The Battle: Sea & Sea YS vs SeaLife Strobe Sea Dragon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Newer underwater photographer who enjoys taking pictures for personal happiness with no drive to do anything other than post on facebook to show family/friends that I dive and they don't so they should be jealous. :)

Therefore I don't need super fancy. I also don't want dog-poop like products either.

I want a strobe with manual settings so I can grow in my photography skill and aspire to post one day on instagram.
I have a ball mount system.

I know Sea & Sea YS01 is likely the "better" strobe, but why. What makes it "better" than the SeaLife Sea Dragon.

Can you even mount the SeaLife Sea Dragon strobe on a ball mount? If the answer is no then this battle is over.

Many thanks in advance for your knowledgeable and amazing answers!

Don't know if it's detachable, but doesn't look like you can remove it from the tray and mount on a ball?? The downside is long 5s recycle time, the YS_01 is better at 2.5s and the INON S2000 even better at 1.5s. It also has less flashes per set of batteries. Here's a comparison page: Best Strobe for Underwater - The Ultimate Strobe Guide | Mozaik UW

I would look at the S-2000, another advantage it has is the INON slave sensor is much more sensitive than the S&S, which means more reliable triggering.

Thanks Chris Ross! Awesome information and thoughts. I really appreciate the breakdown of big reasons why the Sea & Sea is better. Rockstar!

I have used both SnS and Inon and for me it is the SnS for its ability to sustain a battery flood and survive. SnS and Inon are considered to be the best flashes out there for good reason. Both are well thought out and have worked well for a long time.

A s/h SnS or an Inon would be a better buy than a new one outside of these 2.

Proviso: I flooded an Inon and a SnS very different outcomes. I have never used Ikelite but told they are very good. I drive my flashes ONLY on Manual.

There is a ball mount adapter available from sealife so all sealife lights & strobes will work with any system.

I have a pair of Sea Dragons. Got a good deal on them. I shoot in manual and have been happy with them. Recycle time is slower than others. Varies from about 1 sec to 5 sec. note that your camera cycle time can be controlling factor. I find them to be a good combination of price/ performance/size and weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom