• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Thanksgiving in Cozumel

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by OSUcowboyinSPFD, Nov 20, 2008.

1. OSUcowboyinSPFD

OSUcowboyinSPFD Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Dear all,

My family has been going to fabulous Branson, Missouri for years to celebrate Thanksgiving. I don't think I can make it through to many more Branson trips. In 2009, I am contemplating hauling down the fam to Cozumel. There would be 7 adults and two (hopefully three by that time) children. My wife and I usually stay at Coz Palace, but I would imagine we would be more inclined to rent a condo or house. I would like to know what people think of this time frame for a family trip. If anyone has any special insight into house rental, chef service, etc. feel free to let me know. Also, let me know if there is any place on the island that normally does a Thanksgiving brunch or such thing. Since it is not a Mexican holiday, I understand we may have to find our own turkey, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight.

TIA

2. parrotheaddiver

parrotheaddiver Contributor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Book early....this timeslot fills up early...a lot of people make their annual pilgrimage down there at Thanksgiving....there are several resturants that serve traditional thanksgiving meals...there was a post I think from christi naming the restuarants i will have to look for it...

3. budaman

budaman Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Can't help with the turkey part, last time we went during Thanksgiving was in 1991 & we ended up having lobster for dinner.

As far as accomodations, we went this past May & stayed at the Residencias Reef condos in a 3br/3ba unit that was fantastic. It was unit 5100 and was in bldg 1 on the bottom level right on the beach. These condos are next to the Wyndam Reef club complex. We had a cook come in that fixed some awesome meals and was quite affordable....always more food than we could eat.

Another option, which was unavailable for our time period, is Casa Orleans or Casa Birdie. They are houses in the same area and very reasonably priced. If I remember correctly, you could arrange cook service there also.

Do a search, and several management company links will come up on those units where you can check availability and cost.

The only issue we had at Residencias, was with dock use by dive boats. They were going through some issues of what ops could use it and how much to charge. They got things sorted somewhat a couple of days before we went & Blue XT Sea was able to pick us up. Don't know what the final outcome of the policies that were to take effect in July were though.

Mike

MobileMe Gallery

4. Sue Sue

Sue Sue Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Perhaps look into El Cantil. Multi bedroom condo, kitchen, private bathrooms for each room, balconies with fantastic ocean view, walking distance to two major grocery stores as well. Also, the property is walking distance into town and has a dedicated pier for dive pick ups.

5. deborahdelamar

deborahdelamar Contributor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    You can check out the condos next door to Cozumel Palace -- Google El Cantil Cozumel and you should hit quite a few sites (owners who rent themselves and the management co.)-- they are up to 4BR but I don't know max occupancy. If you want to stay in that area of town, there are plenty of villas the the area (Corpus Christi & "sur" streets west of Ave. 30) to choose from.

Thanksgiving dinners are available at several restaurants by reservation only -- don't know about any brunches. La Cocay, French Quarter, Tony Rome's and others that aren't coming to mind at the moment...If you're asking because of football, you should check with Kelly's and some of the other sports bars.