TG-4 (Faceplate) Gone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently loaned my TG-4 to someone who isn't all that careful with cameras. I figured - it's a Tough model, so I should be OK. We did several dives to about 20ft over a couple days. I soaked it in fresh water each night. When I got home, it still looked a little salty and sandy, so I thoroughly cleaned and soaked it. To really get everything out, I had to remove the thin, black circular ring that surrounds the lens. Not sure exactly how to describe this part, but it seemed removable/replaceable. With the ring removed, I was able to clean more thoroughly, though it seems like there is some permanent corrosion on a few of the metal screws.

Fast forward to the next trip - lots of snorkeling, and now this (removable?) ring has fallen off to the depths and is no more. I used the camera for the rest of the trip and it works fine, but it doesn't seem right to keep using it like this. There is a piece of exposed, bent metal under where the ring was. Not sure what this does - my guess is power or communication for one of the front-lens accessories, like the ring light or wa lens. Now it's just sticking out and bent. I'm a little disappointed. I really like the camera and I'm having fun with the GPS. Attached are some shots of the current state of the front of the camera - you can also see some corrosion around the screws. And a cool TG-4 lightning shot taken while snorkeling in the Bahamas. Thoughts? Suggestions?
13731857_10154546861588641_1425477959980892261_o.jpg tg4f-1.jpg tg4f-2.jpg tg4f-3.jpg

I think that's it - thanks! I just hope in its current condition that it will stay on the front.

Thanks, pubert & james_bond_007 for the links. Both of those are the piece that fell off. I also got this link from the Olympus parts site: Replacement Front Decoration Ring TG-1, TG-2, TG-3, TG-4 (Red) | Olympus.

In the interest of anyone who may experience this in the future, I'll describe what I decided to do. Because the small strip of metal was now bent, and because before the "Front Decoration Ring" fell off, it was having trouble staying on securely (maybe due to this piece of bent metal) I was concerned that just getting another Front Decoration Ring wouldn't work. It's definitely the right part, but it seemed like it would probably just fall off again. So I decided instead to order the CLA-T01 (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0080DIYZW/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471527790&sr=sr-1&keywords=cla-t01).

From the pictures, this piece looked more secure, since it rotates and clicks positively into place instead of just snapping on. I received it last night and, at first, was very confused. I kept trying to fit it in place of the Front Decoration Ring. What I then realized is that the entire plastic piece that contains the bent metal strip actually comes off of the camera. I removed that entire piece, clicked the CLA-T01 into place, and now things are more secure. With the CLA-T01 in place, there's no need for the Front Decoration Ring, you get a lens cap, and you can use 40.5mm filters/lenses. So I think it's a good result. There's still some corrosion on the very small metal screws under the CLA-T01 but I have better access to them now and will clean them up as best I can.

Picture #1 shows the bit with the metal strip completely removed (the bit under the Front Decoration Ring
Picture #2 shows the camera without this piece
Picture #3 shows the camera with the CLA-T01 in place

Just posting for posterity, in case anyone runs into this issue in the future.

1s.jpg 2s.jpg 3s.jpg

Picture #1 shows the bit with the metal strip completely removed (the bit under the Front Decoration Ring
Picture #2 shows the camera without this piece
Picture #3 shows the camera with the CLA-T01 in place

Just posting for posterity, in case anyone runs into this issue in the future.

View attachment 379727 View attachment 379728 View attachment 379729
My decorative lens ring fell off while snorkeling as well. I'm on vacation and hesitant to use my camera under water when I go out again. Did you take your's out for dives or snorkling without it?

My decorative lens ring fell off while snorkeling as well. I'm on vacation and hesitant to use my camera under water when I go out again. Did you take your's out for dives or snorkling without it?

Yes, it should be fine. I used it a lot without the ring and never had any issues with water proofness or operation of the camera.

My Olympus housing came with a black replacement for that deco ring, that is a little fatter so it covers the writing on the front of the lens. This prevents reflection of the white writing on the lens from the inside of the housing front glass. As far as I can tell, the original thinner ring and the black fatter replacement both just snap in, no springs or metal or anything hold them. I also have the CLA-T01 and it too covers the white writing on the lens. I've not tried, but it looks like it would still fit in the housing with the CLA-T01. I'm not at all sure what that piece of metal you talk about is. I can't find one on any of the rings or around the lens. There is a tiny piece of metal inside the original cosmetic ring, about 2x4mm, that is embedded. There is nothing like that on the anti-reflection ring that came with the housing, or on the CLA-T01.

Good thing to know.
Was thinking of getting the tg5 for snorkeling.
Was wondering whether I need to buy the Ikelite housing for it but it seems to do quite well without it from what I read

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom