TG6 Battery Compartment Leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bilgerat

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had an unfortunate experience when I took my TG6 on a dive without the housing
The camera is supposed to be good for 15 metres or 50 feet without the need for it to be in a housing so I was surprised that after Id taken a couple of shots at about 5 meters or 15 feet that the camera stopped working and a card error message appeared.
After the dive I washed the TG6 in freshwater and allowed it to dry then opened the battery compartment only to find that it had flooded.
Prior to the dive I had fitted a recharged battery and a fresh SD card, inspected the seal and closed and locked the battery compartment lid.
This is not the first time I have heard of these cameras leaking at the battery compartment door
Thankfully Olympus Australia honoured the warranty and replaced the camera.
I have done several dives with it since this episode but always with the camera in the housing.

Not sure why anyone would dive with any camera without a housing but it's all worked out for you :thumb:

I can think of a couple of reasons. First, you can stick a non-housed TG-6 in a pocket or even stuff it inside your wetsuit. I do this on dives where photography is not a major part of the dive—trash removal dives for instance. Second, you can stick the little TG into some tight spots to get shots that would be more difficult or impossible with a bulky housing.

speckledscorp_dxo.jpg

@Bilgerat, I suggest you change your blinking GIF avatar. It clearly (see other threads) annoys some of us and is not making you any friends. Oh, and welcome to SB! As you can see, it's full of us old cranks.

EDIT: Now I see you've been member for quite a while. Well, welcome anyway.

Regarding the flooding incident, flooding failures appear to be quite uncommon within the TG series relative to the number of them out there. You were just unlucky—glad Olympus treated you right.

It's not if but when they'll flood, my daughter has a TG-4 - it always goes in the housing. The problem is the seals are not particularly durable and the seals under the buttons eventually hole through - the fine print in the manual says you should replace the seals every 12 months. Sometimes they fail before warranty is up, sometimes after.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom