Temporary unable to use left arm, solutions so I can still dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see some issues climbing the ladder and removing fins, but they shouldn't be that big of a challenge with some forethought and planning, perhaps a little assistance from a buddy until you have techniques worked out. On a beach dive, balance will be your major issue.

yeah, that ismy greatest concern as I think things through. On the wetsuit side, I will buy a henderson hyperstretch to make it easier to get into wetsuit,given likely limited mobility in spit of how much pt I do.

I'm just going to olive oil my arm before i try to put the suit on. good for the skin, and tasty for a shark if they try to eat me.

I wouldn't try to dive in MA with that injury because I'd be afraid of reinjuring my arm while putting on my wet (dry) suit. If you were to come to Florida, I'd consider it....
Dude...

Listen to Walter.

Speaking from the age where things that used to not hurt now hurt frequently, just because, give yourself time to heal. There will always be another dive...no need to rush it.

consider some of the ancillary things you could be doing with that time - such as:
* taking some DAN courses, including the O2 provider course and the defibrillator course;
* read everything there is to read about decompression theory and possibly take a course in Advanced Nitrox or beginning Trimix to begin to go over some of the concepts
* buy some spare neck and wrist seals, and some glue and tools, and learn how to repair a blown seal on your own drysuit far from any dive shop
* take a course to learn how to perform basic maintenance on your regs
* take a photography course or underwater videography course with the idea of learning how to edit your own digital footage
* take a tank VIP course and learn how to O2 clean your own steel and aluminum tanks, as well as take apart, perform preventive maintenance on, and O2 clean your own manifolds
* take a First Aid course and Emergency Responder course to learn how to respond to injuries on live-aboard dive boats far from any port or medical facilities
* research trip insurance, medical evacuation from resort destinations, and other trip planning details to use for your next trip to Honduras or wherever.

You get the point.

There are literally hundreds of things you could do during this time that would make you a better diver, when you're able to get back in the water safely.

Trying to dive one-armed and possibly either reinjuring yourself, prolonging your recovery period, or whatever just isn't a wise thing to do when there are so many other interesting alternatives that you can use that time for.

Just my humble opinion,

Best,

Doc

Thanks doc. I guess if I was going to spend time studying, differential equations should be on my list... but that is what I do all week.
I'll take it all under advisement... I just wish I did't have to lose the season right when its getting nicer. damn it

If you think it hurts now, just wait till rehab starts. Glad your surgery went well.

Glad your surgery went well. Take your time and when you and your doctor agree that you are ready to hit the water, take it slow and easy. Re-injury is the last thing you want. Good luck with the rehab.

I snapped off the ball of my left humerus, it will require surgery (friday) to repair, taking a plate and a number of screws. I'm not sure what the total rehabilitation time is, but i know after the external wound is healed I would like to get in the water soon. I know physical therapy says your arm is in the sling for the first 6 weeks except for during PT.
I would like to know ideas on gear config and techniques to scuba with only the use of my right arm.
QUOTE]

You will have seen another earlier post of mine (elbow replacement for shattered elbow and plate in forearm with 12 screws for 3 fractures). I have been in physiotherapy now for 10 weeks (3x per week) and have only just recently begun to make headway. I am in a lot of pain and am taking strong pain meds (hydromorphone). This alone makes me unfit to dive, in my view. I hope your pain levels are more manageable but if you are on any pain meds you need to rethink your plan. And even f you're not taking meds but are in pain, it will cloud your judgement and affect your concentration. Speaking from experience here.

ok this hurts a little. made it through surgery
I'm glad your surgery went well. As others have said, take the time to heal--it will be worth it. You might get some vicarious DVD diving in. I'd recommend Cousteau's The Silent World and World Without Sun.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom