TG-5 with Seafrogs housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uno1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently purchased a TG-5 along with a Seafrogs housing. I took the setup to Truk Lagoon last week.
I was happy with the performance of the TG-5. I used it primarily in auto mode and I felt it gave good results with the basic set up I used:
Lighting: Single Hi-max V11
Housing: Seafrogs 60m/195ft
Arm: Intova Sport Camera Mini Base Tray and flex arm
Previously I used an Intova HD2 Marine camera. I found this setup no more difficult to use, albeit a bit more bulky. The setup was balanced and comfortable to use.
The Seafrogs housing operated flawlessly. I took the set up to 37m without problem. This means the housing is more than adequate for 99% of my diving. The controls were easy to use and the screen was bright and easy to read and frame shots. The following links will give you an idea of the raw video quality the camera gave under different conditions.
Fujikawa Mare: Truk Lagoon
Anemone fish: Truk Lagoon
I still have a lot to learn about the camera and how to optimize its performance but I am looking forward to getting out and getting the system wet.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for sharing that footage. I’m looking at purchasing a TG-5 with Seafrogs housing myself. The only ‘review’ I can find on that combination is right here from you.

Not meant as criticism, but please could you update your YouTube channel’s videos to reflect which camera setup you used in each individual video? And if I’m really pushing it (haha), depth and location?

Would be handy for us viewers to know - I’m assuming all the videos on your channel are with the TG-5.

While I’m picking your brains, would you be able to tell me if the Seafrog underwater housing is compatible with wide/macro underwater lenses?

Would be a real dealbreaker for me to know either way.

Thanks a lot and keep up the great footage!

Hi Sean

My last photography course was some 40 years ago so technically I won’t be of much assistance to you.

Yes, they were taken with a TG-5 (except for the cuttlefish). Most of my videos on this trip were shot in automatic mode, 1920 x1080, 30fps. As it was my first run with the set up I was just trying to see how it worked as a simple point and shoot. To this end it was good. I take your point and I will try to be more rigorous with details in future postings.

As for depth and location they are not available when you use a housing, Seafrogs, Olympus or any other. The camera is not exposed to the external water pressure, the temperature will depend on equilibration between water and the air in the housing and GPS does not work underwater. I leave the GPS turned off the extend battery life.

I did get a little condensation in the housing on one dive. I added a silica gel sachet on subsequent dives and never had the issue again. The dozen dives I carried the carried the camera on were 14-37m with the majority around 28m. I lubricated the top O-ring prior to the trip. I did not touch it during the trip.

I have purchased a Meikon Wide Angle Wet Correctional Dome Port Lens (67mm Round Adapter) that screws into the front of the housing for wide angle shooting. I have not been able to test how effective it is yet. I am unable to help with other wide angle wet or dry lens suitability for this housing.

I am unable to comment on macro underwater lens suitability for use with the Seafrogs housing. It has a 67mm thread so perhaps some of those mentioned in this article may be suitable. Macro Wet Lenses for Underwater Photography (Compact Cameras)/. I will leave that to other more technically qualified people on the forum or suppliers to advise you on whether they will work. However, one of the reasons people choose to buy the TG-5 is its excellent native macro capabilities including its microscope mode. Unless you are looking at super macro, extra lenses may be unnecessary.

Hope I have been of some help.

Cheers

The Meikon/Seafrog housing has both M52 and M67 threads, it is compatible with INON (along with others) wet lens, like the UWL-H100 (with the optional dome) for wide and the micro fisheye UFL-M150 ZM80.
The macro lens isn't a often discussed argument when talking about the TG5 for a reason: the super-zoom can produce nice macro shoots without the need of additional lens and unless you're into super-macro there's no need to have one (so it's a niche thing..).

Back
Top Bottom