Tenn-Tom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warhammer

Reaction score
Today I got an opportunity to check a local river called the Tenn-Tom, some of you may be familiar with it. It was built by the Army Corp of Engineers about 15 years ago as a route for barges coming down the Tennessee River to take to the Gulf of Mexico. It starts just across the Tennessee/Mississippi/Alabama line at Pickwick and empties into the Gulf at Mobile, AL. I've been itching to dive it for some time, espeacially since it practically passes through my backyard. Well not quiet, but I can hear the barges blow their horns as they pass. Anyway, I finally hooked up with a local diver who just happens to be my neighbor whom I had no idea dove. I need to get out more. :) He is nuts about searching for artifacts and such and invited to go along. I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but since he had a metal detector and a new toy (anchor line becon) to try out, I thought it would be fun. And I wasn't disappointed. The water was cold (53F) and murky (2ft vis), but it was a good dive. Can you imagine that? As it turned out, we only found a few pop top soda can tops with the detector, but it is extremely interesting searching the depths with it. He's found all sorts of stuff, including jewelry, sunshades, bullets, watches, and etc in the past, but nothing today. Hopefully we'll have better luck next time. And there will be a next time soon. That's when you know you are hooked on scuba, when you enjoy a 2ft vis dive in 53 degree water. :) Hopefully, those won't be the conditions for next weeks dives on Maui, Kona, and Oahu! Can't wait to get there.

Back
Top Bottom