Temporary unable to use left arm, solutions so I can still dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark00020

Contributor
Reaction score
I snapped off the ball of my left humerus, it will require surgery (friday) to repair, taking a plate and a number of screws. I'm not sure what the total rehabilitation time is, but i know after the external wound is healed I would like to get in the water soon. I know physical therapy says your arm is in the sling for the first 6 weeks except for during PT.
I would like to know ideas on gear config and techniques to scuba with only the use of my right arm.
foss.jpg

break2.jpg

1.2.826.0.1.3680043.1.2.119.707070014.20080616.73426.0.0.3.jpg

I have no idea about rehab time or gear configuration to dive but damn, that looks bad. Busting your ball like that. :rofl3: I know I would not dive with that injury nor would I dive with you if you had that injury. As a buddy you would be practically useless, I would think. How would you be able to task manage during the dive? Inflate your BC, put your fins on and all the other stuff to dive. Even just gearing up takes two hands for me.

I know that there are people who dive with less than perfect limbs but the given that yours would be in a healing stage, I would be afraid to reinjure it or do something to where it would not heal.

But hey, good luck to you. I hope someone comes up with an answer for you and you have a very understanding buddy. Or you just wait until you get the ok from your doctor and live vicariously through the rest of us. And watch all those diving movies to keep the addiction fed, just like I had to do all winter long.

well i figure people dive with no arm/leg etc. i do have a great buddy that will help/is just fine w/ diving like that.
during the dive i barely use my left arm as is... just inflate/deflate and catch lobster.
fins go on easy (springs) bc was one of the things i was asking about... route hose to right side maybe?
gearing up I'd need help, but that isn't the important part of the dive.

Just make sure any dive you do has a starboard trending trajectory or is completely circular. :D

Well, not to flame you or anything, but you are considering doing something that is very dangerous so humor is necessary. You may need to be careful with your work though. If you are on limited duty because of the injury and they find out that you went diving with said injury, you could have problems with work. Or you could have problems with your insurance company should it find out that you went diving after the surgery. Your doctor is going to limit your lifting capabilities after the surgery for a long time and since dive gear is heavier than your lift limitations will certainly be (no lifting under 10 lbs etc), you are going to have some problems.

Since the humor is not what you are looking for, maybe some realistic advice will help. Seriously, dont do it. It could get really bad and you could put you and your buddy in serious risk of getting hurt a lot worse than where you are now. Hopefully you and your buddy have thought this through and since you have a buddy who is great and will help out when needed and is still willing to dive with you given this injury, I suppose you could do it. Is your buddy rescue certified? I still would not, even if Jacques Cousteau and He-Man were my buddies (if Jacques was living still and He-Man were real).

Should you still be medicated, you should not dive. Just like drinking or other drugs before diving. No need to say anything further

If you are going to do this, you might want to try doing this in a pool first. It would be safer than doing it in open water somewhere.

As for gear configurations: You should be able to use your inflator hose with your right hand in its normal position. Depending on your bc that is. On mine I would not be able to as I have an i3 so the inflator is on my left hip. Just cross your right arm over your chest, grab the hose and off you go. If you try to move it or drape it across the back of your neck, it would be to short to have on your right side. You should have a dump valve on the right side to getting rid of the air should be ok if you could not deflate the bc with the hose.

As for exposure suit, so long as you can get your arm in the suit with out the pain, I guess it is doable. Again, I would not do it since you would be potentially re-injuring yourself or delaying the healing process. Dive gear is not as flexible as cotton T-shirts or other street clothing so it is obviously harder to get into. Getting gloves and boots on would not be easy also. I think the gloves would be worse though since you use your bicep/tricep/forearm muscles to it get it on as well as your shoulder.

Once you got your arm in your suit, you could get your bc on but unlatch your left shoulder strap before you slip it on. Then reconnect the two strap pieces together under your arm. It may cause some pain but since you are in a fix to get wet, it might be ok. The weight of the BC might be to much on your shoulder though. You could get your gear on in the water to help reduce the weight on your shoulder.

As for putting on fins, if your buddy is holding the extra one and mask while you strap yourself in with the spring straps it should be ok also.

Since you probably dont NEED your left arm during the dive, I guess you will be ok. However, the extra steps, help needed, and serious possibility of re-injury would keep me out of the water until I was told it was ok by the doctor. If it were me, I would get in a therapeutic pool or hot tub with my snorkel before I tried to do what you are thinking about doing. But that is just me. Good luck to you. Hopefully you will get healed fast and be able to get in the water safely, responsibly, and comfortably soon.

The first thing I would look at is your loss of range of motion. I strained a rotator cuff last year and added an extension to my shoulder strap between the disconnects. That addition helped a lot. If your BC has a shoulder dump valve, you should be able to dump enough air to get you down so that you can use your bottom dump valves to finish the job.

I think if you are in a sling for the first 6 weeks there is a reason - namely your doc wants your shoulder to remain stable.

I can't imagine getting your gear on without possibly injuring your shoulder since from the X Rays your humerus shifted position with the break. It is not sitting in the socket correctly and will not until after surgery and your soft tissue has healed.

Let time pass and dive vicariously through friends and SB - thats what the majority of us do all winter!!

Wow, this is remarkedly similar to a post I was about to make, but maybe on a different forum. 3+ months ago I shattered my elbow and broke my forearm in 3 places. I have a titanuim elbow and plate/screws in my forearm. Am getting physio 3x/week and am on hydromorphone for pain. I had a diving trip booked for June but decided against going for a couple of reasons: pain meds and need to stay close to my physiotherapist. I expect that at the end of the day I won't have the full range of motion I had initially which will affect my status as a certified rescue diver. And the pain meds preclude any diving until I'm off of them. My question was going to be: at what point will I be fit to dive? I expect I will never regain my full range of motion but my injury was NOT to my left hand dominant arm and I'm already working out alternative plans (including driving, typing etc). Thoughts?
PS. I've pretty much discarded my sling. I work mostly full time but am given a great deal of latitude to stay home and/or go home early when pain dictates. Got a great boss and great staff.

From what I've read, one of the reasons that dive training for children has restrictions on age and depth has to do with the insufficeint data on the long term effects of pressure on their growth plates. I would hazard to guess that this could also include not only the growth properties but also the healing properties of bone. Possibly the Medical Mods have more info.

As has been stated by other posters, let it heal properly, re-build up your strength, and most importantly don't risk reinjury (which could be worse than the original injury or permanent). Not to mention all the liability issues of sick leave/limited duty/short term disability/etc. Your healing/rehab time will pass quickly if you work it as recommended by your medical professionals. Heed their advice and wait until they say you are ready. Once they have determined that your arm is as good as it's gonna get (hopefully close to 100% again) then dive with their approval. Many years ago I had my right ankle reconstructed with hardware and after months of rehab, hardware removal, more rehab, eventually I regained use (with a bit of arthritis now).
If after all your rehab it is determined that you, god forbid, end up with less that ideal usage, contact HSA for training and advise appropriate for your level of disability.

Best of luck and a speedy recovery.

Back
Top Bottom