Telita, Papua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luci

Registered
Reaction score
Any comments on the live aboard Telita in Papua? Read some comments such as «*ask who is the skipper*»? ... She sails the Milne Bay area which is well reputed...?

Thanks

I was checking on this boat myself. There doesn't seem to be a lot of recent experience on this board with it. DontLieToMe, a board member, was on the boat last June and replied to a PM I had sent. He seemed to find the boat adequate but not stellar. In checking on the boat, I got some contradictory information. For instance, I read some sort of promotional material saying that the boat had gone through a further refit in 01/2003 and that all cabins had private bathrooms, but DontLieToMe wrote me that only two of five do. I also received an e-mail from Telita saying that Bob and Dinah Halstead will host all trips for 2004. I don't know if this is good or bad--though I imagine you would hear some amazing stories.

I'm in the middle of booking a trip for this summer. After talking with a couple travel agents about the trip, I'm using DiversionOz. They seem to be incredibly knowledgeable about the choices and are able to give good advice. I've been working with Phil Page phil@diversionoz.com and can highly recommend him. You might want to send him an e-mail.

Thanks Reubencahn!
I was already in touch with Diversionoz, Chrisje has been very attentive. I am basically trying to decide depending on availability and schedule of course between Febrina (that everyone raves about, but is more expensive).
Golden Dawn schedule does not work for me. Moolighting itinerary is too short 5, 6 days. Tiata sounds small but nice (someone said it was top end diving) but it is posed to go out for full charter... Just can't win!
I heard more than once that Papua is really best dived by live aboard. We dove a number of times in the Caribbean on the live aboard, and you just can't beat it.

I even considered the Solomon Islands but that's a good bit further to go...

still looking for the right solution...

I certainly understand your dilemna. The choices seem overwhelming. I've really appreciated Diversionoz' advice because it helped me cut through the clutter of information and focus on a couple of choices. It looks like I'm going to go with the Golden Dawn if there's availability and if I can afford it. If not, I'm going to do Star Dancer and some time at either Jais Aben or Tufi.

I didn't really consider Tiata because I had heard they only booked full charters. Telita looked appealing though a bit uncertain. But I'm going in the summer which is not supposed to be the best time to dive Milne Bay. I've never heard anything bad about Febrina. I certainly understand about the cost though. But on the other hand, just to do this trip is so expensive, I'd hate to make a bad choice over what in the end wouldn't be a real significant cost difference.

Also, a friend from the gym who spends a lot of time on liveaboards spent two weeks on the Bilikiki this past year. He said it was the most enjoyable diving he had ever done.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

I was on Bilikiki for two weeks this year. Quite good. Due to some disputes with islanders in some areas they are not diving some of the locations they have used in the past. However, I really enjoyed the diving.

reubencahn:
I certainly understand your dilemna. The choices seem overwhelming. I've really appreciated Diversionoz' advice because it helped me cut through the clutter of information and focus on a couple of choices. It looks like I'm going to go with the Golden Dawn if there's availability and if I can afford it. If not, I'm going to do Star Dancer and some time at either Jais Aben or Tufi.

I didn't really consider Tiata because I had heard they only booked full charters. Telita looked appealing though a bit uncertain. But I'm going in the summer which is not supposed to be the best time to dive Milne Bay. I've never heard anything bad about Febrina. I certainly understand about the cost though. But on the other hand, just to do this trip is so expensive, I'd hate to make a bad choice over what in the end wouldn't be a real significant cost difference.

Also, a friend from the gym who spends a lot of time on liveaboards spent two weeks on the Bilikiki this past year. He said it was the most enjoyable diving he had ever done.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom