The 20 Skills Broken Down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I definitely agree about being consistent with how the instructor is teaching it. If I see that an instructor is demonstrating a skill differently, I'll adjust my demonstration to be the same as his/hers.

Also, don't forget that DM's can teach refreshers which may or may not involve re-teaching skills to students without an instructor present. In refreshers I am free to teach the skill any way I want and I try and use these classes to test out new ways of teaching a skill (ex. is one way of demonstrating more confusing for students?) since all the students are certified already.

As far as closing the tank valve 1/4 or a 1/2 turn. This prevents the valve from locking up in the open position. I've been told that this is not required with new valves, but I do it out of habit.

I've also been told:

It prevents damage to the valve seat. (very, very old advice)

It keeps a DM or buddy from turning your air off during a check. If it's all the way on they may think it's off and turn it all the way on, turning it off by mistake.

Anyone else heard other reasons for the "1/4 turn back from full"?

Sounds like that is an issue of communication with your DM. You need to talk with your DM before the class to let them know how you brief it and how you want it demonstrated. If they still don't do it your way, then don't have them as your DM.

And what's the problem if they demo in a different manner as long as the demo is consistent with the "performance criteria"? You were saying the DM should not "get hung up on the details of the skill". You were the one getting bothered by this thread because there is not "one right way of doing a skill". Now you demand it be done one particular way?

Working in a training department years ago I heard someone say "Yes there may be more than ONE RIGHT WAY to do this, but there is only ONE WAY we do it here."

Sounds semantic, but it underscores an important point.

Consistency is critical for students, especially OW students. In a perfect world they will perform the skill exactly as you demo it. If it's not demo'ed the way the instructor wants the student to do it, how can the student be expected to do it that way? If a DM does it one way and the instructor does it differently, how does the student decide which is right? You may say "they're both right, so it doesn't matter" but that's not true. The student doesn't have the requisite knowledge or skills to decide on their own and start mixing and matching.

The way we handle this issue - thereby making it a non-issue - at the shop where I DM is that every instructor and every DM demo's and evaluates the key skills in exactly the same fashion. Every student, every class, every time.

Consistency is critical for students, especially OW students. In a perfect world they will perform the skill exactly as you demo it. If it's not demo'ed the way the instructor wants the student to do it, how can the student be expected to do it that way? If a DM does it one way and the instructor does it differently, how does the student decide which is right? You may say "they're both right, so it doesn't matter" but that's not true. The student doesn't have the requisite knowledge or skills to decide on their own and start mixing and matching.

The way we handle this issue - thereby making it a non-issue - at the shop where I DM is that every instructor and every DM demo's and evaluates the key skills in exactly the same fashion. Every student, every class, every time.

I agree completely and that's how we do it as well. I was just struck by how he entered this thread jumping on the OP for focusing on one particular method that he was taught rather than the performance criteria, then demanding his DMs focus on one particular method that he teaches.

Working in a training department years ago I heard someone say "Yes there may be more than ONE RIGHT WAY to do this, but there is only ONE WAY we do it here."

Sounds semantic, but it underscores an important point.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. - Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance
The problem lies in the identification of wise and foolish consistency. Much of what I've seen in scuba over the years falls, unfortunately, into the latter category.

It's amazing...we are all instructors from different disciplines...NASE, PADI, NAUI, SSI etc...but or techniques are the same with minor differences

OK we're only up to number 11 of the skills breakdown! Still 9 more to go.... Lishen are you still posting them? Or is someone else going to take up the reins?

... it's just a starting point so feel free to add comments!
I think this is a great idea, and wish I had seen something like this as a budding DM - not an attempt to define the ONLY way to demo the skills, rather to allow folks to share their own learned approaches, which may vary. When I did the IE, I did it with 6 other candidates who had all been through the same OWSI portion of the IDC, and the examiner commented on the fact that we all emphasized certain specific points in our particular demos - reflecting the particular shop, and OWSI, we all came from.
1. Equipment Assembly
  • Check tank o-ring
  • With tank facing away, open tank valve slightly using hang to deflect slow to your face so you can smell the air
We also demostrate a check of the hydro date and VIP, as part of a general tank inspection, before testing the air.

Last edited:
2. Predive Safety Check

B for BC
  • Check buckles
  • Check inflator is connected
  • Check that it inflates and deflates
We demonstrate inflating both with the LPI valve, and orally, and deflating both with the button, and the pull dump (for those BCDs with a shoulder pull dump)
W for Weights
  • Check right hand release
  • Check that the end is not tucked in
  • Check weights are positioned evenly
  • Check weights are clear of any obstruction (hoses)
In the demo, we have each diver confirm the weight that he/she thinks they have on, and that this is the weight they usually dive with in this configuration.
5. Five Point Descent
- (SORTeD)

• Signal to descend
  • Orient yourselves to something
  • Switch to Regulator
  • Time (check watch, computer, start timer)
  • Equalize – Put LH on LPI, move RH to nose, to be prepared to start equalizing immediately as needed
  • Descend: Start letting air out, quickly at first until at eye level, then exhale to descend
We emphasize the SORTED mnemonic as a way to remember the sequence.
7. Fin Pivot
  • Make yourself …
  • Spread legs for balance;
And, emphasize that the legs are not only spread but relatively straight
8. 5 Point Ascent
  • Signal to ascend, buddy acknowledges
  • Check Time
  • Orient, to buddy, to ascent line (if present), and check above before starting ascent
  • Right hand over head
  • Left hand on deflator, ready to deflate if necessary
  • Start ascending by inhaling or a gentle kick
  • Control ascent by letting air out of BC
  • Ascend slowly while looking at buddy and above
  • Inflate when you reach the surface
We emphasize the ‘STORA’ mnemonic
11. Hovering
  • Adjust for neutral buoyancy (using fin pivot)
  • When neutral, push off gently 2-3 feet
  • …
  • For whatever reason, we demonstrate NOT pushing off the bottom, but to adjust for neutral buoyancy, then ‘hyper’ inhale – take in a deeper than normal breath to ascend slightly - then breath normally to maintain the hover.

Last edited:
Good work on the descriptions. I wish I would have found it before my circuit. Regardless, it is a good set of descriptions. Are you going to publish the other nine?

My shop uses "a single, right way" as the primary method. Other methods (alternate) are shown if a student has a problem with the method commonly taught (primary).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom