Thai liveaboard OR Puerto Gallera OR Elsewhere in region?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shugar,

Don't even start me on my governments ridiculous foreign policy etc.etc.
Aside from that I will have to agree with Sunrise.
Regardless, I have just booked the tickets today to PG and am looking into other areas, as I will be there for 13 days. Any quick advice will be appreciated. I do want to see whale sharks.

Simon,

Have no fear I will do a trip report as a sort of payback for all the help I have received on the forum. In that short time I have literally been amazed at willingness of people to lend their experience and time.

ssra30,

Thanks for the tip I am planning to split the days I am there between, Atlantis PG then Atlantis Dumaguette. Regarding the whale sharks I am hunting around for that location and will endeavor to make it there too. I was planning to do my DIR-F in PG also 3 days...I will also pick up Asian Diver tomorrow and check, hope to hell I can scuba with them..

Have a good trip, I am sure you will enjoy it. The whale shark place in Asian Diver was Donsol. Eco tour for whale shark sighting has become very popular there but as I understand, snorkeling only though.

Donsol Bay is whaleshark viewing area. Only snorkelling and the viz is often 10m or less, mostly less. Do wear full body protection as there's quite a bit of nasties around. If you're really unlucky, you can catch some fishermen catching a whaleshark.

After spending 4 1/2 months traveling and diving in the Philippines I reckon you are on the right track. PG has good diving and good nightlife for a single guy. Lots of choices for resturants, bars, etc to keep you entertained. Try to make it out to Verde Island for diving, very nice. Water temps will be around 23-26 C this time of year, a 3 mil suit might leave you cold at the end of a dive. I prefer 5 mil w/ hood cause I'm a skinny guy with no natural insulation.
But the best diving for me was around Apo Island, south of Dumaguete. The overall health of the reef was impressive to me compared to other sites in the Philippines. I think Atlantis makes trips to there and surrounding areas from the Dumaguete shop. Takes one hour to fly from Manila, about 40$ US. Dividing time between the PG and Dumaguete would be my choice to spend two weeks.
Donsol (located in SE Luzon) is about 11 hours bus ride direct from Manila, long ride, but probably your best bet for whale sharks, Febuary is supposed to be a good month to see them. No scuba allowed at Donsol, but snorkeling w/ whalesharks is a great experience.
One of the main reasons I enjoyed my time in the Philippines was because of meeeting locals and spending time with them. Goverment travel warnings always take the worst case scenario and make the world seem like a more dangerous place than it is. Common Sense is the solution to avoiding problems anywhere.
Consider the Similans for a future trip. A great place to dive, I was very happy with my 5 day liveaboard. Above average vis, lots of variety, mantas and whale sharks around Richliue Rock = Fun.

scubashooter:
Donsol Bay is whaleshark viewing area. Only snorkelling and the viz is often 10m or less, mostly less. Do wear full body protection as there's quite a bit of nasties around. If you're really unlucky, you can catch some fishermen catching a whaleshark.

Hmmm..

If that is the case then I may give Donsol bay a miss. I have been looking at some photos that were taken of the whale sharks there and yes they are very murky. I hope this visibility is not endemic of the whole region. Can anyone else confirm?

I will go see them in Western Australia sometime then; it may not be worth the visit and hassle.

Also I thought there was a ban on fishing them!

aquarius:
Hmmm..

If that is the case then I may give Donsol bay a miss. I have been looking at some photos that were taken of the whale sharks there and yes they are very murky. I hope this visibility is not endemic of the whole region. Can anyone else confirm?

I will go see them in Western Australia sometime then; it may not be worth the visit and hassle.

Also I thought there was a ban on fishing them!

the fishermen no longer catch or kill whalesharks, especially in the donsol area... they've since realized the error of their ways and how much more lucrative the tourist trade is compared to having a meal or two c/o the big fish... thank god for that really... it's something that's catching on nationwide too... now the "butanding" or whaleshark is seen as $$$$ rather than food... the locals know that when the big fish come around so do the tourists with fat, open wallets hehehehehe

it may not paint my less fortunate countrymen in a good light but hell, i'd rather see some poor schmuck talked out of a few dollars than see a great creature go down the toilet (literally)

donsol really has relatively bad viz as far as i heard... and if you're planning a PG/Dumaguete trip donsol will be way out of the way... i wouldn't recommend it either.

if you really want to whaleshark though, you can go for Leyte... much better viz and you can scuba it... but you'll have to ask the guys in the philippine forums for referrals to resorts/ dive ops... so it's leyte or tubbataha (but that's a totally different story as we're talking 7-day liveaboard here)

lastly: whew on the travel advisory... it's actually the 1st i've ever read and didn't realize they were freaking the world out with their warnings...

hate to read what government advisories have to say about afghanistan and iraq... must read something like:
"travel to these countries are forbidden on pain of death and mutilation. expect to be kidnapped at the airport upon arrival. prepare many american dollars for payment to customs examiner to allow him to release your luggage containing underwear.

given the conflicts in the streets, tourists are advised to wear kevlar helmets and vests at all times. children have been known to carry bombs on their bodies, so we advise all travelers to stay away from people in these countries."

i can imagine how much more they can add to this...

Jag

shugar:
the fishermen no longer catch or kill whalesharks, especially in the donsol area... they've since realized the error of their ways and how much more lucrative the tourist trade is compared to having a meal or two c/o the big fish... thank god for that really... it's something that's catching on nationwide too... now the "butanding" or whaleshark is seen as $$$$ rather than food... the locals know that when the big fish come around so do the tourists with fat, open wallets hehehehehe

Shugar, when was the last time you went to Donsol? The hunting of whalesharks is officially banned, true. But the practice is still happening. I happen to have seen 1 last year getting chopped up at sea. Reported to the authorities, fishermen from another island. They were set free.
And while I visit the Philippines at least annually, there are some security risks which one will face in any big city. I missed the Makati cinema bomb not long ago by an hour. My good friend was kidnapped and never returned in Manila. The kidnap of the missionaries in Mindanao and killings/kidnap of tourists in Palawan resort did happen a few years back. The chances of it happening again are very slim. I'm not afraid since I go to places that are more secluded and away from the tourist hotspots or troubled areas. Those government warnings reflect events that happened and should not be ridiculed as overly alarmist. They are there to inform you of potential risk.

Aquarius
Exmouth has probably the best dive site in Australia (on par with Yongala) at the Pt Murat navy pier. If you go for the whalesharks, you'd be paying a lot of money for pretty much the same thing in Donsol, except in better viz and more sophisticated methods of finding them. My hit ratio at Donsol has been much better than Exmouth. Shugar suggested Sogod (s. Leyte) for whalesharks, been there 3 times and did see them on 2 trips. The diving is better around Leyte and there's something else to do besides looking for whalesharks, but the hit/miss ratio is better in Donsol in my experience. Also there are fishermen from other islands who hit the occasional whaleshark there as well.There's also whaleshark/whale /dolphin viewing tours in Pamilacan Island near Bohol.

scubashooter:
Shugar, when was the last time you went to Donsol? The hunting of whalesharks is officially banned, true. But the practice is still happening. I happen to have seen 1 last year getting chopped up at sea. Reported to the authorities, fishermen from another island. They were set free.
And while I visit the Philippines at least annually, there are some security risks which one will face in any big city. I missed the Makati cinema bomb not long ago by an hour. My good friend was kidnapped and never returned in Manila. The kidnap of the missionaries in Mindanao and killings/kidnap of tourists in Palawan resort did happen a few years back. The chances of it happening again are very slim. I'm not afraid since I go to places that are more secluded and away from the tourist hotspots or troubled areas. Those government warnings reflect events that happened and should not be ridiculed as overly alarmist. They are there to inform you of potential risk.

the whaleshark thing is news to me... i guess it was wrong to actually trust the buggers...

sorry to hear of your friend...

just a question though... you don't find the warning a little overly alarmist? you've been here a few times before would you think the warning was fair?

Jag

shugar:
the whaleshark thing is news to me... i guess it was wrong to actually trust the buggers...

sorry to hear of your friend...

just a question though... you don't find the warning a little overly alarmist? you've been here a few times before would you think the warning was fair?

Jag

I think it's fair. Been going to the philippines for 20 years now so I'm alittle hardened to the dangers that is out there. Terrorist groups like Abu Sayaf did and still do kidnap missionaries(I am not one) and also tourists, blow things up and threaten the peace in the nation. Any government has the duty to warn its citizens of the potential danger posed to them. Anyone who reads it and is duly affected shouldn't go anyways. No one can guarantee that nothing will happen. The information shows the inherent (possible ) risks. You live in the zone so the risks are almost normal for you. For someone from a very sheltered place, it may be too much. So a little heightened warning is a good thing. I don't think anyone who's on holiday should have to look behind their backs and worry about safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom