Thank you XS Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be concerned with the idea of cleaning up the threads with a tap each year. If that were the problem, I'd have expected it to be fixed after the first cleaning.

Have you tried installing the valve without the o-ring to see that it has sufficient travel to seat the seal? Have you tried a different valve?

Hello Buoyant1,

We have read though this thread and understand your issue with the cylinder. We did find where you had emailed us for info and it was forwarded on to someone here for further discussion. However, the summer season is upon us now, we got busy, and it got pushed to the side and you were not given a reply. For that, we apologize as we normally do our best respond to every email we receive in a timely manner.

Please understand that this was our bad and not indicative of a "lack of customer service". As noted above, a simple phone call to us would have brought the issue back to our attention. We do not use an auto-attendant or a phone system where you push buttons to talk to a human. We answer the phone ourselves. Everyday and all the time. It is one of the ways we try to offer the best service possible. Call us and we talk with you.

Your email has been redirected to Mark here at XS. Please give him a call this week and he will discuss the issue of your cylinder with you. It does not matter to us where you bought it or when you bought it. You have a problem and we are here to help if we can.

We hope our reply appeases your feelings of neglect and lack of care for your inquiry.

I prefer to send e-mails, it is written communication and can be saved for future reference. The unfortunate answer is if the valve is good, machining the tank ( cutting the counterbore in front of the thread, which is what provides the O ring a smooth even surface to fill in under pressure will be required.

---------- Post added June 10th, 2013 at 08:04 PM ----------

Sorry that went to quick. Finding a shop that will machine on a high pressure tank will be difficult. Cutting it is not the issue, Liability is the problem.

Hello Buoyant1,

We have read though this thread and understand your issue with the cylinder. We did find where you had emailed us for info and it was forwarded on to someone here for further discussion. However, the summer season is upon us now, we got busy, and it got pushed to the side and you were not given a reply. For that, we apologize as we normally do our best respond to every email we receive in a timely manner.

Please understand that this was our bad and not indicative of a "lack of customer service". As noted above, a simple phone call to us would have brought the issue back to our attention. We do not use an auto-attendant or a phone system where you push buttons to talk to a human. We answer the phone ourselves. Everyday and all the time. It is one of the ways we try to offer the best service possible. Call us and we talk with you.

Your email has been redirected to Mark here at XS. Please give him a call this week and he will discuss the issue of your cylinder with you. It does not matter to us where you bought it or when you bought it. You have a problem and we are here to help if we can.

We hope our reply appeases your feelings of neglect and lack of care for your inquiry.

Thanks! I'll give him a shout later on this week..I appreciate the response...but as I said... the problem wasn't an emergency and I felt that an email to make initial contact was sufficient...a response telling me that you did receive my inquiry, and letting me know that it was the beginning of a busy season, etc. would have been good...

Thanks again!

Ok, updating this post...

I spoke with Mark at XS Scuba, and he gave me some potential solutions to my problem, (and suggested performing these on my next visual inspection, rather than tear apart my doubles)

SO I call this matter resolved for the moment!

I appreciate XS Scuba's help in this!

Edit: I also asked to have the title of the thread changed...They apologized, so I figured it was the least I could do under the circumstances.

Last edited:
Ok, just wanted to put a "final" up on this! Since Mark told me to wait until my next visual inspection, I waited, and just resolved this issue. As it turned out the "chamfer" on the cylinder wasn't cut deep enough to properly let the O-ring sit with a valve on it.
The offending Chamfer 2014-03-18 14.52.14.jpg the properly cut chamfer 2014-03-18 14.54.02.jpg

So I sent those pictures to him, and it WAS determined that it was a manufacturing mistake. After some "negotiation", the cylinder is being replaced for a nominal fee (due to it's age, mostly) And I should be receiving the cylinder today. I have drilled a hole in the offending cylinder at their request to take it out of service (which was a weird thing to do) and plan to do something "decorative" with it. Maybe some sort of lamp, or an end table in my family room...who knows...I'll post a picture of THAT if it happens! (or my wife will make be discard it, she has no sense of adventure with stuff like that)

So THANK YOU to Mark Gibello at XS Scuba for his help in this matter!

Ok, just wanted to put a "final" up on this! Since Mark told me to wait until my next visual inspection, I waited, and just resolved this issue. As it turned out the "chamfer" on the cylinder wasn't cut deep enough to properly let the O-ring sit with a valve on it.
The offending ChamferView attachment 183728 the properly cut chamfer View attachment 183727

So I sent those pictures to him, and it WAS determined that it was a manufacturing mistake. After some "negotiation", the cylinder is being replaced for a nominal fee (due to it's age, mostly) And I should be receiving the cylinder today. I have drilled a hole in the offending cylinder at their request to take it out of service (which was a weird thing to do) and plan to do something "decorative" with it. Maybe some sort of lamp, or an end table in my family room...who knows...I'll post a picture of THAT if it happens! (or my wife will make be discard it, she has no sense of adventure with stuff like that)

Damn. To get that hole, you COULD have fired a weapon at it when full as part of the ongoing dumbass "what happens" questions on SB. Missed opportunity.

Glad to hear that all is well and that you are diving again with a new cylinder. Thanks for the nice words and praise and letting everyone know we were able to reach a mutually acceptable solution to the neck issue. Happy diving to you!

The offending ChamferView attachment 183728 the properly cut chamfer View attachment 183727

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom