The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kev,

Stop fiddling with the dials, the mods have control of your screen :D
I think staff here at SB have tweaked the img tagging so pics are more uniform and big pics never run off the right side of the screen, I think a by-product is that smaller pics are also made to fill the screen if the user is running 768*1024 resolution. (auto-resizing is what they enabled) See this thread although they never state it's been enabled yet, I suspect it has: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=198459

Hey Kev,
Good to see you back in Boynton!
err, like on a dive boat! to think 4 months in Florida and we were like two ships at sea!
Dude looks like November will have to make plans to hit the water-almost said Splash!
Dive safe! and hope all is well with you and yours,
Dive safe Girls,
Brad

Brad!

Long time, no read! The drysuit is staying dry in Chicago, haven't gotten up there too much lately. Next time in FL, LET ME KNOW! I owe you a dive!

Rich

So hopefully I will remember to re-size the images for today before I throw them up here. We did a crew dive today since nobody else felt like diving. I try to do this once a week so that the captains have a chance to dive, and so that I have a chance to dive for fun... not that diving during work isn't fun, but I like to have a dive every now and again that's all about me.
The first spot I dove today was the Castor, because one of the captains had never been on it. We actually dive it quite a bit because it has become so popular. The neat thing about the Castor is it's population of Goliath Grouper (formally known as Jewish). I guess there's somewhere between 30 and 40 on the wreck now. Seas were fairly calm.... around 2'. The current was slight and to the south. Vis above 60 feet or so was 100' +, but at depth was only around 50'.water temps were 85 for the first 40 minutes of the dive, and then a powerfully cold thermocline rolled in below 70'. The Goliath Groupers were out in full force, and eventually, after the first 31 minutes, I had the whole wreck to myself. They got downright cozy with me. There was also an immense school of bait, about the size of the superstructure of the wreck swirling about with various jacks and cuberas picking off stragglers from it. It was pretty intense. I kick myself for mot bringing my wide angle lens on this one, but even without it I was able to get some pretty good shots of the grouper.

P1010007-2.jpg

One of the many Goliath Grouper of the Castor.

P10100282.jpg

This guy popped up over the rail and almost mowed me down.

P1010050-3.jpg

I'm kinda embarrassed to put this one up because of all the backscatter I managed to capture, but it shows how many grouper you might expect to see by looking in any given direction.

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to wrap the report of for tonight, I'm so tired I can't even see straight. I'll finish it in the morning.

Okay, I'm back and I've had a nap.
The second dive was on Clubhouse, for Naoko's research on Maze Coral bleaching. The current was still slightly to the south, vis was about 50'. Water temps were about 84 or so... a bit cooler, but no icy thermocline yet. Naoko is studying the coral, and why it turns white in the autumn, so I was really only supposed to be taking pictures of maze corals and measuring tapes, but I found the cutest little juvenile queen angelfish and couldn't resist squeezing a couple of shots off. I guess I'll never be a great scientist.

P1010094.jpg

Maze Coral

P10101122.jpg

The juvie queen angel. I guess that would make it a princess angel.

Hello. How's about another exciting episode of...

The Boynton Dive Chronicles! Chronicles! Chronicles!

So, looking back at my last post I see that it's been awhile, and there are very good reasons for this. It's because I've been pretty derned busy between the boat and students and stuff, and I'm lame. Generally, since the last report we've had good water. There was a little thermocline for a couple of days a week or so back, and we had some green water with that, but it was short lived. Recently (the last couple of days) the water has been kinda rough, but very clear.
Things are starting to step down a bit from break-neck as we slide out of the end of summer and into fall, so I have found myself on a Saturday afternoon with nothing to do but write the chronicle. I missed alot of days, but I can still remember Thursday and yesterday. I'll get to work on them shortly.

Hey Kev,
Good to see you back in Boynton!
err, like on a dive boat! to think 4 months in Florida and we were like two ships at sea!
Dude looks like November will have to make plans to hit the water-almost said Splash!
Dive safe! and hope all is well with you and yours,
Dive safe Girls,
Brad
Hi Brad!
Somehow I missed you up there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom