Ten minute meals...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm:
Okay, I can see I'm gonna have to bust out with a Scubakev super secret family recipe. Pre-heat you ovens on broil and brace yourselves for the ultimate ten minute meal... grilled peanut butter and bacon.

First cook four strips of bacon per sandwich, keep 'em handy somewhere.
Toast two pieces of bread per sandwich, then spread peanut butter on one side of each piece. I like crunchy, but hey it's your sandwich. Anyway, place the toasts, peanut butter side up on a cookie sheet under the broiler. If there's no women around, I recommend omitting the cookie sheet and just putting them directly on the wire rack, it saves dishes. Keep an eye on them... the peanut butter will get all bubbley and then start to turn brown in about 30 seconds. Grab them out when this happens. If you let the bubbles get black, that means you burnt it and you'll have to give it to someone else and make another one. Put four pieces of bacon inside and close the sandwich.
WARNING!
Broiled peanut butter will solidify in your neck, sucking every molecule of water out of your throat when it does, creating a clog that is only milk-solulable. BE SURE TO HAVE PLENTY OF MILK ON HAND.

This is an awesome sandwich. Many are too frightened to give it a try, but those who do love it. It is a truley remarkable man-food.

I had the pleasure of trying this testosterone infused sandwich and well....it was ok. Good excuse to drink a gallon of milk. Good but, too thick.
It was actually too much for me and I had to alter it by adding strawberry jelly to the top of it. Now it gets two thumbs up!!

Yet another example of a man inventing something good and a womans touch making it great~!!

Ok, this thread has slowed down a little so I reckon we should relax the rules a bit.

Cooking time can exceed 10 minutes, but total prep needs to be less and the one dish thing still applies.

Here is my latest and greatest for winter comfort food as I actually did have to turn the aircon off in my car the other day.

A classic Irish dish (the emerald isle of my birth) that was hijacked by the French:

Beef Beerginion

one huge sirloin steak cubed and browned in a deep pan
add minced garlic to taste
throw in one tin of sliced mushrooms including the liquid
add one 16 oz can (or two bottles) of guinness
add a small teaspoon of Dijon mustard.

bring to boil, turn heat to low, simmer and cover for about an hour.
when footy/soap opera/sunset is over, thicken if needed with a teaspoon of flour disolved in a little water.

Just prior to serving stir in a tablespoon of sour cream.

Serve with a crusty loaf of bread.

if you want the Hijacked French version of this authentic Irish classic, replace the Guinness with 1/3rd of a bottle of red wine.

Keema Kofta Curry

Ingredients

1 lb. ground lamb
2 medium potatoes
1 large onion
1 large tomato2 t. fennel powder
½ t. ginger powder
To taste chili powder
To taste salt
2 T. oil
3 – 4 cloves
½ t. ginger & garlic paste
1 t. paprika powder
a pinch turmeric
4 c. water
1 t. black cardamom powder

Method of preparation

Peel & cut potatoes into quarters lengthwise. Fry lightly and keep aside. Add 1 t. fennel powder, ¼ t. ginger powder, ½ t. cardamom powder, chili powder (optional), 1T. oil, ¾ tsp. salt to the ground lamb. Mix together and from into meatballs (about 1 ½ “ diameter) Keep them aside. In a pot heat 1 T. oil ( The pot should be big enough so that all the meatballs can fit in a single layer at the bottom) Add cloves. As soon as they sizzle add chopped onions. Stir-fry the onions until golden-brown. Add Ginger & Garlic Paste and stir-fry for 30 seconds, Add chopped tomato is cooked and mashed. Add 1 t. fennel powder, ¼ t. ginger powder, ½ t. cardamom powder, turmeric, paprika, salt, chili powder to this mixture. Stir well for about 1 minute. Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and add meatballs. Cover and cook on low for 20 minutes stirring 1-2 times in between. Add the fried potatoes. If gravy is too thick, add some more water. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are just about tender and gravy is thick. If gravy is too thin, uncover and cook on high gravy thickens. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.

Ten minute method:
1. call the number to the local indian place
2. say "mai "keema kofta curry" khariidanaa chaahunga". or a "Hi there, I'd like some Keema Kofta Curry" will suffice.
3. Tell them your address
4. Wait a bit.
5. When the man/woman gets there, and tip well for the love. These people will love you if you do.
6. Enjoy!

Sue's Extremely Fattening Fish curry (Mmmm!)

in a pot, melt a stick of butter, add

large chopped onion, sautee till soft. Then add

Can crushed tomatoes
ginger and garlic to taste
2 or 3 teaspoosn ground cardamom, or fresh whole cardamom if you have it
A few whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 or 3 bay leaves
2 heaping tablespoons chopped almonds
about a half cup chopped cilantro
tsp curry powder (more if you like it strong)
salt to taste

Cook ten minutes, then add diced fish. You can substitute chicken, vegetables, and this recipe is especially good with chick peas.
Simmer for few minutes till fish is done, stir in
8 oz sour cream
1/2 cup plain yogurt
tablespoon sugar to taste
Add ~1/2 cup more fresh chopped cilantro

Serve over basmati rice. (I cook my rice with butter, almonds and cashews, cinnamon stick, cardamom and lots of cilantro).

not quite ten minutes, but only ten minutes real work.

Jugo de Carne

this is a traditional Argentinian meat soup, that makes my mouth water just thinking of it..

about 100 grams (half a pound) of top sirloin steak, you could try other meat, but this is the one I have found works best.

chop it into small slices and add it to a 1.25 liters (two pints) of boililng water.
add two teaspoons of beef stock powder
a teaspoon of minced garlic
a sprinkle of powdered thyme (this is an essential ingredient)

boil for ten minutes,

then drain the liquid and set aside.

Add two teaspoons of flour to the meat an about half a pint of the stock, and blend in a blender on high speed for at least two minutes. The objective is not to have any lumps of meat or even stringy fibers.

you can then strain it if you want, but if you have blended it enough, you shouldnt need to, combine the meat with the rest of the stock and bring to the boil.

serve hot with a dash of sherry,
a sprinkle of pepper
parsley to garnish
and a dash of olive oil.

the super gourmet version you drop half a dosen fresh oysters in just before serving.

not quite ten minutes, but only ten minutes real work.

Jugo de Carne

this is a traditional Argentinian meat soup, that makes my mouth water just thinking of it..

about 100 grams (half a pound) of top sirloin steak, you could try other meat, but this is the one I have found works best.

chop it into small slices and add it to a 1.25 liters (two pints) of boililng water.
add two teaspoons of beef stock powder
a teaspoon of minced garlic
a sprinkle of powdered thyme (this is an essential ingredient)

boil for ten minutes,

then drain the liquid and set aside.

Add two teaspoons of flour to the meat an about half a pint of the stock, and blend in a blender on high speed for at least two minutes. The objective is not to have any lumps of meat or even stringy fibers.

you can then strain it if you want, but if you have blended it enough, you shouldnt need to, combine the meat with the rest of the stock and bring to the boil.

serve hot with a dash of sherry,
a sprinkle of pepper
parsley to garnish
and a dash of olive oil.

the super gourmet version you drop half a dosen fresh oysters in just before serving.
oh my god
i just love that
hint: try it with a splash of jerez

now i have some recipes:

rodrigo fish, you chop cooked fish fillet in little pieces, then add parsley, lime, onion, and you serve tacos of it

REAL quesadillas, i know they are not as exciting as the ones mentioned before, take a corn tortilla and manchego cheese ( kind of like monterey jack), or oaxaca or panela (nothing really compares to those cheeses), and you heat them in a comal ( round thin metal pan ), if you put ham or bacon into them we call them gringas

jicama surimi tacos, this one is from my aunt, you take jicama (mexican potato, Mexican yam bean), and slice it into thin tortilla like slices, you then take surimi (aka fake crab) and suritto sauce, mixem and rollem and servem with soy sauce

ive got an identity crisis: who else is mexican or considers himself mexican after residing many years in mexico

Back
Top Bottom