The BEST Dive Flag Float by MAKO Spearguns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
I have to wonder if one reason so many scuba divers fail to tow a float is because they are not using the optimal gear. For example, a round float ball is hard to pull and generates tremendous drag in a current. An innertube with a flag, provides good hand holds to rest on, but it also challenging to tow through the surf and provides a lot of drag.

The typical “dive flag with float” configuration is inexpensive, but will be pulled underwater in anything less than a mild current and it has no reserve buoyancy to provide diver support on the surface.

What’s a better way? We recommend that diver consider a combination of:

The hard float is essentially a life guard “rescue can”. It has several hand holds, is indestructible, can be towed through the surf because it is so hydrodynamic – yet still provides considerable buoyancy - which may be necessary in an emergency. (This is why life guards use these floats). The dive flag mount is very securely attached with a strong elastic belt that is fitted with a lead counter weight that works to keep the flag upright.

MHHF2-2.jpg

I’ve put a lot of thought into this. We have an optional “Florida legal” dive flag which meets the size requirement AND includes the mandatory flag stiffener which is mandated when diving within the State of Florida. The small, white, plastic ball on top of the fiberglass rod is added strictly for your safety. Should someone accidentally fall onto the float while on a boat or shore, the ball may provide some degree of protection.

mhhfr-i-weight_dtl.jpg

We've added a strong, inexpensive reel which has 150-ft of nylon line. This reel will not free spool which can result in a bird’s nest of line. The reel has an automatic ratcheting lever that is easily controlled by the diver. You press the level with your thumb and line will be released. When you want to stop the release of line, you release the lever and the reel will instantly stop releasing line. There is no knob to tighten or loosen. Release of line is accomplished completely with just one hand.

MUR.1-2.jpg

We’ve had customers use this reel to anchor a kayak, so it can definitely take the tension generated from a dive float in strong currents.

We also offer a small grappling hook which can allow the diver to anchor the float on appropriate bottom structure. The hook can be attached to the frame (handle) of the reel.

reef-hook.jpg

Once of the big benefits of using a good reel on your float is that you can easily and precisely control the amount of line deployed. If you are diving near tall shipwrecks or reefs, then you may want to keep the line shorter, so it is less likely to get tangled on the superstructure of a wreck. If the current is strong and there are no similar hazards, then paying out additional line (scope) will make the float easier to tow, because the angle will be more gentle between the float and the diver.

Of course, using a reel to tow a float is best when ascending as well. The diver can easily wind up the line, which helps to control the ascent rate. Once a safety stop depth is reached, the ratcheting function is very nice because you can hang below the float or even drop the reel without fear of it falling back down (thanks to the ratcheting lock function) . You also have the security of ascending DIRECTLY under the float as you slowly wind in the last 15 feet or so of line.

We assembled everything into one package and threw in a 10% discount.

SCUBA Divers Surface Float Package | Mako Spearguns

MSDSFP-2.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Thanks
Dano

How about a forum discount. Say 20% if we buy the package?

I saw your original post back in May, and thought it had some interesting features at the time.

A question, how big is this flag?
While a 12"x12" flag is the "Florida minimum", I use a "Boat Flag" that is 24"x20" for increased visibility.

Also, my flag rides about 2' or more higher than this one would.
again, for better visibility.
Could this be configured with a taller staff?
Clearly, the taller the staff, the more different/tippy the center of gravity.

The reel.
It is a good one.
I have one almost exactly like it sitting in the garage.
But I personally hate reels as a rule.
I think mostly because they have Dacron line, and the stuff sinks.
Which is a GREAT idea in a cave, or a wreck, but sucks in the ocean on reef dives.

As to the line on the reel,
I prefer an old fashioned yellow line reel/wrappie thing with yellow poly line, that floats,
and that I can tie and then untie knots if necessary quickly while submerged.

I generally hate reels except on wreck dives when I need to drop like a rock and need a very fast deploy on the line.
I also do not like having to give up a hand in carrying them.
I Typically slip the wrappie thing high on my right arm while submerged.

The "Lifeguard Can" feature, I like very much.
The handles, and low drag are a real advantage.

The hook.
Pretty good, but I prefer a three tine grapple.
I have had this type of hook flop over and drag a ways a few times before I could recover possession.

That might be a SoFla reef dive issue.

Overall, I do like the system.

I would just tweak it a bit for my specific style of diving.

Chug
Sometime gadget nut, like all other divers.

don't own it at this point, but have recommended it a few times when people have asked. I use a sort of DIY version off of a lifeguard rescue buoy that was much cheaper to make since I had a rescue can already. It's a good piece of kit, just not worth replacing my version at this point. Would love to review the actual version since I assume it's a bit better, but have no justification to purchase one

I posted elsewhere that this seems to have a good potential here as tube floats are a bear in the current (river drifts) because they really pull you, and "pencil" floats are just too easy to pull under (hated by surface support/spotters). I'd love to give one a try. Regrettably, our dive season is winding down now, and buying gear now is "silly". Maybe I can convince the wife about a Christmas present....

I do wonder about visibility though.... I wish it was taller, but the COG would then change, likely resulting in it tipping.....(I wonder how much weight would be required to offset an additional foot of height for the flag)

I like the idea but as well as the height concern I'd like to see how they go being attached at the front like that. How much press would it take to pull it down at the front and either have it floating vertical or at least on a large angle

I own one of these and have been diving with it frequently. I have found that the best way to tow this is with a "bridle" going through the handles and the nose, kind of like a kite. If you just tie it by the nose it will stand on one end in current. If you tie it just by the handles, it will tow sideways. I use a DPV when I dive, so I have a tendency to pull the flag under. That won't happen with this float. The only problem with this float is strong current. In strong current this thing will pull you like a scooter. The first time it happened to me I was convinced the boat had snagged my flag. This I believe is due to the float not sinking. The float works well. It is highly visible, cannot be pulled under, and is very durable. The flag that comes with it is nice also. I attach a two pound scuba weight to the bottom of mine to help it stay upright. I would recommend this but be aware having a flag that won't sink has its pros and cons!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw your original post back in May, and thought it had some interesting features at the time.

A question, how big is this flag?
While a 12"x12" flag is the "Florida minimum", I use a "Boat Flag" that is 24"x20" for increased visibility.

Also, my flag rides about 2' or more higher than this one would.
again, for better visibility.
Could this be configured with a taller staff?
Clearly, the taller the staff, the more different/tippy the center of gravity.

The reel.
It is a good one.
I have one almost exactly like it sitting in the garage.
But I personally hate reels as a rule.
I think mostly because they have Dacron line, and the stuff sinks.
Which is a GREAT idea in a cave, or a wreck, but sucks in the ocean on reef dives.

As to the line on the reel,
I prefer an old fashioned yellow line reel/wrappie thing with yellow poly line, that floats,
and that I can tie and then untie knots if necessary quickly while submerged.

I generally hate reels except on wreck dives when I need to drop like a rock and need a very fast deploy on the line.
I also do not like having to give up a hand in carrying them.
I Typically slip the wrappie thing high on my right arm while submerged.

The "Lifeguard Can" feature, I like very much.
The handles, and low drag are a real advantage.

The hook.
Pretty good, but I prefer a three tine grapple.
I have had this type of hook flop over and drag a ways a few times before I could recover possession.

That might be a SoFla reef dive issue.

Overall, I do like the system.

I would just tweak it a bit for my specific style of diving.

Chug
Sometime gadget nut, like all other divers.

Chug:

Thanks for all the comments and questions. I really appreciate your insight on this application.

The flag is 12 by 12 inches as required by Florida for a dive float. A much larger flag which would be used on a boat would be too big for this application. Also as required, the flag has a stiffener. We also added a small plastic ball at the top to provide some means of personal protection, should someone fall onto the float/flag on shore or on a boat. We've not seen anyone else do something similar.

The float/flag/weight system we put together works well and is reasonably stable. As others have mentioned, extending the flag significantly would upset the stability and make the flag more susceptible to strong winds. We think it is the "best" compromise to provide a stable platform that is streamlined and can support a diver at the surface in an emergency or to rest.

When diving without a reel, a sinking line can get caught on a reef or wreck if it is allowed to go slack. So many people select a light weight line (rope really) that floats when NOT using a reel.

A reel allows the diver to wind in any slack in the line quickly, so this reduces the chances of snags - a more effective means to manage the line- rather than depending on a line that has a tendency to float. As you are aware, it is very benefical to try to keep the line short when diving in close proximity to a wreck with a lot of vertical relief- so as to help avoid snags in a strong current.

A reel is advantageous to allow the diver to reel in the float gradually during the ascent and facilitates precise depth control when doing a safety stop. It also allows the diver to ascend immediately adjacent to the float which should be safer with respect to boat traffic.

As for hand carrying/towing the rig, the stainless hook provides a very good handle as well as allowing a diver to quickly hook off to a section of wreck or appropriate hard bottom. As you probably are aware, this reel allows a very quick deployment using just one hand by depressing the (spring loaded) locking lever on the reel. This can be helpful when the diver wants a little extra slack to allow a few moments of tension free conditions to more easily hook off the reel to the bottom. This is only a factor when diving in significant currents.

A question was raised about how this float will perform in very high currents. Obviously a typical "pencil type" float will be easily submerged in any type of significant current. In a very strong current, the nose of our float will begin to tip under, but the flag will still be visible in most conditions. If the current is very strong, extending the reel line is beneficial because it places a more horizontal pull on the float, rather than vertical.

Thanks everyone for the comments and questions! As for the price of this set up, we have discounted the items when we placed them into a package.

In general, our prices prices are EXTREMELY competitive because we sell direct with no middleman or retail dive store between us and the diver.

Dive Safe!

Dano

---------- Post added August 30th, 2015 at 09:39 PM ----------

Fdarden:

Thanks for the additional comments and providing the best way to tow the float. I had not seen your comment, since I was responding to earlier ones..

Thanks

Dano

Could you put a 14" x 16" flag on it? Anyone else have one that can offer their opinion?

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom