That friday "Bali diving recommendation" thread.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,
sorry for the same old thread, it's about Bali diving again, I'll try to add a novel twist to it.

Here's the context :Going 7 days in Bali mid august (I know, peak season, dive sites packed with divers)
With non diving wife and daughter who like comfy balinese bungalows and bumming around the swimming pool, occasionally a dip at the beach with or w/o snorkeling.
Already (almost) most booked alll my accoms will be 4 nights in Pemuteran and 3 night in Tulamben/Amed area.
Me, very keen photographer, looking for special sights.

Here's the clue :
I am expecting to dive Menjangan, Secret bay and PJ in the north, The Liberty and Seraya in the East.
Here's the twist : I am looking for each location (Pemuteran and Tulamben/Amed area) for private/one to one dive guide services, ie. a local diver who's intimate with the dive sites, the currents and the critters. Experience of guiding photographers would be nice, photography advice even better.
Would you recommend an operation that arranges private guiding, or an independent private guide that would match my needs for 4 to 6 days... Or two different operations.

I have already contacted some operators with little results :
- An operator sent me a ridiculous price for their services (I mean the equivalent of a mid range live aboard! :shocked2:...but without the lodging and the food :eyebrow: ).
- The famous Wally Siagian would have always been my first choice hands down :) but he doesn't reply to his mail (is he still operating? )

I am not adverse to Bali operators/guides contacting me directly on my PM. :D

Another boring question : I am hesitating with resorts in Tulamben/Amed. Would Scuba Seraya be good for a party like mine (see description above of the two non diving girls)? Otherwise any other suggestions (no hardcore diver resort pls)? :idk:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
What's a girk :confused:
Oops, typo.. sorry... :blush: "two non diving girls" I meant.

You can dive the Liberty with Jukung Dive in Amed. They offer two dives for 50 Euros, currently running a special 20% discount, which would make it 40 Euros for two wreck dives including resort transfer and lunch afterward, etc. I have gone out when them a couple of times and enjoyed diving with them. Euro Dive (also in Amed) is also a good choice and is around the same price and includes hotel transfers.

Jukung offers "one on one" Divemasters for an additional 8 Euros (not sure about Euro), so you could do two wrecks on the Liberty for 48 Euros for a private DM, as you requested.

I recommend you stay in Amed and dive in Tulamben. For Amed, my two favorite resorts are Arya Amed (the villas) and Blue Moon Villas.

Hi Luko,

I have just done a similar trip with 2 friends myself.
You will not be disappointed with the diving !
The photo opportunities around PJ, SB, Seraya and Tulamben are almost limitless. Make sure you pack some extra batteries some of the dives were over 90 minutes long with practically non stop critter action.
Because we were 3 divers and it was low season we got a great deal.
For 1 diver in high season I would think they would charge more.
Any way we used Bali Dive Tours and it was very good.
I contacted them through their ad on the sub forum "trips and market place indonesia" above. If you PM me I have their contact info.

Hi Luko,

I dove Liberty yesterday with a local guide who was really amazing. He has been a DM in the area for over 17 years. He showed me things I would not have found on my own, including a beautiful "electric" clam on the Liberty wreck.

Of the 120 fun dives for me in the in past year, yesterdays two dives on Liberty were among the best. PM for details of local shop and DM name, if you like.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I didn't reply so far because I was trying to book my accoms. All I can advise is that if anyone is going mid august near Tulamben or amed, you better rush to get availabilities.. :(

Blue Moon villas couldn't accomodate us for all our nights, so the time I asked Scuba Seraya whether they still had their rooms, they were full... I am now booked at Tauch Terminal. (I wonder whether it's the best place for my party, but at least we the have rooms... :idk: )

Meanwhile, I also contacted Jeff Mullins, the local UW photographer/photo instructor. That was probably the best thing I did so far, unfortunately he was booked at the time I will be there though he will provide me a private dive guide specialized in guiding UW photographers at a soft price. Very nice person.

Liberty Dive Resort would be great.
Wayan is very accommodating. We (2) had our own guide when we dived there.
They have a pool and are a short walk to the beach plus you don't have to cross the road to get to the beach.
One evening Wayan arranged for a local group of young dancers to entertain at dinner hour.
I met Jeff Mullins while staying there. Nice guy and nice wife indeed.

Back
Top Bottom