The boys are gone cold training/working dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Our two-training days this month are turning out to be leaning more towards working dives.

Feb. 15-16. We are going to start around noon and get the new guys into some enclosures and big overhead environments both in daylight and after dark.

Then right back in a 0800 for some searching dives. We have some rather interesting things/people missing we hope to shed some light on.

I wish we were doing this last week during the seasonally high temps and bright sunny days. But Noooooo, we have to wait until the weather reports conditions that just plain suck and single digit temps.

Oh well I guess we have to earn our $.50. :D

I’ll let you know what happens when I thaw out. :D

Gary D.

you should have your training dives on weekends so I can come pla.. I mean train with you :D oh well my reg is going in for service tomorrow so I am not diving my personal (non full face) unless I HAVE to :D

Greg D.:
you should have your training dives on weekends so I can come pla.. I mean train with you :D oh well my reg is going in for service tomorrow so I am not diving my personal (non full face) unless I HAVE to :D
Weekends? What do you think we are, a volunteer team? :D

Wednesday’s are our common day where we all work. So the shifts are the fattest making deployment issues easier to deal with. So sometimes we get lucky and get Tue or Thurs tossed in with it.

Put the beer on hold for a couple of days and come play, oops train.

Gary D.

Today the weatherman did the right thing. He was flippin wrong and we had a good sunny sort of warm day.

We started out at noon. First off we introduced the 3 FNG’s to the group. They are all from our ranks but the two from outside agencies got to know them.

From our 9 in-house we had one at another training so 8 were there. Out of our 5 from outside agencies, one had child-care issues, one had to work and one was sick leaving two that showed.

I then issued out three sets of gear to the FNG’s. It got some of the old timers grumbling because I issued out new gear to them. BUT when they weren’t looking some things changed. Hehehe

Then down to the city docks for some playing under the cruse boats. Lots of hazards to contend with including ice and moving those lake monsters around for fueling.

There were some problems but they got dealt with and worked out which is all part of the training.

I stayed dry because I’m just getting over a cold and have a nasty cough. I didn’t want to go overhead with it. I’m going tomorrow on the working dives. We already have the teams set up, as we will be in two locations about 4 miles apart looking for the same thing.

The other team should hit depths around 90’ while ours will hit around 125’. On one hand I hope we find what we are looking for but on the other hand I hope we don’t.

We were going to do a night dive tonight but everyone decided not to. We just simulated it. I tossed some water from the cooler over everyone and a little while later I tossed some more for a safety stop.

All in all a very good day. I just wish I could have gotten wet but if I did and my other half found out I’d have been in major trouble for a while. Tomorrow is a working dive so it is a littler easier to sell her on it. :D

Today’s depth <20’
Vis near zero
Temp. it hadn’t all frozen, some was still liquid. :D

More tomorrow.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom