Thank heavens for PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there are panic people and don't panic people.

I'm 43 and don't think I have ever paniced. Even when I was 12 and my brother and I were stuck in fast river currents, I was just looking for branches and rocks and stuff to get us to shore. I've been in car and motorcycle wrecks and still no panic even with a fractured femur.

I think there a some people that no matter the circumstances, they analyze the situation and work the problem. There are other people that no matter how much repetition and training they get, once the see the shark, it's time to light their hair on fire and CESA. And I don't think you'll ever know which is which until you see them in a panic situation.

mstroeck:
Sorry if this has already come up somewhere in this monster of a thread, but there's one thing that really get's me thinking about the training aspiring divers typically receive:

There's close to no repition of the basic truths and skills that every diver should know/master.

<SNIP>

Of the 12 people I did OW with, ONE read the entire book. Judging from a very informal survey among my diving buddies, very few people ever read all the material.

<SNIP>

Virtually nothing is hammered home as much as it should be in OW classes.

<SNIP>

I got my cert at a school here in Austria where people genuinely care about their students,

<SNIP>

Why in the world is it like that. All instructors have to do is say the few really important things over and over and over, that can be done while people are donning their gear, during breaks, when floating on the surface for some time... It's EASY to make most courses better

<SNIP>

Excuse me for being so blunt, but seeing as you did not get repetition and did not get the training you feel is necessary, and that you feel that doing it the correct way is easy, how can you say that your scool in Austria "genuinely care about their students"? It sounds, to me, like they were adhering to minimum standards, and that their expectation of "mastery" was somewhat along the lines of "just able to do it once".

In my opinion, there's nothing in the PADI standards which prevents me as an instructor from giving a good OW course and training divers exhaustively.

What may prevent good diver training is bad instructors, though. And one may blame the standards for allowing bad instructors, but I haven't seen anyone propose a really usefull way of "disallowing" bad instructors...

Because that is not done, after OW most people are simply scared to death of some things that are outside of the scope of their training:

* free-flowing regulators
* decompression obligations
* diving without a DM
* diving without a computer
* diving from a boat
* shooting to the surface in an uncontrolled manner, like many still do on their last certification dive...
* loosing their buddy
* the need to do a controlled ascent whil air-sharing
* getting eaten by sharks ;-)
* ... and many other things ...

When one of those things occurs and everything you heard about that was of the negative "hope that never happens" or "this normally doesn't happen" variety, panic is the natural reaction for most people.

So is the certification-system broken? In that respect, certainly. People are coming out of OW afraid of and underinformed about certain aspects for three reasons:

1) They weren't tought the right attitude.
2) They didn't get all the information they need.
3) They didn't get the opportunitiy to hone their skills enough.

I have the impression that more and more people are fundamentally afraid of diving, but continue that way in the false sense of security that arises from the industries "anyone can do it"-attitude.

Most of that is, in my opinion, a question of the instructor not doing his job as he should. The PADI standards could require more and the PADI training materials could be more in depth. But as you yourself observe, your fellow OW-students didn't for the most part even read the materials in their current form -- do you think that they would have listened to an instructor give longer lectures, read through a book twice as thick with more theory etc?

I always state up front, that I do not teach people the fast-track to their OW cert, but I teach them to dive. We go over the theory (I can assure you that they read the book...) until they know what they need to know. It takes more than the minimum number of pool-sessions, more than the minimum number of ow-sessions, includes a few "experience dives" with no skills, but where I will follow and supervise a buddy pair who otherwise are left to their own devices when planning and executing a dive using tables and depth-gagues and computers. I do all this well within the PADI system. I tell people up front that if they want a fast c-card, go the dive-shop down the road and do it over a weekend -- I won't do it that way.

It does help for me that diving is not my main profession, so my livelyhood does not depend on having a steady flow of students.

Idealistically I would love to be able to teach an OW-course, with the theory from the RD and DM book: basic deco-models, how to deal with emergencies etc. I would also like to include some "light deco procedures" in the course such that people -- as you say -- are not afraid of "deco", know that they should stay within the no-stop limits but also know how to deal with deco, should they enter into it. Realistically, though, very few new divers would be able to accomodate that much information in one bulk, and I do agree with the idea of splitting things up. But nothing prevents me from teaching OW students to hold a rock-solid deco stop -- we just call it a safety stop.

If I was to change one thing in the PADI system, it would be to have a level (somewhere) with the watermanskills and the dive theory from the DM course, but without the "liability" part of leading and supervising divers. People keep telling me that NAUI has such a course -- if I ever come around a NAUI instructor, I'll pick his brain carefully on that topic....

gehadoski:
Listen Guys

I will tell you why PADI is the best.

1. PADI has many projects the respects and protect the aquatic environment.
2. PADI has the largest number of certified divers in the world.
3. PADI has the most conservetive courses.
4. PADI has many social projects and activities to gather divers together.
5. PADI is taking care about the childern by Bubble makers
6. PADI has its registered diving centers.

I don't believe that any other organizations has all of these benifets. When I say that PADI is the best, I say this by reasons

when ever you mention any other organization you are talking about divers; But when you are mention PADI you are talking about profissionals in diving.

WITH THE RESPECT TO ALL OTHER ORGANIZATIONS. nO DISRESPECT TO ANY OTHER ORGANIZATION

Hmmm....I cannot speak for anyone else here, but in my mind, being the "best" implies having the highest quality. Not by any stretch of the word does "best" mean "biggest", "largest", "most", "many", "regsitered diving centers"...nor "cares" for children??? The kid's programs, although nice to expose kids to what lies beneath the surface of our seas, are aimed purely as a business plan for ongoing revenue for PADI and shops (which equate to more for PADI). "Caring" has nothing to do with this. Just attend one of the many PADI seminars that are aimed purely at growing PADI's wallet, by showing you how to drum up more business...not by "caring for children"....if they really want to "care for children", they'd set up a good day care at the various dive shops so I can leave my four kids w/them while I go diving!! :wink:
I am a PADI instructor and would agree that they have many good qualities, but to call them the best based on the reasons given....well, that's just not accurate, IMHO.
I can't recall anything that I would call the "best" that shares the qualities of being the "biggest, largest, having the most sales, etc."...as a matter of fact, most of the "bests" that I know are the smallest, highest priced, and take the most time....that is because to be the best requires that you skip on schemes and quicky BS and take the time to give a thorough, high quality course. And I'm not saying you can't do it w/the PADI system, I am saying that it's business plans do not promote taking time to teach people and do promote quicky BS.

dive safe!---b.

BCS:
being the "best" implies having the highest quality. Not by any stretch of the word does "best" mean "biggest", "largest", "most", "many", "regsitered diving centers"...
I can't recall anything that I would call the "best" that shares the qualities of being the "biggest, largest, having the most sales, etc."...

I couldnt help thinking while I read this that if this was applied to politics, that democracy would be under serious threat.

If PADI is not the "best" because it IS the "most popular" then the President is not the best man for the job, just the most popular.

Scary thought huh that the leader of the free world got his job because he was popular, not because he was the best man for the job.

BCS:
And I'm not saying you can't do it w/the PADI system, .

For a moment I thought you had wasted a lot of money on your training.

IMHO this thread has got WAY out of hand, and should be given a honorable discharge and laid to rest.

cancun mark:
I couldnt help thinking while I read this that if this was applied to politics, that democracy would be under serious threat.

If PADI is not the "best" because it IS the "most popular" then the President is not the best man for the job, just the most popular.

Scary thought huh that the leader of the free world got his job because he was popular, not because he was the best man for the job.

First off you've heard of the electoral college right? LOL

Second, I don't know about you but I didn't take a PADI class because they were the best. I didn't even know what they were. There were TWO dive shops in the phone book. One didn't answer the phone (according to the yellow page add they should have been open) and the other one did. I arranged a class. Now I realize that they were both PADI shops. One in Kokamo In and the other was in Logansport In. You don't really think the people of logansport In chose PADI do you?

I didn't know there were other agencies or any at all for that matter nor did I care.

In fact when I became an instructor I went with PADI because there weren't any other gaencies around. The only instructors here were. Anyway I didn't pick em. There just wasn't any one else here.

Kind of like when you need a plumber in the middle of the night or on a holiday and only one answers the phone.

It's dive shops that choose the agency. They go with the one who best aids them in making money...you know...lets them do short cheap classes so they cam beat out the shop down the street.

For a moment I thought you had wasted a lot of money on your training.

IMHO this thread has got WAY out of hand, and should be given a honorable discharge and laid to rest.[/QUOTE]

MikeFerrara:
Kind of like when you need a plumber in the middle of the night or on a holiday and only one answers the phone.

Well Mike, i know you don't like much of what PADI does but this is the point isn't. The plumber that answers the phone is gonna kick the snot out of the one who doesn't answer the phone.

PADI has answered a lot of phones. Shame on the ones who haven't!

Ps: you near Kokomo? I did a job years back around 88-89 at Grissom AFB. That place was fricken hot in the summer!

MikeFerrara:
I didn't know there were other agencies or any at all for that matter nor did I care.

Me neither. In fact, I had no idea there even was a PADI.

When I signed up for my OW class a co-worker asked me if I was taking the class with PADI. I said no ... I'm taking it with Loren (my instructor's name).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Lawman:
Without PADI and it's marketing/promotion there wouldn't
be any dive industry. It's the scuba Walmart. The Ford. The
Chevrolet. The Piper Cub. Without PADI there'd be nothing
but NAUI,SSI and their comical sidekicks, the DIR crew sitting
around sneering at each other.

Hooray for PADI!!

:)
i totally agree,good on you mate.peace :wink:

gedunk:
Well Mike, i know you don't like much of what PADI does but this is the point isn't. The plumber that answers the phone is gonna kick the snot out of the one who doesn't answer the phone.

PADI has answered a lot of phones. Shame on the ones who haven't!

Ps: you near Kokomo? I did a job years back around 88-89 at Grissom AFB. That place was fricken hot in the summer!

i'm about an hour from there. I'm not close to anything though.

In my opinion, there's nothing in the PADI standards which prevents me as an instructor from giving a good OW course and training divers exhaustively.

Certainly not, I was not specifically critisizing PADI procedures, I was critisizing the education most people get in their OW course, regardless of agency. Just my two cents, but I don't really want to get to deep into this discussion ;-))

Back
Top Bottom