• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

That endless Sargassum problem

Discussion in 'Marine Life and Ecosystems' started by chillyinCanada, Aug 20, 2019.

1. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

АлександрД and KathyV like this.
  2. Saniflush

Saniflush ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Will be in the area next weekend and am curious to see and talk to the local folks about it.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  3. HalcyonDaze

HalcyonDaze Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The main issue where it's washing up here in FL is dealing with the sargassum without impacting turtle hatching season. So far at least protecting nests and hatchlings have rightly taken priority over shoveling sargassum, but I have to wonder how something like the boat and trailer arrangement mentioned would avoid bycatch.

That said, where it piles up it's definitely nasty stuff. On seagrass monitoring events off Smathers Beach in Key West it collects between the riprap groins, and when I was last there in June the water leaking into my mask reeked of hydrogen sulfide.

4. chillyinCanada

Leaving it there keeps the hatchlings from being able to make it to the sea and floating beds of it at the shore line can cause them to die even if they've made it.

From what I've seen so far, the system that seems to works the best is the floating harvester. I don't know what it's really called.

5. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    We have a different Sargassum problem on the West Coast. Sargassum horneri first invaded our waters in 2004 (Catalina in 2006). I tried to get the California Dept. of Fish & Game to do something about it early on but they ignored it. Now it is found from at least Morro Bay in central California to Guadalupe Island off Baja. It has pretty much destroyed so many of my favorite dive sites as it out-competes our native giant kelp as well as other algae, and few species benefit from it. We tried getting a permit to remove it from marine protected areas but no go.

6. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

I wonder if it's beneficial in cooling the ocean. Saw a map yesterday that the hottest part of the ocean, in the Atlantic anyway, is also loaded with Sargassum.

7. chillyinCanada

That's an interesting question!

8. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

It's a good trap for CO2, isn't it?

9. gopbroek

gopbroek Solo Diver

It may cause a failure of the Meso American reef. It's not just on the surface

10. tarponchik

tarponchik Loggerhead Turtle

So it should be collected and...turned into a biofuel? Or composted?