The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunday I went out with Underwater Explorer’s (Kevin’s boat). Had a
great couple of dives. The seas were 3-5 with the occasional 6
footer, but underneath pure heaven. About 60 feet of viz and a decent
amount of current. I didn’t catch the name of the reefs but site
number one rocked. I saw three turtle, a couple of green morays, more
squid, and a nurse shark cruising the reef. The water was warm. I
went with no wetsuit. I love summer :D Had 1:05 on the first dive.
The second dive was another reef and 55minutes. But dive number one
was so good it was just hard to compare anything to it. Nonetheless,
another great reef. The growth up there is just beautiful. I am
quickly becoming a fan of the diving in Boyton Beach.

Hey! Sorry for the gap in posts. We've been crazy busy and I haven't had time to sleep, so the thread got kinda neglected. Anyway, we've had pretty fair diving lately. I have a bunch of pictures from all the dives we've been doing, but I didn't make any notes about where they were taken or what the diving was like on that particular day, so I've just been throwing them up on the business website in the photo gallery.
I do remember what the diving was like on Sunday though, so here's the report.

BDC Sunday, 26 August, 2007.
Seas were calm, the sun was shining, it was a good start.
We started out on the south end of the reef at Clubhouse. Vis was a bit off, maybe 45 or 50' with pretty big particles suspended in it. The current was mild and to the north. Water temps were warm, I showed 86 on my machine. A couple of folks were lobstering, but I don't think they found very many. I only saw one, a big one, but I left him alone.

P1010034.jpg

A big lobster on Clubhouse. He was blue!

Next we did the Gazebo ledge, up on the north end. I think the vis was actually a bit better up there. This is a very active part of the reef. The current remained very mild and it was quite a relaxing dive. I see pretty many moray eels at work, but let me tell you that on this dive I found a for-real giant green moray. His noggin was about the size of a German Shepherd's head and his body was as thick as my thigh.

P1010048-2.jpg

The giant moray from Gazebo. He was not at all scared of me or my camera and sat there patiently about 3" away from my lens. He actually seemed quite curious.

In the afternoon we headed back out, and jumped down on the Castor. Seas were still flat and the sun was still shining. I dropped in to tie off and was surprised to find almost zero current. Vis at depths below 70' opened up to about 60', and there may have been a half degree of so thermocline. As usual, Goliath Grouper were all over the place.

Now, I'm not a guy who complains a whole lot, but I have to say that I got kinda upset when another dive boat pulled up dropped divers on this wreck while we were on it. I think it's just a crappy thing to do to the customers of both boats involved, and I personally don't do it. Unfortunately, Captain Larry of the Manta doesn't feel the same way and plopped a bunch down on us. Thanks Larry.
Luckily I recognized some of the divers and went back up to the boat, grabbed a bunch of business cards and passed them out down on the wreck. Anyway, enough of my bellyaching.
There were probably about 40 big grouper on the wreck, and they packed themselves into every nook and cranny they could fit into, which are mostly big nooks and crannies. I have one shot of five grouper heads staring out form the lower engine room hatch, but it had alot of backscatter, so I'm embarrassed to put it up. I got an okay shot of one of them though.

P1010152.jpg

A Goliath Grouper peers out from the lower engine room hatch on the Castor.

The last dive we did was Castle Ledge to Lynn's. Current was still at zero when we started out, but started just barely trickling south about halfway through the dive. We pressed onward to the north because it was so slight, it wasn't worth turning around and covering the same ground twice. Unfortunately, my batteries were dead, so no pics from this one.

omigosh, that screen-filling lobster pic has my mouth watering!!!

DebbyDiver:
omigosh, that screen-filling lobster pic has my mouth watering!!!

I told you he was big. I tried to resize the images and reload them, but they were still giant. Sorry about that. On the bright side, you can even see the parasites on the moray!

Hmmmm, I see they are on Photobucket...it really should let you resize on their website and give you a new link.

On the other hand, they are GORGEOUS in all of their big huge glory!!!

DebbyDiver:
Hmmmm, I see they are on Photobucket...it really should let you resize on their website and give you a new link.

On the other hand, they are GORGEOUS in all of their big huge glory!!!
I did resize them there, then I deleted all of the img tags from the original post and pasted the m in again, but it didn't work, they're still gargantuan. Next I deleted the img tags, then copied the original post and pasted it as a whole new post and copied and pasted the now resized images from photobucket, but still no dice.
As a last resort, I put some screw clamps on my monitor and tightened them equally in the vertical and horizontal planes until the monitor case cracked. Still big.

Scubakevdm:
As a last resort, I put some screw clamps on my monitor and tightened them equally in the vertical and horizontal planes until the monitor case cracked. Still big.

You mean that didn't work for you? Funny, that fix always works for me! :rofl3:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom