Teric Battery Drain - When OFF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What that is saying is don’t dive with AI on if you don’t have a transmitter.
Nah I think you got that wrong, read it again.

When a paired transmitter is not
communicating
, the Teric goes into a higher power
scan state.

It does say paired.
My take on that is that if it does not find the AI signal it keeps listening continuously. Once the signal is found it goes into the 10 second listening cycle.
I could be wrong but maybe Shearwater will clarify.

What that is saying is don’t dive with AI on if you don’t have a transmitter.

Sure that's clear. Also if you don't have a transmitter, you won't need to enter the transmitter ID to pair it with Teric. No ID entered means Teric AI won't scan for the transmitter. However, once you entered the transmitter ID number and turn the AI on, Teric will scan for the transmitter and start flashing red "COMMS" and consuming 25% more battery power until you turn the transmitter on by opening the tank valve to put gas pressure on the transmitter's pressure transducer. Once the AI is paired with the transmitter, then the power consumption will drop to 10% more than if the AI is off.

Ok, it’s not that hard, I have paired transmitters yet I may dive without one on my regulator and I don’t turn off the AI the computer will look for it and keep looking for it using more power yet if I’m walking down the street in watch mode it will not be looking for a signal.

Ok, it’s not that hard, I have paired transmitters yet I may dive without one on my regulator and I don’t turn off the AI the computer will look for it and keep looking for it using more power yet if I’m walking down the street in watch mode it will not be looking for a signal.

According to Shearwater once the AI is turned on it will still be looking for the transmitter even in Watch mode, it's just that you don't see the flashing red on the screen.

Based on what I have read about the system the Transmitter sends a signal every 10 seconds or at some specific time interval. I am assuming what happens is that the receiver in the Teric is always looking for that signal and that's why the power usage is 25%. Once it finds the signal and the two devices sync the Teric starts to only turn on it's receiver just before the pulse of data is sent and turns back off after it is received. That is why the power drops down to 10% because the receiver is not running all the time.
It's kind of like saving batteries in your Walkie Talkie by only turning it on at a mutually agreed time.

Reactions: Dan
Transmitter data is transmitted every 5 seconds (page 47/88 of manual).

An interesting safety info for those who don't read the manual (page 48/88):

"Check that your tank valve is open. Always take a few breaths from your regulator or purge your regulator’s second stage while monitoring your tank pressure for a full 10-15 seconds prior to entering the water to ensure your tank valve is turned on. If the first stage regulator is charged but the tank valve has been closed, the breathing gas available to the diver will decrease rapidly and within a few breaths the diver will face an “out of air“ situation. Unlike an analog gauge, the air pressure reported on the Teric will only update every 5 seconds, so the pressure reported by the Teric must be monitored for longer than that (we suggest 10-15 seconds) to ensure the tank valve is open. Including a regulator purge test followed by 10-15 seconds of air pressure monitoring before entering the water as part of your pre-dive safety check is a good way to mitigate this risk."

By going through that pre-dive safety check, you'll be reminding yourself to turn on your AI and completely open the tank valve before jumping into the water.

Well my backup Teric came back for what is hopefully its last trip to Dive-tronix *knocks on wood* this battery should be a good one.

Richard calls me the Teric killer, but I think that I simply notice the usage imbalance because I have a pair of them bought and repaired/replaced at different times. So I can see one is still at 100% after a week of sitting while the other might be at mid-80%.

Richard also sent me a subtle reminder that my screen protector is scratched and needs to replacing by putting a set of them in the box. Cave rash.

Well my backup Teric came back for what is hopefully its last trip to Dive-tronix *knocks on wood* this battery should be a good one.

Richard calls me the Teric killer, but I think that I simply notice the usage imbalance because I have a pair of them bought and repaired/replaced at different times. So I can see one is still at 100% after a week of sitting while the other might be at mid-80%.

Richard also sent me a subtle reminder that my screen protector is scratched and needs to replacing by putting a set of them in the box. Cave rash.
When you say 100% after one week what state do you have it in, Is that with AI and Compass off? I would like to compare mine with yours. I know room temperature is going to play into this but they should still be close.

When you say 100% after one week what state do you have it in, Is that with AI and Compass off? I would like to compare mine with yours. I know room temperature is going to play into this but they should still be close.

I leave everything on.

I believe that if AI or the compass remains on while in sleep mode that is a bug that should be fixed by Shearwater not by the consumers. And IMO that those were likely just speculations until Shearwater realized that they had a batch of bad batteries.

I leave everything on.

I believe that if AI or the compass remains on while in sleep mode that is a bug that should be fixed by Shearwater not by the consumers. And IMO that those were likely just speculations until Shearwater realized that they had a batch of bad batteries.

Mid next week I am going to give it a try for 4 days and see is the battery remains at 100%. I am still trying to find the AI signal, so I still need to play with it.

My wife and I both have been using a Teric since oktober 2019.
After 48 hours fully charged batteries dropped to 82% and 86% when the dc's are off. (Fairly similar results there.)
After contacting Shearwater, both were sent to Narked@90 in the UK for a check up (or maybe a battery exchange).

To be continued...
Both Teric's came back serviced after 2 months.
At first they were sent to the European service center in the UK. But after a few weeks they still hadn't arrived.
Supposedly because of a combination of "Brexit" and Covid. Slow shipping/customs because of that were given as a reason.
So they were sent of to Shearwater in Canada instead, where they arrived march 8th. A few days later they were sent back after service.
We were able to pick them up at our LDS last saturday, march 20th.
Strange times we live in, but all's well that ends well.

Thank you Shearwater for your great service and support!! Testing them in the water later this week.

Back
Top Bottom