The Bahamas (Did you enjoy them)

Did you enjoy diving the Bahamas?

• Totally

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • Had a good/great time

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Average... little better then diving area lakes at home.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Didnt care for it much.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I'd save my money next time for another trip.

Votes: 6 8.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMariner:
What's your point? Unfortunately, this stupid behaviour can happen all over the world, not just in The Bahamas

is I saw it happen in the Bahamas nowhere else, also saw other things going on down there so I chose to make it public when ever I can. If the Bahamian goverment chose to do nothing then I will do my little bit. Its easy to do nothing and a lot of people do just that. Question for you if it go's on all over the world then do's it make it ok in your book, or do you want me to keep quiet about this one as you are affiliated with the Bahamas. Thats what it sounds like to me.
Sorry if I see a wrong then I say its wrong.

cdiver2:
is I saw it happen in the Bahamas nowhere else, also saw other things going on down there so I chose to make it public when ever I can. If the Bahamian goverment chose to do nothing then I will do my little bit. Its easy to do nothing and a lot of people do just that. Question for you if it go's on all over the world then do's it make it ok in your book, or do you want me to keep quiet about this one as you are affiliated with the Bahamas. Thats what it sounds like to me.
Sorry if I see a wrong then I say its wrong.

Excuse me, but where did I say it was okay to do that? My words were "Unfortunately, this stupid behaviour can happen all over the world, not just in The Bahamas." Do I make a point of saying something when it happens? Yes! Do I make sure that I do not do that? Yes!

And what gives you the idea that I am "affiliated with the Bahamas?" I'm not Bahamian.

BTW, when you say "if the Bahamian government chose to do nothing..." did you TELL them what happened? Or just expect them to magically know what happens in their waters?

FYI, I have unfortunately seen this happen in other places in the world than The Bahamas; INCLUDING The Keys.

SubMariner:
Excuse me, but where did I say it was okay to do that? My words were "Unfortunately, this stupid behaviour can happen all over the world, not just in The Bahamas." Do I make a point of saying something when it happens? Yes! Do I make sure that I do not do that? Yes!

And what gives you the idea that I am "affiliated with the Bahamas?" I'm not Bahamian.

BTW, when you say "if the Bahamian government chose to do nothing..." did you TELL them what happened? Or just expect them to magically know what happens in their waters?

FYI, I have unfortunately seen this happen in other places in the world than The Bahamas; INCLUDING The Keys.

Whats your point ? I saw something that was wrong and stated that fact and you chose to belittle me for it.
Yes it do's happen all over the world. the POINT is I have not seen it happen so I can-not say they did this or that.
Your affiliation you lived and earned your living there and I should imagine still have friends there.

Whats been going on at Stuarts Cove has been going on for a long time, I mean the film sets metal spikes driven into the coral to keep props in place.
There is a film beeing made right now. More damage ?. So did I report it no after I was told by another dive op there has been hundreds of complaints about them. I dont know about you but I find it a waste of time talking to the deaf, this is why I chose to speak out against them and boycott them.

If as you say you speak out against something that is wrong then why this antagonistic attitude about what Im saying ?, are you the only one that can speak out ? or are you calling me a liar ?.

cdiver2:
Whats your point ? I saw something that was wrong and stated that fact and you chose to belittle me for it.

I apologize if it came across that way. I was merely asking WHY you brought up the subject.

Yes it do's happen all over the world. the POINT is I have not seen it happen so I can-not say they did this or that.

Your words "is I saw it happen in the Bahamas nowhere else," infer to me that throughout your travels you have not seen this behaviour anywhere but in the Bahamas (eg. it is only a local phenomenon). Apparently I misunderstood.

Your affiliation you lived and earned your living there and I should imagine still have friends there.

Wow. HUGE unsubstantiated assumption. I was merely indicating that perhaps my experience there gave me a little more data from which to base my opinion, not that I had any hidden agenda with regard to The Bahamas. For the record, I don't.

Whats been going on at Stuarts Cove has been going on for a long time, I mean the film sets metal spikes driven into the coral to keep props in place.
There is a film beeing made right now. More damage ?. So did I report it no after I was told by another dive op there has been hundreds of complaints about them. I dont know about you but I find it a waste of time talking to the deaf, this is why I chose to speak out against them and boycott them.

Devils Advocate: It's unfortunate that you didn't dig a little deeper (no pun intended) with the authorities while you were there to actually find out whether or not there were indeed complaints against Stuarts Cove about the aforementioned. Hearsay from parties who are their competitors is not necessarily the most reliable source of information.

Were the metal spikes that you saw in active, live areas, or in dead areas? The only films I've seen of the SC's Shark Dives show them in flat, sandy areas with no coral. Can you elaborate?

All I'm looking for in this is tangeable facts before I start pointing fingers.

SubMariner:
I apologize if it came across that way. I was merely asking WHY you brought up the subject.

Your words "is I saw it happen in the Bahamas nowhere else," infer to me that throughout your travels you have not seen this behaviour anywhere but in the Bahamas (eg. it is only a local phenomenon). Apparently I misunderstood.

Wow. HUGE unsubstantiated assumption. I was merely indicating that perhaps my experience there gave me a little more data from which to base my opinion, not that I had any hidden agenda with regard to The Bahamas. For the record, I don't.

Devils Advocate: It's unfortunate that you didn't dig a little deeper (no pun intended) with the authorities while you were there to actually find out whether or not there were indeed complaints against Stuarts Cove about the aforementioned. Hearsay from parties who are their competitors is not necessarily the most reliable source of information.

Were the metal spikes that you saw in active, live areas, or in dead areas? The only films I've seen of the SC's Shark Dives show them in flat, sandy areas with no coral. Can you elaborate?

All I'm looking for in this is tangeable facts before I start pointing fingers.
I admit it do's go on in other places, the point I was trying to make is I have not seen it happen. Just hear say or the aftermath after a anchor has been dropped and draged, by whom I dont know could be a dive op, fishermen or may be just someone out for a day ?.
The site's I saw spikes were in live and dead coral did the spiking cause the dead coral to die, I dont know. Hearsay, the competitors showed me spots where the spikes were driven in and told me what they were used for, lighting and props if you think back to the bond and jaws movies not all the scenes were on flat sandy bottoms and if a Holywood lot is anything to go by the area used to film a scene is huge, more stuff of camera than there is on.
After been told of complaints and nothing done and the fact that I would have had to spend a $80 to get to town and back and also lose a day of my vacation I decided it was not woth it. I can probably achieve more on this board.
Im going to PM you with some other info that I dont want to put on the board,

Thanks to all for there input. Soggy's right... Being from Wisconsin I get excited seeing a bass with 15' vis. Im sure the Bahamas will suit me fine. The reason I created this Subject/poll was, I did alot of searches on the Bahamas subject and found alot of negitive stories about diving there. But suprisingly the poll is turning out to show people generally have a excellent time. This tells me that I'm probably going to find much better conditions then Ive ever been diving in. Besides that many people have different ideas what good diving is. As far as Stuarts Cove goes, I probably will use them, tho if I do see something that isnt expected from a professional dive operation I will say something to them. ( I may even show them this post) Thanks for everyones comments.

xtracheese,

I'm sure you will have a great time. It is hard to get 100% thumbs up on anything. I think your poll is pretty accurate.

Don't forget to post a trip report when you get back.

We stayed on the Grand Bahama Island at the Viva Resort and LOVED the accomadations and diving. If you are looking for an all-inclusive relaxed resort, this is the place to go. The boats left directly from the resort so we didn't have to deal with getting transportation somewhere or anything else. The divemasters allowed us to choose dive sites we wanted to visit and the shark diving is definately a good option, even for those who are beginners. We did two morning dives everyday, came back to the resort for lunch and then went out for another dive in the afternoon.The boats weren't croweded, and we felt the experience was great.

I had the good fortune of being contracted to teach a private Nitrox and advanced course to a group of divers in ABACO 2 years ago and did some of the best diving of my life as well as meeting some very,very fine people.

ABACO has one of the longest barrier reef in the world and is a laid back quiet place with warm people and has a very non-commercial/non-touristy feel. The reefs I dove were honeycombed with caves you could go in an out of easily, a variety of fish etc. etc...(god I want to go back so bad.)

One of the "locals" I taught was Tim Higgs who now helps run Abaco Dive Adventures and he knows the island like no one else.

This trip came at a very good time for me as the week before I lost a good friend of mine in a diving accident (I took the news very hard) and I was seriously considering packing it in and ABACO truly healed my soul and holds a very special place in my diving memories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom