TG5/6 as travel camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi guys, my daughter is thinking of buying a waterproof camera to snorkel with and be ideal as a travel camera.
What are your thoughts about the TG5 (can't see a lot of difference with the TG6). BTW she will not be buying a housing etc. for it.
Any other makes would be helpful as this is an area I don't know a lot about.

Why not? It's compact and rugged. It's ideal for snow sports, travel, etc. The first person I met who had the TG5 used it on all his mountain hikes and travel. At the very least I would recommend the silicone sleeve for it to protect from scratches. If lots of snorkeling will be done I would recommend a floating wrist band. I use mine for travel and diving (with the housing) and didn't find the adjustable wrist strap adequate under water. It was just too easy to have it come off so I ended up clipping it to my BCD.

The only thing I wouldn't use it for is prolonged use submerged in a jacuzzi hot tub. My brother had an older iteration of the Tough series rated to work underwater down to 3 meters. With the kids using it, it survived drops, seawater snorkeling, jumping in the pool but the seals could not take the heat, bubbles and higher chemical content. Improper post activity rinsing may have also played a part.

Our little girl has one; I chose it for drop resistance in particular. IIRC, I had to buy a little ring adapter thing for the lens so I could put a lens cap on it. It doesn't have one built-in.

Particularly for a camera that's going to be hauled around in rough conditions, I wanted a lens cap. Double-check in case I mis-remembered that, but if I didn't, make sure you've got a lens cover.

Do read some reviews, like at DPReviewcom, and be mindful of the sensor size and imaging capacities. These days the smart phone has replaced a lot of compact cameras. Depending on what your daughter has for a phone, an underwater case for it might be cheaper and serve her purpose fine (assuming she takes it most everywhere anyway). Just a thought.

I should have stated that she is 30 and has a Nikon SLR but wants a small decent camera to take on trips, like most of us we are trying to travel lighter. She does snorkel a bit but doesn't dive at all.

I just came back from Costa Rica using a TG6 for two weeks. I did not dive with it, but took it everywhere else. I would highly recommend the TG6. I have no exp with a TG5, but have read its also a great unit.

Comparison: Olympus TG-5 vs Olympus TG-6 Detailed Comparison

Also, Waterproof Compact Camera Roundup 2019 (Ricoh WG-6, Olympus TG-6, Panasonic TS7 / FTZ)

If your daughter is used to SLR quality images the other advantages of the TG5 over a camera phone are: 1) being able to shoot in RAW for better editing over JPG; 2) better memory card size available over a phone; 3) better battery life or being able to swap out to a fresh battery on the go if you get a second battery and proper recharger.

The TG5 only comes with a USB cord that connects directly to the camera for battery recharge. I would recommend the OEM battery as well. The generics often end up being a money pit. Any TG5 that is available now will be marked down now that the TG6 is out.

Disadvantages over an SLR camera, besides sensor size and fewer image capture controls, would be lack of a powerful zoom.

love the TG6 (got one last year) but be aware there is no build in lens protector (either install a cheap filter or add a cap). I have mine in the housing so not a big issue, the only other complaint is that you have to select the operation (usb, charge, sd) every time you connect the camera using the cable.

Otherwise it's a great camera.

only other complaint is that you have to select the operation (usb, charge, sd) every time you connect the camera using the cable.

I noticed that when I plug my daughter's TG-5 in. Since I'm too lazy to figure it out the hard way, any idea whether the thing will charge if I just leave it hooked up and don't select 'Charge' (or anything else) from the menu?

I noticed that when I plug my daughter's TG-5 in. Since I'm too lazy to figure it out the hard way, any idea whether the thing will charge if I just leave it hooked up and don't select 'Charge' (or anything else) from the menu?

mine did not, it went to sleep is my memory but I have not tested it as 99% of the time I downloaded pictures and it charges when set to usb

A similar thing happened with my Olympus Tough 8000 circa 2009 and I found it confusing so I bought extra batteries and used the recharger instead of the USB cord. Back then the recharger was included in the basic kit.

Back
Top Bottom