Tell us about your 50th Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dizzi Lizzi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thanks to the exuberance and joy voiced by @JeanL I thought it would be fun to hear people’s stories of their 50th dive. For some of us (myself included) it will be recent, others will be on a trip with Sherman and Peabody in the Wayback machine.

Here’s mine. Jan 2017, 2nd day of first ever dive vacay. Airport Wall in Cayman Brac with Reef Divers. This was a great dive as I had mostly sorted out my weighting on day one to cope with gear changes so I was able to better enjoy the dive. My dive buddy had called his dive right after the briefing due to ear issues. @Pretty in Pink and Matt volunteered to let me buddy with them. This was my first wall dive and it was so beautiful, so much that I got distracted and started getting floaty while watching a green eel swimming, my attentive dive buddies noticed and motioned me to descend to stay with them. Once I got my situational awareness back they showed me tons of fish and life that I would have missed if not for them. Max depth was 73, time was 47min, came back with 1000psi of my AL80. Hooked on warm water. Drat, I live near cold water. Oh well. What’s your story?

I dove at Blue Grotto in Williston, Florida with Blac86 as my buddy. I was 5 away from 50. This was my first time Cavern diving. It was a cold 72 degrees and down to 98 feet deep. Lots of excitement and fun was had. I am glad I had this opportunity to dive this awesome dive!!!

FullSizeRender 2.jpg
This is the pic buddy took to commemorate my 50th dive. My 50th was a few weeks back. It was at our local quarry. Buddy and I practiced shipwreck diving by swimming around the 33ft cabin cruiser at 45ft deep, known as the SS Flamingo (a flamingo is the quarry logo), looking at things, etc. Having a visual reference helps me with my buoyancy, which was pretty decent and trim was decent, as well. Mask didn't flood too much (mask issues are the bane of my diving existence). I also climbed the ladder onto the dock all geared up, including pony, with just a guiding hand on back tank valve from buddy, courtesy of all my pool laps.

Just last week, I got my SDI Advanced Diver card. :D

Buddy and I should have been on a wreck diving trip on northern Lake Huron (Thunder Bay, off Alpena, MI) right now, but it was cancelled due to high waves and storms. As a result, we hit the quarry today and will be diving Lake Michigan Saturday and Sunday instead of Lake Huron. I'll be diving southern Lake Huron wrecks (Regina and the Mary Alice B) off the private boat of someone I know in a few weeks.

Marie, have you considered a FFM? I know it has it's own set of issues...
You look pretty pleased! Love it :)

Marie, have you considered a FFM? I know it has it's own set of issues...
You look pretty pleased! Love it :)

No, on the FFM. I was loaned a mask this weekend that worked pretty well Saturday and today. We'll see how to works this weekend on the big Lake.

Thank you! Between getting the 50 dive under my belt (today was 55), finally doing some Great Lakes wrecks, and getting Advanced rating, I'm pretty pleased indeed. :)

Completed my 50th on August 16, 2015 at Blue Stone Dive Resort in Thomasville, NC. My wife and I (she had just gotten certified the month before and it was her 10th dive) dove with a couple of other friends. Rather uneventful dives, just having fun in the water.

I actually completed my 100th dive earlier this month (July 3rd) on the Charleston Tug with Coastal Scuba out of Little River, SC. To the relief of everyone on board, a wetsuit was worn.

Last edited:
Unlogged, it was in our Canadian lake. Around 15 feet deep until the shivering stopped (monitoring hypothermia) . Double hose, j valve 72 steel, oval mask, volt fins and no wetsuit. Brake rotor weight belt. Childhood bliss of cloud of pumpkin seed fish and a curious small mouth bass. Summer sun filtered through the amber water and swaying pike weed.

Lovely thread topic,
Cameron

Dive #50 was my third time in my new drysuit, which I had just gotten the week prior. I was super excited about cold water diving, enough so that when I saw a good forecast, I took off work on a Wednesday to head to Carmel, California (about a 75 mile drive from home). Last minute plans with a buddy I met on the Internet.

I visited Point Lobos State Park for the first time, which has since become my favorite place to dive. The water was blue and calm, and we swam beneath a thick canopy of kelp. A friendly harbor seal played with my fins. I was thrilled to see reefs covered with nudibranches, big cabazons, and schools of rockfish. It was love at first sight. It's only gotten better since then.

Congrats all, it's a satisfying milestone, and well done @Marie13 on your advanced cert!
My half century was also recent, on May 21st at the Drop-off, Tulamben, Bali - 28 degrees C (82F), max 30m (100ft) & good vis. It also happened to by my maiden Nitrox dive (EAN 32). A beautiful dive with loads of colourful marine life, including these two beauties
IMG_1764.JPG

Now on to 100!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom