The Annapolis in the News (Vancouver, BC)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunkmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Annapolis project made the news again today - mostly in response to some local opposition.

CTV News Story (there is some text and a video clip)

I am very much in favour of the sinking, as I imagine most, if not all divers, and people interested in habitat/environmental improvement. In fact, i'm one of the Volunteers in the news segment.

For anyone interested, here are the websites for both sides:

Artifical Reef Society of BC

Save Halkett Bay

Please keep in mind that their people/lawyers do read the boards.

As a result, I am not going to put personal views on the content of their site - I do not want to be accused of anything they consider inflammatory, or inadvertantly give them any ammunition for their attempt to halt the sinking.

This to me sounds like the same elitist ulterior motives that were behind Eagle Ridge Bluffs, Kelvin Grove, and even that guy on Beach Avenue that poisoned a tree because it was blocking his view of English Bay from his ridiculously expensive condo.

Perhaps those residents need to see some pictures of the Cape Breton or Saskatchewan where the ship is barely visible where the marine life has completely overgrown the wreck. This is simply a case of NIMBY and it has cropped up at just about every artificial reek sinking.
Is there any dialog between divers and residents or are they just making threats?

I wonder if any of the residents have actually spoken to anyone from the ARSBC to ask them directly about their concerns?

Suggesting that the sinking of the ship will "hurt sea life" is ludicrous and is entirely the opposite point of creating an artificial reef.

It astounds me when people choose to ignore facts and science when trying to mount an opposition to something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom