The All Inclusive SCUBA Tattoo Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just had the 14th piece of my leg sleeve done this evening....a flying gurnard from an image I took last month. It was a three hour sit and it was well worth it. It is on the back of my leg which can be a tender area to work on.
I will be diving in the morning and I'll imagine it will "talk" to me a bit lol.

Flying Gurnard Tattoo 003.jpg

Blue Heron Bridge Flying Gurnard.jpg

I got this done last year in Maui. Goes from my knee almost to my ankle. IMG00682.jpg
Looking to get a Manta Ray done, but want a "realistic" and all I've seen have been either tribal, cartoonish or just a flat view from above, and do not loook right. Its a hard one to recreate and make look real.

I recently was lucky enough to have some traditional work done in Polynesia, the birthplace of tatu. Tatu there is not a bit of art but your story, your mana, your family. Each line and pattern means something. I have a lot of other tatts - from bamboo in Cambodia to good old gun here at home but i really feel my tatu is different to the others. I also have a giant octopus covering the entire bottom cheek of my..bottom..(cover up job)...and an iguana that i bought outside a thai seedy nightclub whilst on a scuba trip - does that count as scuba related?

Pictures speak louder than words. Post a pic of your Tatu!!! Would love to see what it looks like. Scuba related or not! Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

A few minutes after being finished. The traditional tools are made from boars teeth. The dolphin is intelligence, the flower is the earth, the patterns inside the dolphin all mean something (my sons, music, travel, peace) the long patterned bits around the dolphin and flower are two different ''stories'' the zigzaggy looking lines are my family and the curl sorta shapes are manta ray wings as the manta ray is the spirit of safe travels and oceans.The ''hook'' patterns are waves, above the flower is a bird that is standing up, which apparently represents an ancient femme is going to leave this earth soon and will be a guide. I got back wondering what this ancient femme stuff was about and my 92 year old gran went into hospital the next day. 2013-01-19 03.46.13.jpg

Amazing tattoo! Wow!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thank you - I will post some pics of my other tatts but as I said, I consider that one different, its tatu the others are tattoo. The whole experience was really quite interesting..i sat and talked to the artist who asked me a lot of questions about my life, family etc for a couple of hours before he asked me to turn around and picked up a pen and started drawing it. To the tattoo purists who argue about tribal or indian work being culturally inappropriate on non islanders or indians dont panic, the flower is not a Tiare flower, only polynesians are allowed to have the Tiare, mine is a frangipani. I was really happy to be tapped on the shoulder in a store by a tahitiian couple here at home who recognised the work and ''read'' the story. FWIW mine is tuomoto archipeligo style as most of the archipeligos have slightly different symbols.
I was a bit worried about the pain factor but pleasantly suprised, bamboo work hurts a lot more...but then so does 7 hours of gun work on your ribcage 80s style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom