Texas LCRA Lakes Temporarily Closed 10/15/18 Until Further Notice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to LCRA's historic data, the historic minimum was on August 14th, 1951 at 614.18 (66.82 feet below full), and the historic maximum was on December 25th, 1991 at 710.44 (29.44 feet above full). It's currently at 698.36 and still rising slowly with all four flood gates open. It's going to be 1-2 days for the floods upstream to make their way down to Travis.

Llano/Kingston bridge:
Lake Travis went up over 20' yesterday and is currently more than 16' above full. It may endanger the office at Windy Point Park which would really suck.
I tried to call down there to see if he could use some help. No one answered

A few years ago I did a lot of research on Mansfield Dam and the related Shaker Plant for a presentation at LCRA. We are not likely to see the level of flooding that occurred in the 1930's (Riverside at Congress had over 10' of water), but this one is a record breaker.

Here is a link to the current guidelines LCRA will be using to open additional floodgates.

Key elevations for Lake Travis during floods

The record was set at 6 floodgates in the 50's. Things start to get scary when the water is close to the spillway elevation. The guidelines say open gates regardless of "downstream conditions" at the 714' elevation.

I just talked to Richard

Can he save the compressor(s) or is the air station just the bank and whip area? I have to think that the entire air system would be a big dollar item to replace. If the F4 is underwater it will be an epic issue downstream I suspect.

Fingers crossed. Can it just flood up to the base of his building and then dive the picnic tables for novelty?

Can he save the compressor(s) or is the air station just the bank and whip area? I have to think that the entire air system would be a big dollar item to replace. If the F4 is underwater it will be an epic issue downstream I suspect.

Fingers crossed. Can it just flood up to the base of his building and then dive the picnic tables for novelty?

He was pulling everything he could out yesterday, including the port-a-johns up into the parking lot (wouldn't want to dive thru that). Hopefully he either gets everything important out or it doesn't flood enough to damage it. Yep, I want to do a quick dive over the park for novelty. I wouldn't get near the actual lake due to high flow and dangerous debris.

A few years ago I did a lot of research on Mansfield Dam and the related Shaker Plant for a presentation at LCRA...The record was set at 6 floodgates in the 50's. Things start to get scary when the water is close to the spillway elevation. The guidelines say open gates regardless of "downstream conditions" at the 714' elevation.

Thanks for the info. With 4 floodgates opened yesterday, it still rose over a foot. I think the upstream flood is supposed to hit Travis in the next day or two. I haven't worked at the SOC in a couple years, so I don't have that info handy anymore. Has anyone seen that ETA?

Thanks for the info. With 4 floodgates opened yesterday, it still rose over a foot. I think the upstream flood is supposed to hit Travis in the next day or two. I haven't worked at the SOC in a couple years, so I don't have that info handy anymore. Has anyone seen that ETA?
There's a pretty in depth discussion here

2018 Rain Thread

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom