Tell me about Destin Fla??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silverfish

Reaction score
Anyone want to tell me how to pack for Destin? Never been there myself.Will be there starting Oct 12. I haven't found a website simple enough to just give me info about the weather and water temps.Plenty of Real Estate info if you look at "Destin, Fla",in case anyone wants to know.

Will a 7/5 mm suit be too warm to wear in the water there?
Are the nights cool? Will I want long sleeves on the ocean during the day, if so ,for sun protection or to provide warmth?

I know that some of you have answers,Bring 'em on.

Hey SF,

I was down in PCB last week and the water was about 79 at 75'. Nice!
BUT, it was cold when you got out, thanks to the wind.
I was wearing a 3m shorty in the water and putting on my 5 mil long sleeve jacket when I got out as a windbreak...

A cold front just came through TN and the tmep dropped into the 60's, not sure what's going on further south.

This time of year you'd better bring layers. The Florida panhandle can be anywhere from 90 to 40. Yesterday, for example, it was shorts & t-shirt weather, in the morning you'll need sweats and a good windproof jacket for your surface interval. The water's still in the low 80's to high 70's so a 3 mil should be plenty, and that won't change very quickly - but the air temps in October are highly variable, so be flexible.
Rick

The 7mm is a suit that I own.I have not found a 3mm at my LDS that I care for therefore have not purchased one yet.I do tend to chill somewhat easily unless I am excerted.
Thanks for the temp info, I'll pack accordingly.

Duca, congratulations on your AOW!!

Silverfish
I would not want to dive Florida with anything more then 3mm. The LDS in Florida will have lots of
Light suits. Warm sweats are a good idea though. I did not think Kentucky was that cold. I have a 7 mm
Suit but find it to restrictive for anything but the coldest water.
mike

The 7m was really a mistake.I was told it was a 3m by a family member who saw it on ebay and I purchsed it via phone based on that info.No fault on the sellers part,so now I have a really warm suit that I may wind up putting back on ebay. That's part of the reason I am asking ??, it is a brand new Henderson gold.I may want to keep it that way for resell purposes.

Thanks for the input

I have a two piece Henderson 7 mm. and the 1 piece 7 mm Henderson gold core. The gold core is great suit for slipping in and out of. I use these in the northeast. The great thing about warm water diving (Florida), Is you can get rid of all that extra weight needed with a heavy suit.

mike

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom