The adventure begins today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You folks have a great time and begin deciding which investments you will sacrifice to fuel the addiction.

A training site for training often is not a prime destination. You will be on sensory overload anyhow. Just have fun strutting your stuff and experiencing neutral buoyancy in open water. Instructors often choose off the beaten path certification sites to avoid distractions and so they have novices in a location they know well in case the need to deal with an issue.

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the positive comments so far.

:D

We just got back from class, and I'm glad we reviewed the textbooks ahead of time. It felt like more of a review than trying to "drink through a fire hose."

The hardest part for me was selecting a proper fitting mask. I had to really hunt around to find one that fit properly. The other equipment was pretty easy to secure.

We even got all of our rental stuff done for our confined water dives tomorrow and our OW dives at the Blue Lagoon in Huntsville next weekend.

We're now prepping our masks, rinsing the snorkel, etc. before bed. Back in class at 0800 tomorrow.

:coffee:

Good morning, all!
Well, we successfully completed our ow certification this last weekend. We did our open water dives at the Blue Lagoon, and had a blast.

This reminds me of when I finished my AFF training in skydiving years ago. Yes, I was no longer a skydiving student, and could essentially jump with whomever I wanted without a jumpmaster, but that didn't mean I necessarily should just go off and start doing my own thing.

I feel this way now after getting our c-cards. I realize just how much I don't know, and how much I have yet to learn. Does this mean I'm uncomfortable being in the water? No! I love being in the water, and feel reasonably comfortable with the skills I was taught. I know I (when I write "I," I'm referring to my wife and I as a buddy team) should dive with experienced divers to improve my skills and become a better diver. Mentoring is a big deal where I work, and I definitely see its value. Now all I need to do is build a network of mentors who are willing to dive with newbies so we can learn more and refine our skills.

My instructor does about a class a month, and I asked him about accompanying the class to the same area during their open water dives. My goal here is to just hang out with the same instructor team, and while not actually interacting with his class, just dive in the same area, practicing our own skills. Not only did he say that was fine, but actually encoured us to do this anytime he was out there. "Come on out with us any time we dive. I encourage all of my former students to do this."

The one skill I personally had the most anxiety about was the free flow regulator drill. While hearing about it, this sounded like it was going to be a tough skill to pass, but after all was said and done, it wasn't that hard. Most of the skills were actually pretty fun to do, and I had a great time doing them.

Our instructor then did an optional peak performance buoyancy class for us, and all of us took that class as well. I feel that those two extra dives really helped with my buoyancy control, although I still have a lot of work to do in maintaining optimal buoyancy. These dives were much more fun in that there was less stress in trying to pass all the required skills for our OW. Maybe this is what finally made something "click" during our fin pivots. All of the sudden, something just went off in my head and it was like "Hey, I get it now!"

We hope to do as many dives as possible before our cruise in December, where we plan to dive in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We have much work to do, and lots of practice, but this kind of practice can also be fun. It's one of the reasons we decided to learn scuba, right?

Have a great day, y'all!

Good morning, all!
Well, we successfully completed our ow certification this last weekend. We did our open water dives at the Blue Lagoon, and had a blast.

Congratulations!

It's been just over 11 years since I did my ow cert dives at Blue Lagoon. My how time flies! Enjoy the adventure, there is much more to come!

Sounds like y'all are gonna be great divers. Congratulations. I really like your attitude :thumb:

Sounds like y'all are gonna be great divers. Congratulations. I really like your attitude :thumb:

Thank you, sir!

While doing our second PPB dive, our divemasters had us circling just above the benches on the platform, trying to stay about 2 - 3 feet above it, as if we were swimming above a reef. He would then point to one of us and have us swim between the bench and the platform ("NOT under the platform, guys, you're not ready for that.").

So, here we were, circling around, seeing some swim under the bench and I wondered if this is what it would be like when we go to Grand Cayman or Cozumel....seeing people all around me, swimming this way and that. About this time, what popped into my mind? A Jimmy Buffett song. I had fins to the left, fins to the right..... I just had to smile at the thought.

:dork2:

We can't wait until next month when we can go again. My wife and I have already started planning what we want to do on each dive (hover practice, staying together as we swim about the platform, etc.).

Have a great day, y'all!

Congratulations. You are now officially addicted. My wife and I always seem to end our dive trips with a conversation about where do we go next. We actually started this addiction as a way to kind of force ourselves to go to places where we could completely disconnect from work and everything related to it. We could not have found anything we enjoy more and that accomplishes that goal. I just tell my boss that if I take my computer or blackberry on the trip I will have it with me every minute of the trip and since they have not supplied a case good to 80 feet for a notebook, it seems to work better to leave it at home.

Cayman is not like that, especially if you like to shore dive and do your own thing. For the most part it's always been peaceful and calm and mostly just our dive group of four or six divers. You'll love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom