Thanks Tobin!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last weekend I had a chance to do 4 dives with my new DSS single tank rig (medium steel bp, hog harness, Torus 35). I love the setup, and figured I'd post here rather then email Tobin directly.

The shipping package is unbelievably small (my cat is currently enjoying it as a new bed). The harness took me awhile to rig properly, but wasn't particularly difficult. The reinforced slots are nice, and the fit and finish of the entire setup is very impressive. Compared to some other plates that seem to require some manual intervention with a dremel, the DSS plate looks like a piece of art.

The Torus wing vents easily and seemed to keep the air in just the right spot for me (to the point where I dove with a bit more drysuit squeeze then usual, because using the wing for it's purpose was easier then my prior BCD). I was quite happy with the length of the exhaust, and it sat neatly out of the way but was easy to grab to inflate or deflate. The rear dump is a little difficult to find with thick gloves on, so I may modify it, but I'll give it a chance. Probably the biggest adjustment was using it on the left side; my old BC had the butt dump on the right and I just naturally look there every time. I never felt like the wing was trapping air anywhere and honestly never really gave it a second thought... The inflater/mouthpiece seems "backwards" to me and I end up looping the hose under it, but I think this is a personal preference and could certainly be changed easily.

I struggle some to get the tank perfectly vertical (single HP120), and my first dive was fairly awkward as the tank was way too high and a bit crooked... Spending extra time on subsequent dives to verify the plate was straight after the cam bands were cinched down helps, but if anyone has any advice here I'd welcome it... The wobble-stopper-thing isn't quite big enough to really align the tank straight up and down. I'm sure I'll get better with practice, but I'm not neccessarily looking forward to setting up the tank on a rocking boat.

I still have some adjusting to do on the harness (started out too loose, then I think I went too far the other way), but I'm getting mixed opinions about whether or not I can trim the excess off before the settings are just right. Right now, I've got about 2 feet on each end of the waist strap extra (to the point that it's difficult to route the extra harness around my body without it flapping around). It's adjusted for my drysuit and thick undergarments, so I can't imagine needing much more slack then I already have. Is it safe to trim a bit off?

These were my first dives with a BPW (everyone I know who has one up here is in doubles) and I couldn't believe how much more comfortable the rig is underwater then my back inflate BC. I was able to drop a bunch of weight (at least 8 pounds) and keeping horizontal trim was much less difficult.

Rereading this post I realize I spent more time talking about problems then praising the setup, but I should emphasize how delighted I am with the setup. Any change this major takes some getting used to, and all my questions/quibbles are minor compared to how much better the rig as a whole feels underwater. I also want to thank Tobin again not just for having a great product, but for his patience in emailing back and forth sizing the rig, and for the amount of time he spends on boards like this talking with customers.

Last weekend I had a chance to do 4 dives with my new DSS single tank rig (medium steel bp, hog harness, Torus 35). I love the setup, and figured I'd post here rather then email Tobin directly.

The shipping package is unbelievably small (my cat is currently enjoying it as a new bed). The harness took me awhile to rig properly, but wasn't particularly difficult. The reinforced slots are nice, and the fit and finish of the entire setup is very impressive. Compared to some other plates that seem to require some manual intervention with a dremel, the DSS plate looks like a piece of art.

The Torus wing vents easily and seemed to keep the air in just the right spot for me (to the point where I dove with a bit more drysuit squeeze then usual, because using the wing for it's purpose was easier then my prior BCD). I was quite happy with the length of the exhaust, and it sat neatly out of the way but was easy to grab to inflate or deflate. The rear dump is a little difficult to find with thick gloves on, so I may modify it, but I'll give it a chance. Probably the biggest adjustment was using it on the left side; my old BC had the butt dump on the right and I just naturally look there every time. I never felt like the wing was trapping air anywhere and honestly never really gave it a second thought... The inflater/mouthpiece seems "backwards" to me and I end up looping the hose under it, but I think this is a personal preference and could certainly be changed easily.

I struggle some to get the tank perfectly vertical (single HP120), and my first dive was fairly awkward as the tank was way too high and a bit crooked... Spending extra time on subsequent dives to verify the plate was straight after the cam bands were cinched down helps, but if anyone has any advice here I'd welcome it... The wobble-stopper-thing isn't quite big enough to really align the tank straight up and down. I'm sure I'll get better with practice, but I'm not neccessarily looking forward to setting up the tank on a rocking boat.

I still have some adjusting to do on the harness (started out too loose, then I think I went too far the other way), but I'm getting mixed opinions about whether or not I can trim the excess off before the settings are just right. Right now, I've got about 2 feet on each end of the waist strap extra (to the point that it's difficult to route the extra harness around my body without it flapping around). It's adjusted for my drysuit and thick undergarments, so I can't imagine needing much more slack then I already have. Is it safe to trim a bit off?

These were my first dives with a BPW (everyone I know who has one up here is in doubles) and I couldn't believe how much more comfortable the rig is underwater then my back inflate BC. I was able to drop a bunch of weight (at least 8 pounds) and keeping horizontal trim was much less difficult.

Rereading this post I realize I spent more time talking about problems then praising the setup, but I should emphasize how delighted I am with the setup. Any change this major takes some getting used to, and all my questions/quibbles are minor compared to how much better the rig as a whole feels underwater. I also want to thank Tobin again not just for having a great product, but for his patience in emailing back and forth sizing the rig, and for the amount of time he spends on boards like this talking with customers.

Scott,

Thanks for the kind words.

A couple thoughts. You might want to add a piece of "split shot" to the OPV cord, at least for a few dives. Split shot, if you aren't a fisherman, is a type of lead sinker, think of a large lead BB almost cut in two. Just squezze it on the line near the knot.

This will keep the cord hanging down, and make it more predictable to find. Kinda like training wheels, after a few dives you can remove it. Muscle memory and the confidence that you can vent when you need to will make it unnecessary.

The wobble stopper is not intended to align the plate and tank. You have to observe the relative position as you tighten the cambands. When you close the bands it will cause the plate to be pulled around the tank a bit, and with practice you will find if you start with the tank slightly out of position closing the bands will pull it to the point you want.

Close one band, check, adjust, close the other bands, check, adjust. Not a big deal.

I'm not sure I follow you about the inflator. I'd suggest trying it for a few dives before changing anything, it's probably just different from what you are used to. The inflator we furnish is widely used on wings.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom