Testing New OCi Watch & Transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrcavallo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello,

i have done a number of dives and have finally decided to purchase a full set of gear. this included an OCi and transmitter.

i am a number of weeks off diving but am not sure how i can test to see if the units will talk to each other successfully.

i see no reference in the manual as to connecting the 2. does the transmitter need to be installed with a tank before the OCi will see it?

i would like to know if there is any way i can test this before diving as i am not even sure if the battery is ok.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Mark.

Yes, the transmitter needs to be set up on a tank and pressurized before the OCI will recognize it.

The transmitter will have a serial number printed on the side that needs to be entered into the OCi in order for communications to be recognized. See page 26 of the owner's manual. I found the manual to be a little difficult to understand; however, with a lot of patience, I managed through it. I think that the serial number is called 'the link' in the manual.

great - thank you for letting me know.

ive set up the serial for the transmitter for now - tho i coulnd't find the option at first then realised after some time i was in the wrong mode! looks like i've got a fair bit of familiarization yet to do.

cheers,

Mark.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but is there no way to test the transmitter or see battery status of the transmitter without having a tank handy? It's annoying that you can't tell if it even turns on/works without being pressurized.

I know this is an old thread but is there no way to test the transmitter or see battery status of the transmitter without having a tank handy? It's annoying that you can't tell if it even turns on/works without being pressurized.
It is the pressure from the tank that turns it on.
This is good, because (1) you don't forget to turn on the transmitter before a dive, and (2) it also turns off when you depressurize the tank, thus saving your transmitter battery.

It is the pressure from the tank that turns it on.
This is good, because (1) you don't forget to turn on the transmitter before a dive, and (2) it also turns off when you depressurize the tank, thus saving your transmitter battery.
I agree that it's a good feature to save the battery, but how would the user know that the battery in the transmitter may need to be replaced if they are prepping for a dive beforehand and may not have tanks available? I have yet to purchase a dive computer, so I'm in the researching phase on various ones.

Couple of points -

Batteries are pretty cheap and last seemingly forever. I replace our transmitter batteries before every trip and bring a spare (with O-ring) but that seems to be overkill.

The OCi uses the same transmitter as a huge assortment of computers. I bought my transmitter for an Oceanic VT3, which worked with my wife's computer (Aeris Epic) as well as my new Shearwater Perdix AI. Basically, almost everyone uses the same OEM transmitters and operate the same way.

See: Are Pressure Transmitters compatible across brands? for more detail.

Couple of points -

Batteries are pretty cheap and last seemingly forever. I replace our transmitter batteries before every trip and bring a spare (with O-ring) but that seems to be overkill.

The OCi uses the same transmitter as a huge assortment of computers. I bought my transmitter for an Oceanic VT3, which worked with my wife's computer (Aeris Epic) as well as my new Shearwater Perdix AI. Basically, almost everyone uses the same OEM transmitters and operate the same way.

See: Are Pressure Transmitters compatible across brands? for more detail.
Thanks. So, I'm assuming it's easily replaceable in the field should I need to. Otherwise, no point in bringing the spare battery.

Back
Top Bottom