Ten minute meals...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK since my pool has dropped below 65°F (20°c) It is officially arctic here in Mexico, so requires post dive warmup drinks..

Camembert Potato soup.

peel a potato and cube, place in plastic container and cover with water,

then micro for five minutes.

Remove potato and place in blender, add a teaspoon of chicken stock powder to the broth and add some of it to the blender and blend potato on high until smooth.

Add an inch cube of ripe CAMEMBERT cheese and blend until velvety smooth and heavenly fragrant, top up with the rest of the broth from the potato untill you reach 600 mls or one pint of soup.

sprinkle with dried dill or pepper depending on your taste.

toss in preheated SS (starbucks type) thermos till after the dive..

cancun mark:
OK since my pool has dropped below 65°F (20°c) It is officially arctic here in Mexico, so requires post dive warmup drinks..

Camembert Potato soup.

peel a potato and cube, place in plastic container and cover with water,

then micro for five minutes.

Remove potato and place in blender, add a teaspoon of chicken stock powder to the broth and add some of it to the blender and blend potato on high until smooth.

Add an inch cube of ripe CAMEMBERT cheese and blend until velvety smooth and heavenly fragrant, top up with the rest of the broth from the potato untill you reach 600 mls or one pint of soup.

sprinkle with dried dill or pepper depending on your taste.

toss in preheated SS (starbucks type) thermos till after the dive..

Need to buy cheese and a spud........

Remember to worship Mark.

Okay, I can see I'm gonna have to bust out with a Scubakev super secret family recipe. Pre-heat you ovens on broil and brace yourselves for the ultimate ten minute meal... grilled peanut butter and bacon.

First cook four strips of bacon per sandwich, keep 'em handy somewhere.
Toast two pieces of bread per sandwich, then spread peanut butter on one side of each piece. I like crunchy, but hey it's your sandwich. Anyway, place the toasts, peanut butter side up on a cookie sheet under the broiler. If there's no women around, I recommend omitting the cookie sheet and just putting them directly on the wire rack, it saves dishes. Keep an eye on them... the peanut butter will get all bubbley and then start to turn brown in about 30 seconds. Grab them out when this happens. If you let the bubbles get black, that means you burnt it and you'll have to give it to someone else and make another one. Put four pieces of bacon inside and close the sandwich.
WARNING!
Broiled peanut butter will solidify in your neck, sucking every molecule of water out of your throat when it does, creating a clog that is only milk-solulable. BE SURE TO HAVE PLENTY OF MILK ON HAND.

This is an awesome sandwich. Many are too frightened to give it a try, but those who do love it. It is a truley remarkable man-food.

Scubakevdm:
Okay, I can see I'm gonna have to bust out with a Scubakev super secret family recipe. Pre-heat you ovens on broil and brace yourselves for the ultimate ten minute meal... grilled peanut butter and bacon.
You, sir, are an absolute genius.

Man's never-ending quest to discover new places to put bacon has taken a large leap today..

Sounds real good, potato cheese soup :11ztongue but I hate cleaning the blender.
Have to try it anyway.

OK, here is one I could think up for penny that takes no less than... say 6 minutes. You need some things though, so you have to be ready.

this is Panaeng or Kang Musaman Curry, both thai, I am not sure which.

you need:

75 g. of chicken or Pork, use chicken since I keep Kosher and you like me!
1 tbsp of red curry paste. now you need to get this in an asian market, or you'll find it in your supermarket if you're lucky.
1 cup of coconut milk... try to get coconut cream- its better.
3 kaffir lime leaves these you need to go to an asian market for. you can use lime zest, but that's stupid and you don't want to be stupid.
1 tbsp of grounded roasted peanut
2 tbsp of palm sugar or brown sugar
2 tbsp of fish sause of soy sauce
2 tbsp of oil

1. Heat wok and put oil in. make sure the wok is really clean... nobody likes little bits of the lo mein from three years ago in your thai curry
2. Put in the red curry.... this is the part when you do the thai pan oil dance.... very graceful and fast. should you find a spot where oil is not flying at your face, stir up the curry paste until its fragrant and the oil surfaces.
3. add the chicked in, and stir it until its cooked
4. add the coconut cream.
5. add fish/soy sauce, sugar, and peanut
6. add the kaffir lime leaves
7. serve in a hollowed coconut if you can with a bed of jasmine rice.

enjoy!

OK, Baltimoron got me thinking of the Holy land and made me hunger for Hummus, so here goes my 10 minute version, which is a far cry from what what I had in Jerusalem, but dude..its only ten minutes.

Ten Munute Hummus.

One tin of garbanzos,
nuke in micro for five minutes in their own water.

reserve two tablespoons of garbanzos then

blend entire contents of tin including water with

a couple of tablespoons of Tahina
a little garlic
a pinch of salt
a squeeze of lemon
quarter of a cup of good olive oil.

let stand for a few minutes
then presentation should be:

form a volcano on a large plate
mix a tablespoon of tahina with 3 of water
and place in the volcano crater,
sprinkle with finely chopped coriander or mint
give it a moat of olive oil and decorate with the reserved chick peas..

