TG-5 without lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

candacebot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking of purchasing the TG-5 and housing as a first dive camera. I've been using a go pro and shooting video until now. I'm not a photographer so simple is best! To begin, I would like to use it without lights while I snap a few random pics here and there and get used to having a camera. Is it even worth getting without a strobe setup? Would love to hear from anyone who has used the 5 or similar in this way. Thanks so much! Candace

I just used mine for first in a liveaboard trip in Palau and I was amazed how many people had same one. Mine didn't have a light ir strobe and took decent pictures but others used a light source and big difference especially for the Macro stuff.
So to answer your question yes you can take it with you even without a light or strobe.

I am thinking of purchasing the TG-5 and housing as a first dive camera. I've been using a go pro and shooting video until now. I'm not a photographer so simple is best! To begin, I would like to use it without lights while I snap a few random pics here and there and get used to having a camera. Is it even worth getting without a strobe setup? Would love to hear from anyone who has used the 5 or similar in this way. Thanks so much! Candace
I have also just bought one and am taking it to Lembeh soon. I have been practicing with ot and it seems as if the flash is very good. I have also worked out how to adjust the WB manually , so am going to give it a go. There is a FB group where people share Photos they have taken with Tgs , many are fine with just the internal flash.mi will report back !

My daughter uses a TG-4 without strobe and it works pretty well, with the right settings. For available light Av at f2.8 works pretty well with UW white balance. It also works quite well for macro setup in Av at f8, flash on fill (not slow Sync) and ISO100. If I recall correctly shutter speed bottoms out when fill flash is used so you can shoot with 100% flash. This will work OK if you are very close. You have two custom modes on the mode dial. Store available light in one and flash in the other. I'm assuming TG-5 will be similar. Shoot in RAW as white balance isn't perfect.

As with so many scuba related questions, it depends. As you can see by previous replies, it's possible.
If you primarily dive Pacific Northwest, murkier waters, that is an additional challenge to available light underwater photography, but the on camera flash will still work for up close stuff.

Thanks so much for the responses! I'm glad to know it's not a waste of time in principle :) I think I will go for it!
And @Tippytoes12 when are you going? I'll be excited to hear your results!
@KevinG58 - I used to be a PNW diver but then made the mistake of diving in warm water. Ruined :wink:

I just used mine for first in a liveaboard trip in Palau and I was amazed how many people had same one. Mine didn't have a light ir strobe and took decent pictures but others used a light source and big difference especially for the Macro stuff.
So to answer your question yes you can take it with you even without a light or strobe.[/QUOT

Do you have any photos to share ?

I just returned from a LOB trip with my new TG-5 and no strobe but i did have a video light. I used it mostly for macro. I got some nice shots but I am in the process of buying a strobe for my next trip

I just got back from Roatan Honduras and I rented the tg3 for a few days to compare it to my sea life dc1400. I was blown away by the shutter speed and how much more effective the processor was at grabbing up the light and color of the things I was shooting. I was using a flash at first and found my sealife flash was too much and many time not necessary. The built in flash on the tg-3 was powerful enough to light up most things I was within 3 feet of so I was really pleased. Needless to say I'm now looking at buying the tg-5 to use with my ys-01 strobes that I picked up from another diver on the trip. I am upset that I didn't try the olympus TG series sooner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom