Thai dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rachelscott51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to potentially go to Thailand in the beginning of November and don't know where to go: hotels or dive sites. Please let me know what to look at and who the reliable dive shops are. Thanks so much.

Hi Rachel,

Where in Thailand are you thinking of going? A lil more info would be helpful. East side islands like Koh Tao or Samui or west around Phuket or Simillans?

If it's east then my favorite is Koh Tao. Although I did my OW on Samui through Big Blue (who I can recommend) I also heard good things about SIDS on Samui too. But seeing as most of the diving is around Koh Tao, why not go there? The whole island pretty much lives and breathes diving and you won't have to spend hours on a boat getting there. Planet Scuba have a good rep along with Big Blue (Koh Tao branch), Bans and Buddha View. I'm sure some more people will give you some other options there too. However I kinda steered cleared of the last two only for the reason that they seemed to be *too* big. Just my personal preference but I usually prefer slightly smaller operators so I get a lil more attention. :)

As to Hotels and the like on Samui or Tao......there are soooo many that doing a google search is really easy and then you can pick and choose. It's what I did. Maybe others will have some better opinions and advice on individual places.

If it's the west side islands then better to wait for other people to answer you. Never been there so couldn't tell you.

Good luck,

Arch

In the beginning of November the weather is best at the Andaman Side. Besides, IMO also the diving is better here.
At the Andaman you have basically the options:
Koh Lanta, daytrip diving at Hin Daeng and Hin Muang
Koh Phi Phi, daytrip diving at the Phi Phi area, Shark Point area and Hin Deang/Muang
Krabi, daytrip diving at the Phi Phi area, Shark Point area and some local sites
Phuket, daytrip diving at the Phi Phi area, Shark Point area, Racha islands, Hin Daeng/Muang, Similans and some local sites, liveaboard diving at Similans and Hin Daeng/Muang
Khao Lak, daytrips diving at Similans and Boonsung wreck, liveaboard diving at Similans.

Plenty of diveshops everywhere, just make your pick.
If you would like some more detailed information, please send me a PM.

Good point about the weather, Stevenl. Forgot that bit. Looking forward to diving on the west (Andaman sea) side. I'll get around to it one of these days.

Dunno why but I still have a soft spot for Tao and the east. :)

I liked the diving around Ko Lanta - as mentioned earlier, Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are absolutely great. Also the Ko Ha islands - closer and therefore easier to reach. Preferred this to Phuket/Similans.

The island of Ko Lanta is also much more quiet than Phuket or Khao Lak. The diving operators are mostly situated in the island's capital Ban Saladan, so accommodation on the northern beaches will make transfers shorter (you'll picked up and brought back by the operators normally).

Ko Lanta can be reached either by ferry from Phuket or Krabi; or, I think, also from Trang.

I am also trying to find a nice place to dive in Thailand end of November. I am going with a friend who has just learnt how to dive, so I am looking for an island with fairly easy diving. I don't know anything about Thailand as I have been diving mostly in Malaysia - Layang Layang, Perhentian, Redang. I am looking for a quiet island, with easy diving, and a great marine life. Any suggestions for a place/dive shop? Is Koh Phi Phi weather alright in November? I would appreciate any help!

Koh Phi Phi is great in November, though I don't know if Tonsai Village (the main village) qualifies for quiet. When we were there last year in November, it was pretty busy.

However, Phi Phi Island Resort has it's own private beach on the east of the island and it is very secluded. Actually tried to book there, but they had no availability until the 26th of November.

Ended up booking at Seaview Patong instead. Got a good deal from Siam-hotel.com.

As for dive operators, couldn't do a liveaboard (as you can guess from the hotel reservation) cause of time constraints, but I'm looking at West Coast Divers and Sea Bees.

Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it. I will be there 21-27 november so I guess I can't book the resort you recommended on Koh Phi Phi. It does look great though! Anyone out there have any other recommendations? I can't wait to leave cold london and be back in warm waters!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom