Testing Empty Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caruso, you are making a big deal about how having the camera inside is an integral part of the strength of the (rigid) housing, hence your conclusion that an empty (rigid) housing will/could/might implode. Can you give any evidence that this is a problem, or is it just speculation/argument?

My posts in regard to the camera filling up the empty space within the housing and thus decreasing the tendency for the camera housing to flex inward, crack, lose it's seal, or even implode is just speculation based on my knowledge of physics, nothing more.

I'm sorry that I cannot provide you with further evidence, I have nothing more to add.

Going back to the OP question, if you've been testing the empty housing and it works fine, it just proves what we've been saying - it is not a problem to test an empty housing - but it's giving you a false sense of security - anytime you open the housing you risk getting something on the o-rings.

I note you said you did a bucket test and that passed but the housing leaked at depth - was the bucket test with the camera inside?

Going back to the OP question, if you've been testing the empty housing and it works fine, it just proves what we've been saying - it is not a problem to test an empty housing - but it's giving you a false sense of security - anytime you open the housing you risk getting something on the o-rings.

I note you said you did a bucket test and that passed but the housing leaked at depth - was the bucket test with the camera inside?

I'm not testing for an o-ring failure after a flight, but housing cracks, button or lever breaks. My housing goes into checked baggage. I do my best to pad it, but you never know.

The housing was flawed in the first place. There were molding lines that were hair width, which in a bucket, caused no problems. At depth, they created an entryway for water to seep by the o-ring. I've sanded down the molding lines, according to a web page I found, and it's been working fine. The o-ring seals. The only concern is damage from transport.

The only concern is damage from transport.

Have you considered carrying it with you? Is there a particular reason you check it in? I travel with camera gear and the only thing I would ever consider checking are the clamps/arms/ball mounts/floats.

Have you considered carrying it with you? Is there a particular reason you check it in? I travel with camera gear and the only thing I would ever consider checking are the clamps/arms/ball mounts/floats.

I'm already dealing with a travel backpack, a roller and a camera backpack. The roller is carry-on size, but always over the 7 kg limit.

I'm already dealing with a travel backpack, a roller and a camera backpack. The roller is carry-on size, but always over the 7 kg limit.

My camera roller is 18kg :) I have always been let on with it even after weighing, once I explain what it is and that it’s fragile, and how much it’s worth. Maybe it’s worth a try for you.

My camera roller is 18kg :) I have always been let on with it even after weighing, once I explain what it is and that it’s fragile, and how much it’s worth. Maybe it’s worth a try for you.

My housing cost $100!

My roller has my main diving gear, so I either go bigger to include the housing, which would likely put me over the size limit, or I have another bag, which becomes too unmanageable.

What do you do for puddle jumper flights, where the overhead only fits small backpacks, the same size as what's available under seats?

My housing cost $100!

My roller has my main diving gear, so I either go bigger to include the housing, which would likely put me over the size limit, or I have another bag, which becomes too unmanageable.

What do you do for puddle jumper flights, where the overhead only fits small backpacks, the same size as what's available under seats?

Your housing may not cost much, but if it’s damaged and floods, your camera is worth a lot more, plus the hassle. It just takes a little something out of alignment.

I have flown little Embraer “commuters” and I am able to stick my backpack in the tiny overhead and put my rollerboard (intl size) under the seat. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom