Thailand Bound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmyers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a lot of frequent flier miles I have not used and decided to treat myself to a dive trip in late April or early May to Thailand. I have narrowed my search to the Similan Islands area. I have been researching dive tours in the area (everything from day trips to live aboards) and haven't had much luck deciding which to use.

Does anyone have any first hand experience and could suggest a good tour operator for day trips and a live aboard? I want good value for my money and don't want to get ripped off. Also, should I take my own BCD or just rent one there. I am taking my own reg set with computer.

Thanks,

David

I have done 5 trips on the Diverace liveaboard. Very nice boat and dive masters. The last trip they have in thailand this year is april 2-7. The thai navy does close the similians for diving in the hurricane season which does start in april to october. The thai navy is tired of rescuing sinking liveaboards in the storm season. I take all my equipment as i am familiar with it.

With that being said, I am kind of stuck on the time of year I can go due to work. Should I consider land based dive trips instead to other locations in the area?

I have done 5 trips on the Diverace liveaboard. Very nice boat and dive masters. The last trip they have in thailand this year is april 2-7. The thai navy does close the similians for diving in the hurricane season which does start in april to october. The thai navy is tired of rescuing sinking liveaboards in the storm season. I take all my equipment as i am familiar with it.
There is no hurricane season here, and the last boat that sunk in the off season was one hired by park rangers, who went out when they shouldn't have gone. And the Thai Navy does not close the Similans, the national parks do.

Late April/begin May should be ok, but especially that time of year I would prefer a liveaboard, daytrips to the best sites (Tachai and Richelieu) done by speedboat are IMO not advisable anymore that late in the season. Liveaboards are much bigger and more comfortable.

What kind of boat are you looking for David?

Just looking for a moderately priced live aboard that is well maintained, clean with good crew and food.

I've used Wicked Diving out of Kao Lack a couple of times and found them to be good value (they're not luxury) good crew and safe diving. I've used them in Komodo too.

I agree with the liveaboard option, they tend to be 3 day trips. I preferred the Surins to the Similans, but personal taste and they're both in the same "general" area

Similan Islands can offer some great diving. Liveaboard is the best way beacuse it is a long speedboat ride from the mainland, and will limit the time you have there, and what sites you can go to. You should be especially careful selecting a liveaboard in the Similans. Many boats shuttle huge groups of day divers out for day trips on the boat, and can get very crowded. If you choose the right boat, the diving in the Similans is unique with sheer granite rock formations. When I was there we saw great macro, and loads of manta rays. You can read more about my last Similan diving trip with photos and video here: My Mola: Taking a Dive in the Similan Islands

I've used StevenL's services personally and referred others who have always received good services.

I've been on the Oktavia twice with my family and would happily dive with them again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom