, & Marine Biology Summer Camps

Capt. Monk Daniel

Sail Caribbean offers a lot of diving opportunities in their programs. I know you can gain all levels of certification through some of their programs. Not only do they sail and dive around the Bahamas, BVI, Leeward & Windward Islands but I see they have expanded to Belize for this summer! Check them out!! Sail Caribbean

Im looking for a camp this summer(im 15) but i also play tons of lacrosse. I am not sure I have a 2 week period open without a tournement. Does anyone know of a liveaboard camp for only a week?

Back
Top Bottom