I find Pita bread toasted over a gas flame to be the best, and they should be still soft enough to tear..

Fried Saimin

Beef Saimin
Bacon
Carrots
Celery
Cabbage
(fish cake - if desired)
(amounts all depend on how hungry and how many people, about 1 pack of noodles per person - the rest to taste)

Cut up bacon (in strips), carrots, celery, cabbage (bite size)

Break noodles in quarters
Boil, not to soft - al'dente is best.
Strain, cover to keep warm

Put bacon in a deep pan with a touch oil. You don't want crisp bacon, but heat it enough to get a good amount of bacon fat.

Add the bag of beef seasoning. If you make more than one package, use one less bag of seasoning (i.e if you use 3 packs of saimin only use 2 bags of seasoning - the rest to taste), the bacon is usually salty enough.

Add carrots & celery. A couple of minutes later you add the fish cake. Next add the noodles and last the cabbage. Mix it well and enjoy.

Tastes even better as a Mustgo.....(for years I thought that Mustgoes was a meal my mother invented - nobody else ate Mustgoes....then one day it dawned on me. it's what ever MUST GO!)

cancun mark:
OK, Baltimoron got me thinking of the Holy land and made me hunger for Hummus, so here goes my 10 minute version, which is a far cry from what what I had in Jerusalem, but dude..its only ten minutes.

Ten Munute Hummus.

One tin of garbanzos,
nuke in micro for five minutes in their own water.

reserve two tablespoons of garbanzos then

blend entire contents of tin including water with

a couple of tablespoons of Tahina
a little garlic
a pinch of salt
a squeeze of lemon
quarter of a cup of good olive oil.

let stand for a few minutes
then presentation should be:

form a volcano on a large plate
mix a tablespoon of tahina with 3 of water
and place in the volcano crater,
sprinkle with finely chopped coriander or mint
give it a moat of olive oil and decorate with the reserved chick peas..

I find Pita bread toasted over a gas flame to be the best, and they should be still soft enough to tear..

psh.... this is what you americans call "hoo-mass"... I once translated a REALLY good hummus for cowprintrabbit- ah! found it. Yes yes I know this is not 10 minues perçé... then again 10 minute hummus is no hummus to me:

[snip]

alright here it goes. and this is parsely hummus- my favourite.

1 kilo of hummus beans (which i think are chickpeas in english, right?)
1 litre of techina (or tahini i think they call it here..)
1 litre of water
a package or bundle of parsley (again i have no idea how much that is, but its important!)
4 (cloves i think) of garlic
1 table spoon or so of salt
2 fresh limes
4 tablespoons of oil

first soak the hummus beans for about six hours and after cook them in a pot of water for about two hours or until they become soft and tender.

fry the garlic in the oil lightly and then transfer them to the food processor (it says here with a sharp knife.... but it doesnt sound necesary to me..) add the parsely (after you cut it), the lemon squeezed (lemon juice.), the water, and the hot hummus beans.

gound it up and then add the techina and let 'er rip until you gotta paste.

to me its good if you serve it hot, with a bit of cumin, paprika, olive oil (good olive oil), and a slice of lime. its the BEST like that on pita or felafel.

[/snip]

(Adapted from Moosewood Cooks at Home)

Brown rice
1 large onion
1 20-oz can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 bunch kale (or Swiss chard or 1 5-10 oz bag prewashed spinach leaves)
1 tbsp crushed or minced garlic from a jar (or 2 cloves pressed fresh garlic)
1/2 c. low-fat peanut butter (crunchy is better)
1 tbsp Sriracha or Chili Garlic sauce (or Tabasco or other hot sauce)
(the bottle or jar with the green tops. The chili garlic sauce is hotter--use less)
Optional: chopped cilantro and crushed peanuts for topping

1. Put some brown rice in the rice cooker, or use boil-in-bag rice or instant rice (Trader Joe's has frozen organic brown rice in bags that cook in 3 min in the microwave).
2. Chop and saute onion in 1 tbsp vegetable oil.
3. While the onion sautes, wash and chop 1 bunch kale (in a time crunch you can use a bag of prewashed spinach leaves but they cook down more than the kale so you may need to use more spinach. I kind of like the added texture of the kale).
4. Add the crushed garlic, hot sauce, peanut butter and pineapple with juice to the onions and stir.
5. Add the kale and stir a few times until the kale is wilted. Simmer for a couple more minutes.
6. Add cilantro and top with crushed peanuts. Serve over rice.

Healthy, easy, fast, and vegetarian. A tasty colon-scrubber. Even slingshot likes it, and we're both carnivores. :11ztongue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom