The 20 Skills Broken Down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, horse collars are not required. You dive like you train and mucking about on the bottom in the pool produces divers who muck about on the bottom in openwater ... that's a fact. But that's not the point.

It is also besides the point as to something being an "accepted technique." I did not auytomatically fail for those "accepted techniques" I just indicated that there are better ways to do them.

But, frankly, those divers looked like crap in the water. I'm not trying to prove anything ... I don't need to, but you went off on me with your covering the ear crap, you clearly don't have any interest in learning, you just want everyone to oh and ah at your video, but it does not display the skill level that I'd expect of an entry level diver.

Good try, excellent idea, find some better divers as subjects.

Thass,

I love your commitment.

You need to study learning psychology in addition to other matters, but if my driving Instructor took me for car lessons in a big wide parking lot, does that mean I will always drive around in a parking lot and make the same mistakes, of course not!!!!

Initial skills training isn't about perfection, or how it should be, or my way or your way, it's about the basics, and this video in addition to the methodology is about showing the basics.

Many professionals are given free ground in their learning period to find themselves and develop, you don't seem to find that acceptable.

I'm sure the best champions crashed once or twice in their training.

Have you thought about retiring?

Besos,
Andy

PS: One last word, don't block their ears, they're they're for a reason, particularly on the surface!!!!

AND, you misspelled preparation in the title sequence, automatic failure. :)

I need a mnemonic to remember all the mnemonics.

Thass,

I love your commitment.

You need to study learning psychology in addition to other matters, but if my driving Instructor took me for car lessons in a big wide parking lot, does that mean I will always drive around in a parking lot and make the same mistakes, of course not!!!!

Initial skills training isn't about perfection, or how it should be, or my way or your way, it's about the basics, and this video in addition to the methodology is about showing the basics.

Many professionals are given free ground in their learning period to find themselves and develop, you don't seem to find that acceptable.

I'm sure the best champions crashed once or twice in their training.

Have you thought about retiring?

Besos,
Andy

PS: One last word, don't block their ears, they're they're for a reason, particularly on the surface!!!!
Have you thought about training divers with adequate skills? Those two did not present as entry-level divers and were clearly not ready for DM skills, they crashed and burned big time.

It's not too late, you still could learn to teach before you retire.

No competent diver, looking at those videos could possibly think that they performed well. It's the grand tour of what not to do and how not to do it. Even after you ignore the bottom crawling behaviors. And who in their right mind would dive an auxiliary and and an AIR-II?

Remember what you said, it had nothing to do with practice or learing period:
I put a skills circuit together on video for my DM's and IDC candidates in training to get a preview before we jumped in water.

The MO wasn't so much to show them how to do the skill as there's a lot of variations, but how to demonstrate a skill, emphasis on exaggerated movement and drawing attention to the attributes of the skill.

Here's a link on You Tube Skills circuit, there's 5 parts, so you can see the others to the right on the related videos.
I hate to think that's what you present your DMs and IDC candidates as exemplars of demonstration quality skills.

Last edited:
No, horse collars are not required. You dive like you train and mucking about on the bottom in the pool produces divers who muck about on the bottom in openwater ... that's a fact. But that's not the point.

It is also besides the point as to something being an "accepted technique." I did not auytomatically fail for those "accepted techniques" I just indicated that there are better ways to do them.

But, frankly, those divers looked like crap in the water. I'm not trying to prove anything ... I don't need to, but you went off on me with your covering the ear crap, you clearly don't have any interest in learning, you just want everyone to oh and ah at your video, but it does not display the skill level that I'd expect of an entry level diver.

Good try, excellent idea, find some better divers as subjects.

I liked the idea behind the videos, somethings were done a bit differently but that is ok... every time that I get a chance to review something like this I get new ideas... thanks for sharing, I appreciate it for sure!

Would like to get the opinion of others both students and instructors about preparation for the basic skills. I failed badly on about 4 of them, but I knew it was going to happen before I got in the water, I felt ill prepared. Being a student of FAUI over 22 years ago, (never had PADI O/W) most of these skills are foreign to me until I started my course earlier this month and witnessed a few open water classes and watched several demos.

Its easy to watch videos and read manuals and watch demos, but practice makes perfect, I kinda felt I was 'thrown into the fire' today, as I performed some of these skills for the first time ever. Performing was OK, but performing them in a demonstration manner and not really knowing them I was doomed to fail on some of them.

My question is what practice or teaching others had before leading up to the basic skills exam. I'm not trying to pass blame on anyone except myself, I would have learned but felt the opportunity to 'really learn' them was never presented to me.

Well, I'm surprised you went directly to the 20 Skills Evaluation.

We conduct a 20 Skills Workshop for our Candidates. This is a 2 session pool workshop. In the first session, an Instructor goes through each of the 20 skills, slowly and deliberately, demonstrating and briefing the skills. The Candidates then have 1 week to practice and rehearse on their own. The next session, which is the longer one, each Candidate demonstrates the skill and is critiqued by an Instructor. The Candidate will then demonstrate again for more feedback. After this second session, the Candidates again have 1 week to practice and rehearse on their own before we conduct the 20 Skills Evaluation.

My suggestion is to ask an Instructor to help you with the skills. Divemaster is a developmental program and we don't expect Candidates to just be ready for the Evaluation. Part of the program is teaching them how to demonstrate the skills. Once you have a good session like this, practice practice practice!!!

Remember this: It's not enough just being able to do the skills. You need to be able to demonstrate them to new divers who have only seen an Instructor do them. The reason for this is because an Instructor may hand off a problem student to you. You need to identify the missing Critical Attributes and work with the student until they overcome the difficulty.

Good luck!! :cheers:

Which skills?

Buddy breathing while swimming, Controlled Emergency Ascent, replacing weights on bottom, and Fin Pivot. Some of these were failed for a very inane reasons, I wont' go into, but maybe later.
uggg!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom