TG5 for snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbilicska

Contributor
Reaction score
A good day to all.
Do I need a housing for a TG5 if I'm going to be snorkeling.
I will be diving down to 20 or 30 feet which I know is well within the depth limits but will the constant diving down and coming back up in the salt water be a cause for concern over time.
Also not being on a dive boat I will not be able to rinse my camera off after coming out of the water.
Would rather not see a week or so of photos being ruined .
Thanks for any and all help was thinking about the Ikelite housing if I did purchase a housing along with the camera. In the great scheme of things $300 isn't that much if needed.
Joe

You don't need a housing, however if you read the fine print in the manual is says to put the camera in for service once a year to replace the seals. There are seals on the doors which you could do yourself and also a seal under the controls on the back and top panels. I had a TG850 and it leaked on the control panel seal at about 1 month old and was repaired under warranty. Then at about 14-15 months and out of warranty it leaked again and cost to fix was more than cost of camera. So it's not if but when the seals fail. I believe they are membrane seals which hole through after some wear. An annual service to do the seals will probably add up to a bit.

The Olympus housing is pretty nice and is neutrally buoyant with camera inside. You need to service the main o-ring your self which is not that hard, but you do need to carefully check for hairs and grit on the o-ring and the the o-ring groove/mating surface of the housing.

for snorkeling there is no need for a housing. all you need to do is rinse and soak it well at the end of each day.

if you are really paranoid about o ring set, then you could open the doors during the off season.

It's not the door seals that give trouble, rather the seals under all the buttons on the top and back panels of the camera in my experience. We soaked the TG-850 after every dive and it still failed a few months after warranty ran out. Yes it will work for some time without the housing and you may or may not be lucky and get more than a year and a bit life out of the camera.

Back
Top Bottom