TG-5 without lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are a few examples with no extra light aside from the flash of the camera (no video light with these). My first time using it. It was obvious how more light would have helped though. You can see in the first eel shot especially. I just bought strobes for my next trip

P1020307.JPG P1030361.JPG P1020282.JPG P1010023.JPG P1010009.JPG

I am thinking of purchasing the TG-5 and housing as a first dive camera. I've been using a go pro and shooting video until now. I'm not a photographer so simple is best! To begin, I would like to use it without lights while I snap a few random pics here and there and get used to having a camera. Is it even worth getting without a strobe setup? Would love to hear from anyone who has used the 5 or similar in this way. Thanks so much! Candace
We purchased the TG-5 and housing as our first camera for underwater. We got good pics, especially since it was not only our first underwater camera, it was our first underwater (diving) experience. We purchased an additional light but it was a cheap on. It took pretty good pics for not having any special effects. Just at 60 feet down, the light is needed! The beauty is that you can still add to the camera a little at a time. I think the camera will take care of us for many years and many dives! Great price for it too! We ordered from Backscatter. Good luck!

I also got mine from Backscatter and I just want to add how great they were with customer service overall. Great team they have working there

Here are a few examples with no extra light aside from the flash of the camera (no video light with these). My first time using it. It was obvious how more light would have helped though. You can see in the first eel shot especially. I just bought strobes for my next trip

View attachment 445822 View attachment 445824 View attachment 445825 View attachment 445826 View attachment 445827

By any chance, is it possible to tell me what your settings were? I'm in Egypt and 'assumed' that the 'underwater' setting was all I needed to use--come to find out, more complicated. If I had settings you used, I think I could get by until I start learning a bit more... Thanks, Eric

TG-3, no housing, on camera flash. Obviously strobe really only works fairly close...

Turks2018_360.JPG
Turks2018_353.JPG
Turks2018_073.JPG
Turks2018_064.JPG

By any chance, is it possible to tell me what your settings were? I'm in Egypt and 'assumed' that the 'underwater' setting was all I needed to use--come to find out, more complicated. If I had settings you used, I think I could get by until I start learning a bit more... Thanks, Eric

I found this video to be quite helpful:

Video Tutorials - Best Underwater Camera Settings for Olympus TOUGH TG-5

PS. How long will you be in Egypt? I am heading there in 9 days

I start a liveaboard on 28 and head back on May 8th.

I have viewed that video. How did you set your white balance? Do you dive with a white board and set it at your current depth before snapping a shot of your subject?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom