TG5 with Substrobe Ai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arew+4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Trying to modernize contemplating the TG5 and want to use my really old iklite substrobe ai to save money. Anyone know if this is possible, and how do i do it.

TIA,
Arew

I use my Ikelite. AI substrobe with my Aquatica housing and Nikon d60. On the Nikon d60 I shoot full manual. The camera hot shoe sends the signal to the strobe. On the Nikon d60 the light meter does not know a strobe is attached. I guess on settings using strobe to subject distance. For subject closer than 3 foot 1/2 power. Full power beyond. Works very well. To see samples www.reefscenics.smugmug.com. my buddy does the same with his Nikon d90. Works also with Nikon sb105 the same. Most of the time I use ISO200,speed of 80-100 and just change aperture

You need the Ikelite optic fibre adapter :

Fiber Optic Converter for DS Strobes (3rd Gen)

whether it will trigger your particular ikelite strobe you would need to ask Ikelite. If it will trigger your strobe you just install a fibre optic port in front of the built flash on your housing, these are usually stick on items and run the cable to the adapter. It is a manual trigger, so turn flash compensation to minimum on the TG5 to save battery power.

Thanks for the feedback so far. From what i understand the accessories for the digital strobes will not work on the analog units. The other problem is that the compact camera/housing set ups don't usually have a hot shoe.

The other way is use your flash to trigger a nikonos sb105 which are easily found on eBay. My second strobe is a sb105 i use as a slave

Hello guys,
You can also trigger the SB 105 with an optical cord , I use it with the diffuser , you only need to drill a small hole to insert the cord plug

Back
Top Bottom