Thailand - Phuket vs. Samui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocolate

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I have about 2 days to spend in Tahiland in early May, which of Phuket (most likely Patong) and Samui is better? In terms of diving as well as cost-wise.

Also, are there any good dive shops that you would recommend?

Cheers.

savemoneydiving:
For diving Phuket area is better even in the off season .. hotels are also a bit cheaper in May ... depends how experienced a diver you are. Samui is fine for partying , but most diving is done around Koh Tao and that is mediocre ... If don't have many dives then either would be fine for you.

www.save-money-diving-thailand.com

What about the weather? I know that they are on different sides of Thailand (one one the west coast and the other on the east coast), would that make a difference?

Phuket's weather is hot at the moment and will stay that way until about June when it will slightly cool but will get the occasional downpour that normally lasts only 30-60 mins before the sun comes out again.

Samui is currently in its 'hot' season (April - Oct) its hot and dry and both locations can expect rain at any time of the year. The rainy season in Samui starts in September - October

The weather should be that much of a factor with your decision and having experienced both sides I would recommend phuket for all-around good diving and interesting people and places to see and visit.

diving in samui is limited to one or two ok sites, the rest are purely "training" sites. if you like diving at a small site with a dozen boats with o/w students the head to samui/tao. otherwise phuket is the place to go. diving prices are the same in both, average 1000 baht a tank. the boats in phuket are far superior to the ones in tao / samui which in the main are poorly converted fishing boats although the odd one is very nice. spent 5 months on tao (same dive sites a s samui) and been in phuket since sept so have done a lot of dives at both (inst). phuket all the way, plus you can do a day trip to the similans - lovely diving -truly world class

Thanks guys. I think it is pretty obvious as to where I shall go now.

Cheers.

Been to both islands numerous times ,and lived in Thailand for a few years.My pick would be Phuket for nice diving spots,top side activities and hotel choices!

Phuket is a Five star island, and more superior to Bali island in term of facilities and infurstracture, while maintaining it's natuaral beauty.

Upper (northern) part of phuket which goes to surin and leads to ranong is real paradise.

Phuket has 4 large hypermarket, Big C, Tesco lotus, Carrefour, ...and eye poping
central festival...Meanwhile Night life is huge

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom