TG-5 for occasional photos - what lighting gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruno Genovese

Registered
Reaction score
For starters, although I enjoy a nice photo like the next guy, I am not an avid photographer that would carry the camera in his hands for the whole dive. I think I will usually want to carry my camera clipped on my rig and only take it out occasionally to snap a photo.

The TG-5 and its Olympus housing seem perfect for that purpose: Compact, capable and reasonably priced. And I saw a neoprene pouch to give it extra protection and clip it to me when not in use.

But lighting is necessary, and all of the rigs I saw make it so bulky that I can't imagine a good way to carry it hands-free without banging it against the bottom.

Can anyone make recommendations for a compact lighting rig and pouch or other protection so that I can carry it all clipped to me?

Or is the camera's built-in flash/light sufficient for my purposes? (I doubt it but I might as well ask you pros)

......snip....

Can anyone make recommendations for a compact lighting rig and pouch or other protection so that I can carry it all clipped to me?
Or is the camera's built-in flash/light sufficient for my purposes? (I doubt it but I might as well ask you pros)

I personally did not find the built-in flash with the diffuser useful. It is better than nothing, but very limited. I suggest 2 options that might meet your needs.

option 1 - the cheapest. Dive with a video light, approximately 1000 lumens. That's small and compact. The reason I suggest a video light is that it provides wide angle lighting. You could also use a dive light that has an adjustable beam. This is cheap because you probably are already diving with a light, and now that light has two purposes. When taking a photo, you hold the light in one hand, lighting your subject, and hold the camera in the other. If you have bigger hands you could hold the camera & light in one hand. I have more success with this than my wife. Alternatively, have your dive partner handle the light.

option 2 - use the 'hot shoe' at the top of the Olympus housing to mount a video light. If you buy something like the light & motion photo 800, and mount that on a ball or locline, you'd have an adjustable light you can turn on/off, and it sits on the camera securely. Unfortunately that means buying a new light. The L&M Photo 800 comes on sale fairly often.

Since progressing through both of these options, we've now settled on using arms & strobes, but it is bulky like you said, but each step wasn't useless. We still use our video light as a basic dive light, and the L&M Photo 800 is our focus light for my M43 setup.

I should have added that using video lights instead of strobes definitely has its limitations but for macro photos and close-up fish portraits, handheld lights on the TG5 are pretty good! As a bonus, the 'no strobe' setup works well for video, not surprisingly because you are using wide angle lights.

When using the ultra close-up 'microscope' mode on the TG5, any hand-held light provides more than enough lumens to pop the colors on a nudibranch or tiny shrimp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom