Temporary amnesia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Interested who has had a dive and not remembered significant portions of it. Uniquely dive related, what causes do you believe are responsible?

I've had shallow water black outs a few times freediving but that's unconscious. Otherwise my recollection of a dive matches my buddies or my photos and I don't think I've had lapses in memory while functioning normally.

Regards,
Cameron

Has never happened to me and if it did, I would seek medical attention immediately before I dove, flew or drove again!

Interested who has had a dive and not remembered significant portions of it. Uniquely dive related, what causes do you believe are responsible?

I've had shallow water black outs a few times freediving but that's unconscious. Otherwise my recollection of a dive matches my buddies or my photos and I don't think I've had lapses in memory while functioning normally.

Regards,
Cameron

..... Not that I recall...

(someone had to say it)

Gotta agree with Flyboy08 on this one... The one exception being if you are diving deep air or similar. Narcosis is known to cause lapses in memory...

Hell, I'll walk into a room and not remember what I went in there for. That's why I video my dives.

But seriously, I don't quite understand the question. Shallow Water Blackout I understand but is there a scuba version of the same thing or something similar?

What Stoo said. It's a commonly cited result of being narked. I've only felt narked once, but I can remember the dive - even the part where I knew I was narked (having trouble adding the EDT and TTS numbers shown on my computer).

I'm guessing this thread is based in part on a post I made about a diver who could not remember an entire dive because of a bout of transient global amnesia (TGA). TGA is extremely rare to begin with, so it would be extremely unlikely to happen on a dive. It is possible the incident to which I referred is the only one in history, although it is also possible that people have had smaller attacks during a dive without realizing it. (They leave no trace.)

In terms of narcosis, I don't think it is so much not remembering dives or significant portions of dives; what I have seen mentioned is forgetting details of dives. The one case I experienced was when I was doing a fairly long decompression dive at about 130 feet while on air. After close to a half hour at that depth, I noticed a very slight free flow in the regulator in my mouth. I carefully adjusted it to get the best flow without the free flow. I congratulated myself on being very aware and very clear-headed about it, even though I was in a range where narcosis could be an issue. I was certainly not narced, I thought. At that point my buddy flashed me with his light to get my attention. He wanted to know why I was breathing from my alternate instead of my primary. I had no idea I was. At some point during the dive I had decided to make the switch, and I did not know when I had done it or why I had done it. I suspect it was because I had had some issues with that regulator's tuning earlier and wanted to check it out, but I didn't remember doing it.

Last edited:
I remember less the deeper I go, and I've never been real deep. Guy I talked to on a dive boat said it was astounding how much more he noticed at 120' on a wreck he had dived many times when he took some helium.

I've never had any memory loss, but I rarely dive deep. Loss of some memory, or details if really narced certainly makes sense--like being very drunk....I suppose. I've never heard of TSA--if you haven't been deep diving and can't remember stuff it makes sense to see a doctor. I guess this TSA happens topside as well, but you didn't say that happened.

The instructor I mentioned in the other thread said he couldn't remember thirty minutes of his last deep dive on air. He lied about so many other things that I just chalk this up to yet another one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom