The Assimilation Continues - Part 7c (DIR/F Class) Day 2/3 – dry drills, in water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This is a long post (I tried SeaJay..really, I tried!) as I drop 2 days into one post. In this third of four installments, I want to share a few of the core features of the DIR/F class – the ground exercises, the drills and the video review.

DAY 2

Many think DIR/F is about trying to churn out perfect little bent-knee divers who’ll continue to fund the Halcyon / GUE / EE empire through continuous equipment purchases. JJ’s capitalistic aspirations aside, I don’t see that at all.

Team Diving
What attracted me to the DIR/F class was the Fundy’s book, and what kept me interested in the Fundy’s book past the introduction was the team diving concept. Buddy diving isn’t new to me – but team diving sure is. Remember my number one reason for taking the class was to develop a better dive planning process. The team diving concept (MHK drilled this concept into us throughout the land drills and throughout the in-water) as new as it was to me just makes sense. You’ve read my two posts about my most recent flubbed dives – both of those dives were the result of team failure. One was top side (Capt’n missed the mark, didn’t set the hook, etc, etc.) and the other was in water (clowning around at depth, one diver aborted, killed the dive for the rest of us). I’m confident other agencies teach team diving (right?) but I've never been exposed to it - not like this. I now have the focus to spot team break down, and the presence of mind to assure that I am a better team member.

All of the skills (all y’all who’ve been through DIR/F, recite along with me at home…) are built upon a progression (building blocks) that start with enforcing a solid foundation, and then build upon that. But it all starts with team diving. If you have the greatest buoyancy in the world, but your team skills stink, you’re a liability. If you have vegan-esque trim and can back-kick like a mo-fo, but you’re on a bad team, you’re now at risk. Nothing else matters if you can’t get your head around team diving – being a part of, and recognizing breakdown of the team.

Dry Drills
The Avalon dive park is this crescent parking lot. The divers roll in, lay out tarps and claim their space. Some space is preferred over others. If you get there early and plan it right, you’re in the shade. If you snooze, you’re rigging up by the plants – where the locals relieve their dogs….not good. So its about 6:00 AM on Saturday – I can’t sleep I’m so fired up. Terry wakes up early (PS: Zig and I are bunking with MHK and Terry) so we roll out at about 6:30-ish to go tarp out a few prime spots before the shore boats start pouring in. So we’re a little bleary, we walk over to the parking lot, and as we roll up to our spot…there she is. The girl of Terry’s dreams (not)…all two-fitty of her, red 1 piece suit completely bent over (and completely oblivious to us) and trying to squeeze her ample self into her 7mil. After immediately waking up, we lay out the tarps and head back to get the rest of the crew. Nothing beats a moon over Avalon to wake a tired body right up.

We get there, and begin the kicks. All y’all DIR/F alums know this part. Well its Saturday, so there are a zillion classes going on…and we’re the only people in civys rolling around on the ground. We’re the only group practicing. The closest thing to practice I saw while there was a group of about 15 dive students, all shoulder to shoulder. And on command from their Instructor (a member of the two-fitty club himself) they all dropped their weight belts to the asphalt in a cacophonous clank. Scared the crap out of me….

So we’re doing the kicks. Ok. Next the drills with the BP (no wing) and the reg zip tied to the back (reg rigged right...that's everyone!) Basic 5….you alums remember it. Move to land S drills – conduct, review, do again. Then moved to exposure protection. Good stuff here - design, development, what to look for, what to run from. All intentionally brand neutral – features, not brands and not marketing make the gear what it is. Full range of motion, suit fits OK. A little big (I’ve lost weight, plus it just came in bigger than I hoped for.) I really enjoyed this part. It was the last part of the class I’d really enjoy. :D With full exposure suits now on, we size up the BP's. Mine is a little loose.... I though it was cool. So we tighten it up a bit. Everything else was fine - D-rings, crotch strap, buckle, etc. Thanks to all who helped me fit it up.

In Water Drills
Terry goes in and lays down a course. We break off into teams, discuss the plans and hit the water. Immediately the teams break down. Didn’t we just talk about all this 5 minutes ago? MHK offers a new signal (MHKism #3 - signal for WTF is that…? I think you can figure this one out), thumbs the dive, we hit topside. He gives it to us, as he asks intensely insensitive, probing questions. Questions such as “what were you guys thinking?”, “why did you do that…?” and the ever popular "you getting coffee while your team mate is in trouble there, chief?"

There’s no berating here – simply moderating our own team ineptitude. We head down, and we get it more together.

Note to readers. I'm not commenting on the team member's skills – when I’m skill bashing, its all me.

We fumble through some stuff, and I learn that my specific brand of trim has an interesting name (MHKism #4…”Yo Kenny, your trim is like you’re *^$#*$ing the dog…”) “Bingo boffing” as one member of the class put it in our soon to come video humiliation. Glad to be of service. Thank you for playing. Tell your friends, I'm here all week. Have you tried the Veal?

Video Review
So its time for the dreaded video review. This part of the class involves both hiding and coming clean. Think about this: If you’re all essentially DIR, you all essentially look the same underwater. Note to future DIR/F students: Leave the bright suits and GREEN WEIGHTBELTS at home. Blend. You can’t run, but you may be able to hide. Unless you have Bingo trim…then you can pick me out in every frame. Sux to be me.

This part of the class was painful, but very, very good. I didn’t take the class thinking I was all that, so I wasn’t as disappointed as I’m sure many are when they watch the video. Terry will be parked in the four-flats zone next time we dive… :) We all laugh it up, have a good dinner and flop. I stay up for another hour, sitting on the beg with my wetnotes and reg around my neck (hmmm…maybe we are geeks) working on the drills, and memorizing the basic 5 so I don’t force MHK into a half-a dozen Mod S drills when he’s expecting a simple Reg Removal…. I R DUM

DAY 3
Fast forward to Last day – no land drills. He hit the water first thing. And we roll through basically the same stuff (the 5 kicks & CG drill) except this time, the hazing begins. The team is much more together on day 3…diving in something resembling a formation. Then the task loading death-from-above begins. My team leader is way too far in front of me…so Buzzard MHK descends and calls OOA to me and points to the roving team leader. So now I need to high-tail it to the guy, I call OOA (6 breaths later…!) and in the middle of that convulsive fit, I’m commanded to give up the mask… while team member three is now OOA as well…. You get the idea. Its about keeping composure and control (i.e.: buoyancy/depth and trim) while managing emergencies. The key here is to pile it on until you break – then re-group, review, and go again.

Next we’re cruising around the course, practicing our kicks and trying to get a grip with trim (MHKism #5 “hey Kenny, you gonna marry that dog soon…?”) By now I’m in a two man team (memo to self: Bring smaller cylinder next time…those with the greatest gas supply are the most likely victims of death-from-above…as all the other divers have left the pool and its just me and bachelor number 2. Friggen HP100) so MHK sneaks up and calls mask removal on my team member. No worries, I head over to deploy my spare mask for the guy. I’m IN MY POCKET when he calls OOA on me… HUH? I go over to my blind partner and “tug-tug-rip” and grab his reg. I deploy my spare mask for the guy (thinking I’m all that) and immediately MHK takes it…. WTF, so he’s still blind, and MHK thumbs the dive….great. Now Bingo here needs to lead a blind buddy on a gas share controlled ascent with rolling stops at 30, 20 and 10.

You know what - it all came together. I was amazed. In the video review, over pizza (note: Avalon is the only place where they put CARROTS on a veggie pizza. What is THAT??!! What, you ran our of cucumber...?) I saw that in our last drill of the last day it came together. (MHKism #6…”you should frame this picture Kenny – its your finest hour…”) It felt great to nail it. I didn’t get the right hand to right hand dialed, but my partner later shared that he knew exactly what I was signaling into his hands (ascend, level off, wait, ascend, level off, etc.) I was pleased.

There are many reasons not to take a DIR/F class. They’re not cheap. They’re a great value, and I surely got what I wanted, and more, but they’re still some bucks. After all of these posts, maybe you think these GUE guys are still all gear Nazi’s. Maybe you think you won’t measure up, you’re not ready, its too far, I'm busy that weekend working on getting another "skill" card.... That’s all cool. Honestly, just stay away. I can speak for all the alums - if its not for you, its not for you. There are lots of reasons not to take one.

But there is only one reason to take the class – that’s to become a better diver. Your team diving will improve. Your situational awareness will improve. Your skills will be polished. You’ll meet other divers in your area that are committed to improvement and not simply want to stay static. Its simply the best training investment I’ve made yet. I recommend it for anyone.

k

I had to read it a couple of times just to take it all in. I really can't wait to take the class now. Thanks Mo2vation for the excellent report.

I wonder if SeaJay is developing post-length envy now?

Ken,

Excellent report. The next time someone does the "DIR is a long hose" routine, I'm going to point him to your post.

Glad you enjoyed it.

well dang Know I really sitting hear wondering if this class for me not because I dont want it but because of several other reasons like my size , weight ect
yes I am working on it but wonder if I will loose enough weight in time in two months hum .
anyway yes I want the class but same time I want to pass and do it right gear well I have to work on that some as my first coal was to initally buy a new psi steel tank this year then new bc/ wings. so I work on that but my big concern is weight right now I know I am at least 30 ibs over weight , so will continue to work on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The closest thing to practice I saw while there was a group of about 15 dive students, all shoulder to shoulder. And on command from their Instructor (a member of the two-fitty club himself) they all dropped their weight belts to the asphalt in a cacophonous clank. Scared the crap out of me…
A team weight ditch... man, that's funny..

You can sell your BP/W on Ebay now. You don't need it anymore. :D

medic13 once bubbled...
well dang Know I really sitting hear wondering if this class for me not because I dont want it but because of several other reasons like my size , weight ect
yes I am working on it but wonder if I will loose enough weight in time in two months hum .
anyway yes I want the class but same time I want to pass and do it right gear well I have to work on that some as my first coal was to initally buy a new psi steel tank this year then new bc/ wings. so I work on that but my big concern is weight right now I know I am at least 30 ibs over weight , so will continue to work on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mot2vation would never say this, but I can ... there was at least one class/team member who took the class and was around 30lbs overweight himself. He isn't proud of it (and working on changing the fact), but it really didn't cause a problem. Having said that, the guy in question works out 3 times a week and, despite being overweight is in good shape and pretty flexible (think valve drills) etc. So, my suggestion would be, if you're in good shape, don't let weight stop you.

Now as for gear, I did have my own BP/Wings (which I bought before I bought a tank) and I do strongly recommend that. I'm pretty sure you can borrow a set for the class, but having your own is clearly a big advantage and once you buy into this stuff, you're probably not going to want to go "backwards." Just my 2 cents though.

~<//><

Back
Top Bottom