Ten minute meals...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burritos and nachos - [this isn't my favorite, but it is my fastest.]

place two frozen burritos in the microwave for one minute,
flip and put in for another minute. [less time for one burrito]

move hot burritos to the edge of the plate.
fill the center with plain nachos,
cover with pre-shredded taco cheese and hot sauce [to taste].
place back in microwave for one minute [or until cheese melts 3/4 of the way].
remove. garnish with sour cream, black olives, jalapenos, etc.

place cut lime in corona.

enjoy.

baltimoron:
psh.... this is what you americans call "hoo-mass"...

Call me an American again and I will have to come up there and kick your lebanese butt... :eyebrow:

baltimoron:
I once translated a REALLY good hummus for cowprintrabbit- ah! found it.

I knew you wouldnt be able to resist, thanks for coming through with the authentic version.. (ps. some of the best hummus I ever ate was in Eilat in a little resturaunt overlooking the airport)

capybara:
Healthy, easy, fast, and vegetarian. A tasty colon-scrubber. Even slingshot likes it, and we're both carnivores. :11ztongue

Hey, this reminded me of a great one..

Fijian Pineapple curry

1 fresh pineapple
1 onion,
1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
1 cup of frozen peas
oil,
1 tablespoon of curry powder
3 fresh red chilli's sliced thinly (can be substituted for chilli sauce)
2 tables spoons of sesame seeds.
1 table spoon of black mustard seeds
handful of chopped coriander leaves

Nuke a cup of longrain white rice with two cups of water in the microwave.

Toast the sesame and mustard seeds in a large frying pan for two minutes or until the start to pop, set aside
thinly slice the onion and toss in hot pan with a little oil to brown add the garlic,
add curry powder and fry lightly (dont overdo it with the curry powder, (1 tablespoon is more than enough usually)
cut the pineapple into chunks and add to the mixture along with the peas and chili

heat through but do not over cook, the pineapple goes soggy.

add half a cup of water with a teaspoon of flour dissolved in to thicken the sauce

Salt to taste

Stir in the coriander leaves

Serve on white rice and sprinkle with toasted sesame and mustard seeds.
(you can mix half the seeds with the rice if you like, especially if there is a female around that you want to impress)

This is an amazing curry, especially with the right curry powder (I like to make my own) and is Kosher, Halal, vegetarian, vegan, south beach, lactose free, caffeen free and DIR all in one.. :10:

AND IT TAKES LESS THAN TEN MINUTES AND ONLY USES ONE PAN

cancun mark:
Call me an American again and I will have to come up there and kick your lebanese butt... :eyebrow:

I knew you wouldnt be able to resist, thanks for coming through with the authentic version.. (ps. some of the best hummus I ever ate was in Eilat in a little resturaunt overlooking the airport)

Hey, this reminded me of a great one..

Fijian Pineapple curry

1 fresh pineapple
1 onion,
1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
1 cup of frozen peas
oil,
1 tablespoon of curry powder
3 fresh red chilli's sliced thinly (can be substituted for chilli sauce)
2 tables spoons of sesame seeds.
1 table spoon of black mustard seeds
handful of chopped coriander leaves

Nuke a cup of longrain white rice with two cups of water in the microwave.

Toast the sesame and mustard seeds in a large frying pan for two minutes or until the start to pop, set aside
thinly slice the onion and toss in hot pan with a little oil to brown add the garlic,
add curry powder and fry lightly (dont overdo it with the curry powder, (1 tablespoon is more than enough usually)
cut the pineapple into chunks and add to the mixture along with the peas and chili

heat through but do not over cook, the pineapple goes soggy.

add half a cup of water with a teaspoon of flour dissolved in to thicken the sauce

Salt to taste

Stir in the coriander leaves

Serve on white rice and sprinkle with toasted sesame and mustard seeds.
(you can mix half the seeds with the rice if you like, especially if there is a female around that you want to impress)

This is an amazing curry, especially with the right curry powder (I like to make my own) and is Kosher, Halal, vegetarian, vegan, south beach, lactose free, caffeen free and DIR all in one.. :10:

AND IT TAKES LESS THAN TEN MINUTES AND ONLY USES ONE PAN

hey now, I wasn't being accusational!!! American means simply that- American. And, I am Israeli, not Lebanese. Though if you want to really get down to it, I am also half american half turkish, made in the Free State of Israel. :D

and about the Hummus, tell me where you had it and I will tell the chef that you enjoyed it. :wink:

A story, if you will:
My father, a brilliant man... very smart, also american (grew up the Miami Ham-and-Cheese Happy Saturday Jew...), but he lacks a bit in the common sense ("Sure, Zack! See what that stuff in the batteries tastes like!"). His first trip to Israel, it was still a time when plumbing was not too statisfactory, and something the likes of "Moctezuma's Revenge" was not uncommon for tourists. Of course, my dad being the Lawrence of Arabia he is, goes for every arab vendor he can find to "really get the good felafel." He says he had the best hummus he has ever had in the Bethlehem from a little arab vendor on the street. Best hummus he ever had gave him shigella and other various parasites.... diarrhoea so bad, he had to take the El Al flight in the back by the bathroom (in the then smoking section) in a wheelchair. He still has no regrets, since it was his "Hummus from Heaven." thought you might enjoy.

More recipes from the Bhaan Thai:

Savoury Minced Chicken Salad

150 g. of Boiled Minced Chicken
1/2 tbsp of Grounded Chilli. make sure they haven't processed all the capsacin out of it.
2 tbsp. Grounded roasted rice (anything with a pretty crunchy texture will do.)
5 thinly sliced shallots
3 sliced spring onions
1 tbsp of fish/soy sause
2 tbsp of lime juice. try to get it fresh- that lime juice stuff is a killer.
1/2 tsp of sugar
7-10 mint leaves
2 tbsp of finely sliced corriander leaves

1. Put the minced chicken in the boiled water until cooked.
2. Remove from pot and allow to cool... you want to in little small bits... as small as rice grains. you might want to chop it up in the cuisanart for a bit. not tooo too small though.
3. In the dish, add the chilli, rice, shallots, spring onions, fish/soy sauce, and lime juice. Toss gently.
4. add mint leaves and coriander, toss again
5. Serve with a slice of lime... tweak it to your personal taste. I like mine with a lot of mint, a lot of lime, a bit less onion, and a LOT of chilli.

I got most of my thai recipes from a cooking class i took in Chiang Mai. If you ever find yourself in Chiang Mai, Thailand look up Baan Thai Cooking School and PUT IT ON YOUR MUST DO LIST!!

*sigh* I am hungry. Very Hungry. Can somebody give me a good recipe for good rice... I am in the mood for good rice. Risotto would be nice, I have some of that.... Long Grain is fine, I have a lot of Basmati too....

I am hungry!!!! :bash: :17: :surprised

here is my new effort.

Goteburg salad baguette.

one and a half cups of frozen, cooked tiny cocktail shrimps (do not wash or defrost)

two to three table spoons of sour cream

one teaspoon of mayo (to taste)

some shredded lettuce leaves

one tomato chopped really fine

teaspoon of dried or fresh dill

One really nice 9" baguette

method

warm the baguette, crunchy or soft, however you like it.

mix the cocktail shrimp in a bowl with the tomato sour cream, dill
arrange the lettuce on the baguette and spoon the filling on top..

Variations include:
in a pinch, replace the shrimp with surimi chopped fine (and call it crab)
replace the dill with dijon mustard or half a tsp of curry powder.

you can serve this in scallop shells lined with a lettuce leaf as a dinner party starter.

AND IT TAKES LESS THAN TEN MINUTES AND USES ONLY ONE MIXING BOWL....

Here's a tastey dip I just created 45 minutes ago. I served it inside of a toasted tortilla with sauteed green bell peppers, mushrooms and some grated chedder cheese.

You will need a food processor or a blender.

80 ml (1/3 cup) salsa
30 ml (2 tbsp) grated chedder cheese
30 ml (2 tbsp) canned* beans (kidney, black or green beans work well)
Tabasco sauce
Black peppercorns
Garlic powder

*If using fresh beans you may need to cook them first. I sauteed some green beans in a small amount of olive oil until tender. Nobody likes chewy beans :) Also, you may need to adjust the consistancy depending on how much liquid was with the beans.

Take 125 ml (1/4 cup) of your favorite salsa and microwave it for ~20 seconds to heat up the salsa. Put the salsa into a food processor or blender.

Put chedder cheese and beans into the food processor or blender.

Blend on high for 3 minutes until all the lumps are out and the cheese has melted.

Add pepper, garlic powder and tobasco to taste. Depending on how spicy the salsa is, you may not need to put any tobasco in at all. Blend again until seasonings are mixed.

Serve hot or cold with nachos or toasted pita.

Variations:

If you have more time, I suggest using fresh garlic instead of powder. Mince up the garlic using a knife or garlic press and saute for a few minutes until tender. Do not let the garlic turn brown unless you enjoy bitter garlic. Toss it into the food processor with the rest of the ingredients.

Add onions or shallots. Chop up the onions or shallots (or both?) and saute them in a bit of olive oil until they become soft and sweet. Put them into the food processor with the other ingredients.

Meal Ideas:

I decided to use this dip as a base for a quesadilla I made to use up some leftover roast chicken. First, sauted some green peppers and mushrooms in olive oil and reheat the chicken pieces. Spread the dip onto a tortilla. Add the veggies and meat to one side of the tortilla. Sprinkle a bit of chedder or montery jack cheese on top of the veggies and chicken. Fold the other side of the tortilla over so it is now shaped like a "D". Pop in into the toaster over or under the broiler until the tortilla becomes crisp. Enjoy :)

Coconut lime soup

To a pot, add 2 cups chicken stock and heat to simmer.
Add to pot:
Add 8 oz diced chicken (cut into pretty small pieces)
2 tb brown or palm sugar
juice of 2 limes
Lime leaves or about a half tsp lime zest
6 tb fish sauce (or 3 tb soy sauce).
1 tb lemon grass paste or 1 stalk lemongrass
1 tb grated fresh ginger.
Heat until chicken is cooked, just a few minutes. Add 1 can coconut milk and stir.

Edit: I just noticed this is pretty similar to Mark's recipe. Maybe we should have a contest to see whose is better. Winner makes the loser dinner for a week.

One of my favorite batchlor boat meals:
Green salad
Rice a roni ( red beans and rice is my fav!)
fillet of fresh fish, very thin layer of mayo, sprinkle of lemon pepper and microwave it for 3 minutes. ( it comes out poached and very good).

Something I made for dinner last night on a whim, and it turned out pretty good, if I don't say so myself!
Pasta with gorgonzla sauce

1 lb cooked penne, farfalle, or other semi-large pasta (cooked so it doesn't count toward the 10 minute thing)
~2 cups milk
1/2 stick butter
~1 cup grated cheese
~block gorgonzola cheese
Optional: grilled chicken, sliced

Simmer milk and butter in pan. Add crumbled gorgozola, stir until melted. Add grated cheese. Stir. Pour over pasta, top with grilled chicken.

Back
Top Bottom