• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

TG6 shutter speed setting not working in aperture mode

Discussion in 'The Olympus Outlet' started by White Chocolate, Oct 12, 2019 at 2:16 AM.

1. White Chocolate

White Chocolate Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I’ve been struggling with my TG6 to get shots to stay in focus or expose correctly in any wide angle or lower light settings. I have my max ISO set to 400 and was trying higher shutter speed limits with no luck. Even with the lowest shutter speed set at 1/500th it is still taking shots with exposures between 1/15th and 2 seconds. Am I confused on how to make this setting actually work, or is my camera the issue? I’ve followed a few of the best settings guides out there and am definitely in aperture mode. I am shooting with a fixed video light and the flash turned off. Any feedback would be appreciated!

2. Chris Ross

Chris Ross Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    the minimum shutter speed setting only works when you are using flash. If there is no flash and you fix the aperture and cap the ISO, there is no flexibility to change shutter speed from what the camera is giving you. The minimum shutter setting is designed to keep shutter speed high to exclude ambient light when you use flash as the sole light source.

what aperture are you using? at f2/2.8 on wide the video light should give enough light to give a reasonable shutter speed. It must be pretty dark to give shutter speeds that low at f2/2.8 and ISO400> assume the video light is on constantly when you are shooting.

athigunk likes this.
  3. athigunk

athigunk BKK Divers

In short, you need the flash turned on and it will work.

4. peterak

peterak Nassau Grouper

Minimum shutter speed works in aperture priority mode with flash turned off—within limits. Let's say you've used "Custom Menu>C>ISO-Auto Set" to set minimum shutter speed to 1/500 (the fastest possible) and maximum ISO to 400 (the slowest possible). And let's say you've set aperture to f/2.8 (or whatever). In very bright available light the camera will go to default ISO (100) and use a faster shutter speed than 1/500 in order to avoid overexposure. As available light is reduced, the camera will slow shutter speed and maintain default ISO until a shutter speed of 1/500 is reached. With still lower light, the camera will begin increasing ISO while maintaining 1/500 shutter speed. Once available light is so low that ISO 400 at 1/500 results in underexposure the camera will start reducing shutter speed as needed. (Obviously, setting maximum ISO to a higher value will give you more latitude here.) Aperture is fixed all the while. This is how it's supposed to work, and it does. I use it all the time to shoot fast-moving fish while snorkeling.

So if it's not working for you with your video light, the video light is probably not bright enough.

5. White Chocolate

White Chocolate Angel Fish

Thanks for the tips. It definitely works in flash mode. My video light actually has a flash actuated burst so I am going to start experimenting with that and see what happens. I’ve heard that it tends to overexpose shots but it’s pretty easy to change the minimum shutter and max iso so we will see what happens!