Temps at Vortex, Morrison in Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
What are temps in Feb time frame (late feb) there? I figured pretty constant upper 60s? (66-68?)
Also, I see Morrison closes at Sunset. Can one get a dusk/night dive in? Didn't know if new set up has gates closing off access to parking after sunset.

The springs in that area are 69 degrees year round. Morrison is blown for the foreseeable future as the river is up. Vortex is about your only option in that area for freshwater ow diving at this time. Jackson Blue allows ow diving but there is really nothing to see in the ow. Nice cavern though if you are comfortable with flow and certified.

Thanks for heads up on Morrison. yes, have done Jackson blue. A couple years ago, we had flown out to do Oriskany and Captain canceled due to conditions so our group did Vortex, Jackson blue as plan B. I need to be NOLA for bus. trip so hoping to come to PNS weekend before to visit son at Pensacola NAS and get some diving in. For this trip, would only do Vortex. Not going to bother trying Oriskany this trip. Don't want to chance getting scrubbed like last time and go when conditions are likely to be calmer.

The springs in that area are 69 degrees year round. Morrison is blown for the foreseeable future as the river is up. Vortex is about your only option in that area for freshwater ow diving at this time. Jackson Blue allows ow diving but there is really nothing to see in the ow. Nice cavern though if you are comfortable with flow and certified.
Any new info on Morrison or is Vortex still the only option in the Ponce de Leon Area? Any tips for Vortex?

Any new info on Morrison or is Vortex still the only option in the Ponce de Leon Area? Any tips for Vortex?

Keep an eye on this link for the Choctawhatchee river level at Caryville. Anything 6 feet and over is usually considered blown out (not diveable) from what I've been told. Obviously the further under 6 feet you get, the better the viz typically is.

National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service

Also, check this link for the park itself.

Morrison Springs | Walton County, FL - Home Page

Morrison has a reputation for getting periodic health advisories for high bacteria counts which creates a safety issue for people being in the water without risking getting sick. The Walton County Health Department routinely samples the water quality and any abnormal counts will warrant a shut down which gets posted on the park's website. If an advisory is issued, keep checking the website as the Health Department samples the water every few days. The spring area typically has issues after the river level has been up for quite a while after heavy rains since there's a lot of septic systems and farms upstream and the runoff is usually the cause, not the spring itself.

Keep an eye on this link for the Choctawhatchee river level at Caryville. Anything 6 feet and over is usually considered blown out (not diveable) from what I've been told. Obviously the further under 6 feet you get, the better the viz typically is.

National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service

Also, check this link for the park itself.

Morrison Springs | Walton County, FL - Home Page

Morrison has a reputation for getting periodic health advisories for high bacteria counts which creates a safety issue for people being in the water without risking getting sick. The Walton County Health Department routinely samples the water quality and any abnormal counts will warrant a shut down which gets posted on the park's website. If an advisory is issued, keep checking the website as the Health Department samples the water every few days. The spring area typically has issues after the river level has been up for quite a while after heavy rains since there's a lot of septic systems and farms upstream and the runoff is usually the cause, not the spring itself.
Thanks! Just got back and had a great time at Vortex. Did hear a few people mention that sinus infections were running around. My sinuses have been good. My ears are good but I did do maintenance on them.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom