Tg-4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

207diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering getting the Olympus tg 4 and ikelite housing this will be my first underwater camera. My question is will this take decent pictures without and the aid of video lights or strobes or would it be advisable to purchase lights also. Hoping to not spend a ton of money. Any examples of using this camera with natural lighting only? I primary dive in the northeast. Thanks!

I have no experience with the TG-4...yet.

I have used a TG-2 and currently use a TG-3. I've used both with and without housings. I've been pleased with the quality of the photos and even more so with the video. Be sure to use the underwater settings as it will compensate for color change. There should also be settings for underwater wide angle, underwater action and I think the TG-4 even has an underwater supermacro. Overall, the TG series is hard to beat.

Sorry I don't have any current photos to post.

I have an Ikelite housing for my TG-3 and just found out it will also fit the TG-4. I'm considering upgrading to the TG-4 and retiring my TG-3 to backup status.

Thanks for the replies! Seems like a very capable camera for the price.

I purchased the TG 4 and case from Blue Water Photo in June. I had only one chance to "play" with it before a 7 day trip to Bonaire.
I also purchased a video light, I Torch 6, to compliment my Iklite AF 35 strobe that I already owned.
My goal with this camera was to move up from my Olympus 1030sw. I was looking for the ability to shoot HD video as well obtain a more up to date camera with raw capability should I chose to utilize it. I was not looking for a "expert" level camera but have some photo, dry land, training and wanted more than a basic point and shoot. I have been VERY pleased with the results from my TG 4. It took tremendous close up shots, and was a breeze to use both above and underwater with the case. I will try to follow up with some pics. I would recommend to the OP to look into some type of light and or flash. I really liked the idea of having both. I was able to see colors before my strobe fired and it also helped to suppliment my single strobe set up. As recommended by Blue Water, I mounted my video light to the hot point at the top of the housing. This proved to be of great benefit. Feel free to message me should you have any question about this product and my experience. I couldn't be more pleased. IMG_2942.jpg

Here are a couple more shots taken with the TG 4. The colors have NOT been enhanced.P6280274.jpgP7020509.jpgP7020580.jpgP7020594.jpgP7030683.jpgP7030711.jpg

These from somebody with limited underwater photo experience using a new camera and lighting system. Highly recommend this camera for somebody like myself that has a tight budget but wants good results. 1500.00 will get you a new TG 4, housing, Iklite AF 35 strobe and I torch 6 video light. May even have some money left over for a tank fill or two.

I have an Olympus TG-3. At the end of July I did a short dive in Lake Michigan near where I live. I posted two of the videos on youtube at this address:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reVWBW2hUhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssndp8xooC8

Each was taken in about 12 feet of water with nothing on the camera except selecting the underwater setting. The video is shaky because I was just holding the camera in my hand. I didn't use any lights or a housing.

I am also looking at the Olympus TG-4. I currently have a Sony with housing and I use a red filter and only the built in flash. I don't want to deal with the cumbersome strobes and external flashes. The filter really makes a huge difference in the color of the pictures. The TG-4 has an underwater setting. Does this setting compensate for my manual red filter, or is there a red filter available to add to this housing?

I'm also interested in the tg4 for snorkeling.
I'll be in about 15 to 2o feet of water and would like to get away without a strobe or light.
Only relying on the cameras flash
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom