The Authorities Took My Salvage –AGAIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found some live .50 caliber ammo dated 1944 about ten years ago, not diving but walking along the beach!

Greetings Rick this was quite an adventure and I would like to thank you for your example of doing the right thing and sharing it with us. I am not shocked that you have a talent for finding things as I have a buddy who is just like that as well.
I hope that the families of those involved can have closure.
I am very certain that they are thankful for your honesty!
Safe diving and good luck, perhaps a bag of money sealed in plastic would be next?
If so keep me in mind as you are ordering your new scooter! Have a great one.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!:)

Wow, old thread resurrected. This thread was from 2004. I had a run of finding cool stuff back then - the 40cal launch grenade, the foreign docs the FBI took, and the Barretta that turned out to be used in a murder.

These days it seems that the only stuff I find is a few old bottles and lost snorkels and junk.

I see a disturbing trend line here. Soon we are going to here 'bout a guy in Idaho raising a lost nuke with his lift bag. :11:

Do you have any trouble finding buddies? Is there a special Ordinace Disposal cert required to dive with you? :D

Have nice quite day,

Tobin

Well not a nuke but we used to find intact and live 40MM anti-aircraft rounds in the water off of Newport,RI. Nice find Rick, next time don't call the police. Never know when you might need a gun that's not yours.:eyebrow::D

We dived a spot of San Clemente Island, I think it was, that the Navy uses for target practice. We were told that we could bring spent rounds back, but not complete ones! I know a blond who brought a WWII shell back on board a NC boat, and wasn't caught until they got to shore. The cops were called to come take it, but they didn't want it. Navy didn't want it. Had a difficult time getting rid of it safely.

If it looks like a bomb or large bullet, pretend it is - and leave it. :shocked:

I've made a couple dives at an island just south of Pattaya (Thailand) called Koh Rin. Until recently the rocky island was used as target practice by the navy and you can see all sorts of ordnance down there. I've seen unexploded naval shells the size of my fins, and I use very long fins! :shocked2: Must had been 5" shells at least.
Thaiwreckdiver.com has an article about the place, warning, some gory photos in there.

It makes for a nice buoyancy control training area, nothing like a little extra incentive.

Well Al Quaeda will never lack for raw materials then, all they ever need is lying around on the sea floor waiting for a martyr-in-training to go pick it up and bring it to the IED builders shed... And if they set a few off while picking them up? Well they just got promoted to Martyr without needing the standard issue explosive jacket...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom